Most stupid rule in the workplace

Company brought in a gloves at all time policy specifically for the job, on Feb 4th (never forget the date) as still no gloves other than the ordinary , got a bollocking the other week for standing filling in paperwork with a pen without gloves on ffs. Asked where the marigolds were for whilst washing the dishes and the oven gloves for getting bait out of the oven and the safety man fucked off sharpish.

Aye. These people don't get people.

Systems should be ready to go instantly. If not then they should pay people for their time. They should never expect people to work for nowt.

I remember my useless fat arse manager shouting at me for leaving early. I checked the times (I didn't even take calls) and I pressed they button 3 seconds early.

What a tit.

I still take calls but sporadic and not my entire job anymore so these days I can leave at 16:55 and no one bats an eyelid. Mind I’m usually in before 08:30 but that’s just me.

Used to take back to back calls all day for 11 hours a shift and if I came off a call at say 7:59 then I had to take the next one, only given time off in lieu if you went over by half an hour so shudder to think how much free graft they got out of all of us.

I remember one lass logging off three minutes early and our manager ringing her when she was in the car park and making her come back in and take another call or she’d face disciplinary action. That was f***ing awful.

I work on sites across the country but sometimes up in the North East aswell. Our company expect you to just sit in the office twiddling your thumbs if you get finished early and are working local. I can understand it to a degree as they are paying you till 5pm regardless but to me it just lowers moral. If they let you go home an hour or two early I'd be more inclined to do more for them when they need me to.

I work on sites across the country but sometimes up in the North East aswell. Our company expect you to just sit in the office twiddling your thumbs if you get finished early and are working local. I can understand it to a degree as they are paying you till 5pm regardless but to me it just lowers moral. If they let you go home an hour or two early I'd be more inclined to do more for them when they need me to.
As a boss I used to let people go home early if they had finished their work for the day on the assumption they would reciprocate if I ever asked them to do extra.

Almost all of them simply refused to work a longer shift if we had an emergency job so I stopped letting them go home early.

Back