Most dominant strikers and centre backs in league 1

• Thread starter Deleted member 31333
  • Start date

If he had stayed the full year he would have won EFL young player of the year imo. Would have been worth a lot of money too. James Justin was up for the award this year (Luton full back) and he off for 7.5 mill despite never playing higher than league 1. Crazy.

I actually disagree.

Not a hope he could have kept his hitrate going, it was phenominal. I think he’d have became more ineffective and he done general jack shit in open play bar finishing. He’d have petered out to be as ineffective as our other two imo.

I actually disagree.

Not a hope he could have kept his hitrate going, it was phenominal. I think he’d have became more ineffective and he done general jack shit in open play bar finishing. He’d have petered out to be as ineffective as our other two imo.

Based on what? The lad was excellent up until he left.

His all round touch and play was actually good aswell, he was comfortably the best player in the division. Also made goals for himself like against Peterborough and Barnsley.

Based on what? The lad was excellent up until he left.

His all round touch and play was actually good aswell, he was comfortably the best player in the division. Also made goals for himself like against Peterborough and Barnsley.

His forte was first time snapshots, coached by Defoe imo.
Practically every hit he had went in. He wouldnt have continued the acuracy imo. We’ll never know.
His reputation may be higher as he left when he did rather than finish 5th top scorer say.

If that Maja conversion rate is correct it’s put him at the best in the world not just the best in the league.
The rate he was scoring at would have dropped off. There were some games where we were getting only getting 1 shot and he was scoring it. It was phenomenal, but people are forgetting how we actually played nearer the start of the season. We were never running away with the league with the best striker we were still drawing or grinding out 1-0s. He’s gone, personally I don’t think he’s drive to make it as far as his ability should probably take him. He’s technically very good and is always chilled out regardless of the situation but that’s what’s will hold him back. He’s too relaxed. (I’ve never met the lad so could be total bollocks!!!)

Practically every hit he had went in. He wouldnt have continued the acuracy imo. We’ll never know.
His reputation may be higher as he left when he did rather than finish 5th top scorer say.
I’d be interested to see if he maintained his efficiency in the French league. A higher level but I’d expect a good proportion of his first time finishing ability to translate. I’d be interested to see if his xG was already tailing off when at our place too. From memory it appeared to be - though I admit that’s a hazy impression.

I’d be interested to see if he maintained his efficiency in the French league. A higher level but I’d expect a good proportion of his first time finishing ability to translate. I’d be interested to see if his xG was already tailing off when at our place too. From memory it appeared to be - though I admit that’s a hazy impression.

He was infuriating at times like, granted you’d take a goal every other game but some games their centre halfs didnt have to break sweat.

I'd sign Eaves on a free, but only to replace Wyke. Haven't been impressed by Marquis at all when we've played him.

It was his composure & touch that made him stand out. Not sure why he'd have all of a sudden lost that

He didn’t want to stay. He was offered 10K a week with 250K signing on fee- that’s what he asked for and didn’t even consider the deal. He wanted to move. The club were powerless.

He could of seen the season out and still left.

Eaves would improve us and would be a great signing. Unfortunately he is being linked with championship clubs, I doubt he will be in league one next season.

Surely we made his decision by not forcing him to see out his contract.
If he had stayed and its a big IF he had scored goals it would of been worth more than the 1.5m that's been mentioned we got for him.

But he gone so let him get on with it

For crying out loud how many bloody times have we got to go though this again.

He was asked by the club what he wanted, that request was granted and he was offered what he asked for. It was then HIS decision to leave, not the clubs.

Eaves would improve us and would be a great signing. Unfortunately he is being linked with championship clubs, I doubt he will be in league one next season.

Aye I believe he's currently training with Charlton...

Last edited:
For crying out loud how many bloody times have we got to go though this again.

He was asked by the club what he wanted, that request was granted and he was offered what he asked for. It was then HIS decision to leave, not the clubs.

Aye I believe he's currently training with Charlton...

Your right it was HIS decision to leave but they could of made him see his contract out. They didn't and we suffered for it.

People keep bringing up Maja but Gooch was also phenomenal at the beginning of the season and his season petred out as soon as he signed his contract. Maja could just of easily have gone the same way if here for a full season.

Your right it was HIS decision to leave but they could of made him see his contract out. They didn't and we suffered for it.

Oh yeah and what would that have achieved?

1 A very unhappy player who wanted to leave the club. Therefore no guarantee he would have maintained his standards of play.

2.Allowing his contract to wind down would have left him with little or no value.

Irrelevant to us as he'd have been worth a few hundred grand probably. If he'd wanted to stay, even till the end of the season he would have. People keep making it sound like the club forced him out, but they couldn't force him into signing a new contract so that doesn't ring true.

This.

They agreed to his demands and he still left...there’s one poster who keeps saying we should’ve given him what he wanted. :lol:

I'd put money on us not having looked at stats at all tbh. That's why we're constantly mugged off in the transfer market. Stats shouldn't be the be all and end all when looking for players mind but it should point us in the right direction. Stats then scout then decide.

I think a big problem for us in the transfer market has been going after a certain player instead of a type of player. We should have a list of types of players needed and 10 names on that list...if one seems to be a hassle go to the next name. I’m not saying this actually happens, it just seems that way to me...we seem like we lack alternatives.

Last edited:
Oh yeah and what would that have achieved?

1 A very unhappy player who wanted to leave the club. Therefore no guarantee he would have maintained his standards of play.

2.Allowing his contract to wind down would have left him with little or no value.

Why speak which such certainty about something that you couldn't possibly know?

The absolute opposite of what you said is just as realistic, even SD thinks he may have been able to do better at keeping him, he certainly underestimated the cost of unsuccessfully replacing.

This is a massive advocate for proper analysis, while SD may find any statistics boring, had he employed someone to use these findings, it may have alerted SD earlier to Maja's importance and prompted him to provide what was requested earlier in negotiation. It's of huge importance to question our own perception.

Back