Most stupid rule in the workplace

The last accountancy form I worked for had a rule that all emails must be checked by a manager or a partner before sending. Partners were the only ones allowed to send emails unchecked. I was a qualified Chartered Accountant and needed to get someone to check the wording on my emails FFS.

What made it worse was that the reason for the rule was that one of the partners had accidentally clicked “reply all” instead of reply and insulted a client who then went to another firm - this rule wasn’t going to prevent something like that happening again!

A clear desk policy, basically we all have our own desks but we’re not allowed anything on them other than a computer.

Absolutely no reason for it, we don’t have a cleaner and clean up after ourselves. Lad got disciplined for having a photo of his kids on his desk. So we photoshopped a load of kids pictures with the managers face on the night before and left them all over the managers desk while he was in the disciplinary meeting. Manager moved on soon after. Policy still in place mind.

A clear desk policy, basically we all have our own desks but we’re not allowed anything on them other than a computer.

Absolutely no reason for it, we don’t have a cleaner and clean up after ourselves. Lad got disciplined for having a photo of his kids on his desk. So we photoshopped a load of kids pictures with the managers face on the night before and left them all over the managers desk while he was in the disciplinary meeting. Manager moved on soon after. Policy still in place mind.

Crackers!

If I don't like a rule in the workplace I just don't abide by it, I remember once I got took into the naughty office and told I had to start following the rules like everyone else, I said no. They said ok fair enough and let me go without a warning or anything and I carried on as per usual. They cant do shit man, unless you do misconduct you cant get a warning. Tell them you are not wearing a name badge because you don't want to and watch what they do, they will take you in the office and attempt to tell you off but just say 'no' and that will be the end of the matter.
That’s weak management like.

We have a rule that says
“Do not dry gloves in the microwaves” Because some f***ing imbecile started a fire in the kitchen.

Also that hard hats are required whenever we leave the building. We’re the only department that has this rule. Everyone else working in the same location are fine without one :rolleyes:

Last edited:
We’re not supposed to drink during working hours yet have two staff bars on site which are open during the day. Well, technically only one of them is open at a time; one’s a summer bar, the other a winter bar.
The last site I was at in Kazakhstan had a zero tolerance policy on drugs and alcohol with mandatory breath tests every morning plus random screening during the day. The accommodation facility had two bars selling Efes at around 90p a pint. One of the managers told me it's government regs, they have to provide 'x' facilities per head of occupation. Gyms, football pitches, night clubs.... madness. We were up at 4:45, who the fuck would go to a nightclub?

I'm considering banning mobiles at my place. They get on my tits. The lads are constantly being harassed by their partners for menial reasons. Whats wrang with these Women? Cant they cope on their own for a few hours?
Christ, I used to gan away to work for weeks on end, with no real contact with home avaialble. No phones, no internet, no nowt apart from written letters, and SSB radio. My Mrs just got on with it.
This country is fucked.......

That was then, this is now, you dinosaur.

Where I used to work tried to make everyone taking calls to be there 10 minutes before their shift started. They didn't want to pay them extra though.

The idiotic little manager they employed thought they should work for nowt.

The last accountancy form I worked for had a rule that all emails must be checked by a manager or a partner before sending. Partners were the only ones allowed to send emails unchecked. I was a qualified Chartered Accountant and needed to get someone to check the wording on my emails FFS.

What made it worse was that the reason for the rule was that one of the partners had accidentally clicked “reply all” instead of reply and insulted a client who then went to another firm - this rule wasn’t going to prevent something like that happening again!
We send the same 3 reports throughout the day (obviously updated every 8 hours) but the send to has to be in a certain order on the to and CC list.
To, has to be in the order of high boss down. Then the CC is all the people on a similar position but has to be in seniority order.

It’s pathetic. I tested it one day and got a phone call telling me off from one of the middle managers claiming the top bosses didn’t like it (it was obviously his ego because like the top bosses have time or gave a fuck)

We used to have a manager who would make up rules like this, clear desk policy, no eating at desks, phone's locked in drawers etc. She'd enforce them for a week or 2 and then forget about them and go on her next shit brainwave. She was the epitome of micro management for no rhyme or reason other than because she could.

There was a party when she left

The off site mandarins have decreed that everyone should wear lab coats and safety boots, even when sitting in the office all day. Needless to say, that’s being ignored.

We also had a clear desk policy. That lasted for about a week when our floor was renovated and then everyone stopped caring.

We were supposed to lock our laptops away in lockers and male sure we didn’t have any papers or documents left out. We had to wear our passes with our photos at all times when in the office (part of a H&S drive, not sure how wearing a pass will stop me injuring myself).

That all went out the window when the director who brought in those ideas got the push. Utter jobsworth and completely incompetent to boot.

Currently we don’t have any stupid rules I can think of.

We have a sign telling us not to drink from the toilet as they’re filled by harvested rainwater. These are in the cubicles so it’s not even talking about the basin taps

So basically wheat they’re saying is if they were filled from the mains it would be ok :lol:

We also had a clear desk policy. That lasted for about a week when our floor was renovated and then everyone stopped caring.

We were supposed to lock our laptops away in lockers and male sure we didn’t have any papers or documents left out. We had to wear our passes with our photos at all times when in the office (part of a H&S drive, not sure how wearing a pass will stop me injuring myself).

That all went out the window when the director who brought in those ideas got the push. Utter jobsworth and completely incompetent to boot.

Currently we don’t have any stupid rules I can think of.

Locking away laptops and not leaving documents lying around seems like basic common sense mind

Where I used to work tried to make everyone taking calls to be there 10 minutes before their shift started. They didn't want to pay them extra though.

The idiotic little manager they employed thought they should work for nowt.

I love this one

‘Should be at work at 8:45 at least’

‘Can I leave at 16:45?’

‘No you’re contracted til 5pm’

‘Can I take 15 minutes extra lunch?’

‘No’

‘Can you improve the systems so they load up straight away at 3 minutes to?’

‘No’

‘Sounds like a ‘you’ problem’

Back