Most unexpectedly good tourist destination you’ve been to?

The Dome before it became the 02 Arena. It was slated in the press at the time so I wasn't expecting much when I went there but it was brilliant. It only dawned on me then that all the slating was about the cost and delays, the finished product was a fantastic surprise.

Bora Bora. So great they named it twice. Same as Wagga Wagga.

why do they call Wagga Wagga, Wagga but not Woy Woy, Woy?*

*A Spike Milligan classic
Not too keen on KL. Not as organised as Singapore but as manic fun as Bangkok. Someone once told me "Do business in Singapore, keep your family in KL and your mistress in Bangkok"

Phnom Penh is a very strange place. On previous trips I've loved and hated it at the same time. Still, you can get a beer for 50 cents, so what more do you want.

Love Hanoi. It's top of my list to go back to when SE Asia reopens. Via Bangkok of course.

you could say that about malaysia as a whole i reckon. i love thailand and would go back any time but really not fussed about going back to malaysia.

Last edited:
you could say that about malaysia as a whole i reckon. i love thailand and would go back any time but really not fussed about going back to malaysia.

Malaysia is a much undiscovered and underrated country. Some fantastic food (especially in Penang), spectacular scenery and is the most developed country in SE Asia (apart from Singapore) while still being relatively affordable (except alcohol), but you don't go there for a party. Singapore and Bangkok are both incredible cities in very different ways but KL is just stuck in the middle.

Back