Most dominant strikers and centre backs in league 1

• Thread starter Deleted member 31333
  • Start date

Really? You just have to look at several other players who stayed who didn't really want to be at the club. Their performances just plummeted. It just doesn't work in terms of self motivation.

His performances could have dropped by a third and still scored twice as many as Grigg. They could have dropped by half and still got us promoted. He was and is that much better than the league

well scouts do ring epople=-because it helps ith undertaanidng the players attitide-salary expectations etc...its an important part of the job that stats cant reveal/...
we do use stats..fans on here whine like fuck when its brought up how impressive the stats of willg rigg are..or flanagan or james...
our owner has acknowledged mistakes with maja..but i dont think they had much choice but to sell him..the lad has fucked off clubs befre-he has form for it and would have fucked us off.

our scouting now looks better than it did under moyes..our head of football operaons vastly more qualfied than the guy who had that role under short..

By token of the fact we actually seem to possibly have done a little, although bit a huge amount as numerous players we brought in weren't good enough. Maguire wasn't scouted, SD knew him from his Oxford days. Only really O'Nien and McLaughlin were any good.
Moyes and the club didn't actually do any scouting at all as he brought in ex players he had managed before.
It's a bit like saying Gooch is a better footballer than Roger Federer

we do use stats..fans on here whine like fuck when its brought up how impressive the stats of willg rigg are..or flanagan or james...

Again you’re speaking with such authority...

I’ve never noticed an interview anyway where the club have admitted using stats. Have you?

His performances could have dropped by a third and still scored twice as many as Grigg. They could have dropped by half and still got us promoted. He was and is that much better than the league
But, at the end of the day that is still speculative. He didn't want to be at Sunderland alongside, in recent years, the likes of Kone, Djilobodji, Ndong, Rodwell, Khazri, Januzai, Borini who all were pressed men or turned their backs on our great club. All those players showed disinterest and a lack of commitment which, when playing, undoubtedly added to the tone and atmosphere of games. They should not be within the City's boundary of Sunderland never mind a place on the team. So, in my view, the club did the right thing in Maja's case.

Again you’re speaking with such authority...

I’ve never noticed an interview anyway where the club have admitted using stats. Have you?
every time someone says "he has a good record at this level" they are using stats...

By token of the fact we actually seem to possibly have done a little, although bit a huge amount as numerous players we brought in weren't good enough. Maguire wasn't scouted, SD knew him from his Oxford days. Only really O'Nien and McLaughlin were any good.
Moyes and the club didn't actually do any scouting at all as he brought in ex players he had managed before.
It's a bit like saying Gooch is a better footballer than Roger Federer
that was my point-Moyes didnt do any scouting-so what weare doing now is better.
Maguire was at oxofrd yes-but then SD didnt sign him-JR did...might have made it easier like-but why would maguire have known he minority shareholder of one of the clubs he played for? JR would have known hof him, soctch connecion.

hard to say that based on half a season..

Last edited:
But, at the end of the day that is still speculative. He didn't want to be at Sunderland alongside, in recent years, the likes of Kone, Djilobodji, Ndong, Rodwell, Khazri, Januzai, Borini who all were pressed men or turned their backs on our great club. All those players showed disinterest and a lack of commitment which, when playing, undoubtedly added to the tone and atmosphere of games. They should not be within the City's boundary of Sunderland never mind a place on the team. So, in my view, the club did the right thing in Maja's case.

That's a big list of people.

Firstly, Ross said that Maja was still training well.

Secondly half that list are shit anyway. Kazhri played two games, Borini zero.

Only Kone on that list could really be said to have performed much worse than his ability.

There's players in our league that proved the opposite last year, Charlton had two

It is speculative though, yes. I don't think he would have dropped at all

That's a big list of people.

Firstly, Ross said that Maja was still training well.

Secondly half that list are shit anyway. Kazhri played two games, Borini zero.

Only Kone on that list could really be said to have performed much worse than his ability.

