Most Played Track of the 21st Century is....

“... of the 21st century...” type phraseology very slightly irritates me in the same way that “in premier league history” used to irritate me. It makes something that is quite impressive sound really big. Like when they say “since records began” when records are only 10 years old or “since the dawn of (something that happened 5 minutes ago)”

The “most played track of the past 19 years” is still a significant record. But “the most ‘meh’ statistic about a recently popular song” ... isn’t

But but it's sold the most units, shifted the most product, therefore it must be great music. If you dislike it, then millions of people must disagree with you, so you must be wrong.

Or at least that's what someone has said on just about every music thread on here for the last twenty years.

Don't think I've ever heard it, or presumably I must have heard it and have never bothered to find out its name or who it's by.

But but it's sold the most units, shifted the most product, therefore it must be great music. If you dislike it, then millions of people must disagree with you, so you must be wrong.

Or at least that's what someone has said on just about every music thread on here for the last twenty years.

Don't think I've ever heard it, or presumably I must have heard it and have never bothered to find out its name or who it's by.
It was done originally by Barry off Eastenders. Snot Patrol shaved off the rough edges and hit paydirt

Back