Motivation whilst being made redundant

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I can remember you wanted to go didn't you?

It's easy street just don't fuck up and enjoy a 12 month wind down.

Awful planning by them mind. I can't see the point of people around when they know redundancy Is coming. If needs then a decent retention bonus should be there to keep people focused

Did you still get your redundancy? ( if you don't mind me asking).
Yes I did. I think they were glad to see the back of me as I was causing a bit of grief. It didn't last long while trying to job search and pay the mortgage etc etc as I'd been in a bit of a niche area. Another reason why I'm still bitter and twisted about it. :neutral:

I was made redundant from a job I absolutely loved in 2013 I knew I was going in January and was supposed to be there till July and that was bad enough. I appealed the decision, but was told in June that I was unsuccessful and I basically said 'I'm going now.' It was a hideous way to end a 20 year stint working in Arts for Gateshead Council. I haven't been able to find anything similar and hate the job I've got now. I feel for anyone in similar circumstances especially as I knew that they would spread my job amongst other people. It's soul destroying. And I'm still angry about it.

That is shit like.

Care less. Go in, do your role, finish at your proper time, enjoy life on the outside and look forward to that payout.

This.

Recently went through this situation myself, lasted in total 1 and a half years from them saying the site was closing to being on the dole. Only things that kept me sane were limiting the amount I talked to my coworkers (depressed the shit out of me) doing stuff I put off in my personal life (travelled and mended a few relationships) and cutting down on the drink at the time it would have made me a more bitter fuck. Oh and knowing I had cash at the end of it, if I never hit the people we had to train to take our jobs
That talking to colleagues is a big thing mind, a lot are sitting on mortgage free houses, and not a kick arse off an age where they can start pulling their final salary pension without penalties, yet you'd think the world was ending the way some talk. I'm only 40 so have at least 15 years left in me, yet I'm the happiest twat out of them, but they're dragging me down.

@TheWanderer I'm in s smilar position mate which I've mentioned on here before, march 2019 is our date ... known for couple of year but because I'm in a final salary pension scheme I didn't want to just leave and walk away from that . Still shit though, horrible atmosphere in office and has been for long time ,
Will you get an ok payoff ? Maybe start to get clued up now for possible jobs etc , don't let it eat away at you, a lot can still happen in a year

From what I can remember you wanted to go didn't you?

It's easy street just don't fuck up and enjoy a 12 month wind down.

Awful planning by them mind. I can't see the point of people around when they know redundancy Is coming. If needs then a decent retention bonus should be there to keep people focused
Yeah I want to leave...need a new challenge and want to crack on looking for new jobs and getting on with my life, it's just being dragged out. I've still got 12 months at this stage.

That is shit like.
I still feel like I could do with some counselling tbh! :lol: My main problem's that I'm now doing a job stuck in front of a computer, nothing like my entire work experience and on a really shit wage. The council has now got rid of their entire Arts Team - apart from the line manager who has no one to manage. I don't know who she's sleeping with!

That talking to colleagues is a big thing mind, a lot are sitting on mortgage free houses, and not a kick arse off an age where they can start pulling their final salary pension without penalties, yet you'd think the world was ending the way some talk. I'm only 40 so have at least 15 years left in me, yet I'm the happiest twat out of them, but they're dragging me down.
It's shit like, I had to say privately to 1 or 2 who were looking at £100k+ payoffs "listen we are all getting binned so will you just stop talking about it constantly, nothing we can do about it and your depressing the shit out of everyone" worked for a few weeks. Luckily my job 80% individual work. Just grinned and got on with it, without taking it outside with me.

I still feel like I could do with some counselling tbh! :lol: My main problem's that I'm now doing a job stuck in front of a computer, nothing like my entire work experience and on a really shit wage. The council has now got rid of their entire Arts Team - apart from the line manager who has no one to manage. I don't know who she's sleeping with!
BREXIT

@TheWanderer I'm in s smilar position mate which I've mentioned on here before, march 2019 is our date ... known for couple of year but because I'm in a final salary pension scheme I didn't want to just leave and walk away from that . Still shit though, horrible atmosphere in office and has been for long time ,
Will you get an ok payoff ? Maybe start to get clued up now for possible jobs etc , don't let it eat away at you, a lot can still happen in a year
Enough cash to see me for 13 months without having to work, probably more if I stopped wasting dosh.

Got fairly standard IT skills in service, operations and project management so finding a new job shouldn't be a problem, and I may try contracting as to test the waters with other companies as I've only ever worked for one company, so I'm not tied down again.

Something similar happened to me and in the end I had to tell people to shut up moaning.

There was one lass who had no mortgage, her hubby earned a fortune and yet she moaned and cried constantly for 12 mths. We had folk being kicked out without redundancy (less then 2 years service) who had mortgages and young families, yet this one lass was a nightmare!!

Corbyn will sort it.

:lol: she's definitely head bobbing someone.

This morning was the first time ever I felt like I couldn't cope with being in the office today and struggled like fuck out of bed to get to work.

Anyone been in a similar situation where you basically know your role is redundant and you're still expected to give 100% to deliver work which is basically nails in your own coffin? I've been given an estimated date of this time next year as when I'll be gone, and the whole office is the same meaning it's a glum office with the life draining out of everyone. Not only have I got to keep myself motivated but I've also got to try and motivate my team.

I'll get a decent package at the end of it having been with the company over 20 years , but the thought of that isn't helping...a year away until I can move on seems a hell of a long time away but no way am I giving up the package.
It's already having the desired effect

Probably a bit like a health diagnosis, you've been told you have a year to live ,I could die tomorrow .No job is safe ,really .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back