There's players in our league that proved the opposite last year, Charlton had two

It is speculative though, yes. I don't think he would have dropped at all
its a fact that maja has fucked clubs off before..

Interesting that according the CB’s graph Baldwin is better than Willis.

Yes, but it's just two variables. By all accounts Willis's main attribute is pace. And upper body strength. Two qualities not captured by the axis.

It does show we still probably lack a more aerially dominant centre half. And it shows what I believe with my eyes too, that before Baldwin dropped off at the very end, he was better than Flanagan, who doesn't even make the conversation.

Eaves 64 goals in 216 appearances
Hank man, that stat means fuck all ;) Appearances may not mean a full 90 minutes for starters but you're looking at his younger years while in weaker teams. Where did you get 64 goals in 216 appearances from anyway? He's got 58 goals in 216 LEAGUE appearances and 6 goals in 26 CUP appearances according to Soccerway/Soccerbase so it's worse as it's 64 goals in 242 appearances. Did you just look at Wiki and just look at the wrong numbers in the total at the bottom?

England - T. Eaves - Profile with news, career statistics and history - Soccerway

You may think that's nee good but just focus on the last 2 seasons and you'll see why he'd been mentioned. Quickly working out the numbers (mins played/goals and mins played/appearances), he's scored 21 goals and a goal every 160 minutes last season at Gillingham with an average 78 mins per appearance so that's a goal every 2 appearances. He scored 17 the season before with 173 mins a goal with a lower average 72 minutes per appearance.

At 24 he played 40 games in a shit Yeovil team in 2016/17 that finished 20th in League 2. The other club he played a few games for when aged 21 was Shrewbury Town in 2013/2014 in League One and they finished 23rd so this fucked his stats up.

Gillingham may have finished 13th last season but they had the 9th highest goals scored tally. It's their shite defence that let them down as only 4 more teams let more goals in than them! We beat them 4-1 away early in the season and then 4-2 away and Eaves scored in both games. He also got a goal both home and away against Luton. He only played away at Portsmouth and scored 1 in their 2-0 win. He only played half a game against Charlton and got none against Barnsley in both games. So not bad given he got 5 goals in 7 and a half games against the top 5 clubs last season while in a mid table team with a shit defence behind him.

He's now 27 and clearly peaking and would walk straight into our team so to simply say 64 goals in 216 (242 actually) appearances is being blinkered by the most basic of stats ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Statistically... Won't be everyone's cup of tea but...

Took this from BA analytics on twitter. It's basically the top 30 goal scorers in the league taking away goals from the penalty spot.

Obviously Maja the best performer in the league by a mile but Eaves also looked pretty decent statistically along with McConville at Accrington & Clarke-Harris at Bristol (who id be in for). Josh Maja 5 behind Eaves despite playing 1800 minutes less. Could have finished miles ahead of anyone else. Ruben Lameiras also putting up good numbers from midfield.

Logon or register to see this image

The higher the non penalty XG figure the easier the chances presented. The higher the XG performance the better the finisher.

Logon or register to see this image

I've also included this one below that is the 50 most dominant centre backs in the league statistically. No Tom Flanagan however Jack Baldwin & Jimmy Dunne feature, neither are particularly dominant in the air though (Baldwin being most dominant)

McConnviles conversion rate is shocking.. But I agree with eaves.

Godden for Peterborough seems to have canny stats.

how do you know how much he was asking for? and he isnt available on a free-he plays for hull-i doubt they willrelease him so soon.
he wanted 2k oiff gillingham but would surely have asked for more off any team that could get him on a bosman.

i like maddison..but is there an attitude problem-he has been at tgis level for ages and no one has taken a punt on him,..peterborough are a selling club..
I know as I've a good friend who is a Gill season ticket holder who is also Gillingham supporter association member. I've made mention of this on several occasions on here. He is ITK down there.
He old me about the negotiations going on down there. Throughout the season I've been down myself and seen them play. No reason to make it up.

Back