Most dominant strikers and centre backs in league 1

• Thread starter Deleted member 31333
  • Start date
I'd put money on us not having looked at stats at all tbh. That's why we're constantly mugged off in the transfer market. Stats shouldn't be the be all and end all when looking for players mind but it should point us in the right direction. Stats then scout then decide.

A talented team of scouts is the key, always has been always will be.
Who would be remotely interested in Grigg based purely on his SAFC stats.
Yet if he moved to another club in the summer he could easily be League one leading scorer again.

I'm sorry but the chairman quite publicly called him out and issued a stupid ultimatum. He may have stayed all season without that

Oh give over. Maja and his agent hadn't spoke to them for getting on for two weeks after getting the contract they, no one else, they had asked for. Probably because they didn't expect us to match it, or maybe they were just stringing us along and buying time.

The chairman issued the public ultimate to flush them out one way or the other and to let us know what was going on.

One things for certain, at that point they had no intention of signing it and anyone who still thinks Maja did is am absolute idiot or just wants to criticise those running the club.

Getting back to the point you quoted, it was about his potential value had he stayed the season to us and given he wasn't going to sign a new deal his value was limited to what a tribunal would give us.

Last edited:
Oh give over. Maja and his agent hadn't spoke to them for getting on for two weeks after getting the contract they, no one else, they had asked for. Probably because they didn't expect us to match it, or maybe they were just stringing us along and buying time.

The chairman issued the public ultimate to flush them out one way or the other and to let us know what was going on.

One things for certain, at that point they had no intention of signing it and anyone who still thinks Maja did is am absolute idiot or just wants to criticise those running the club.

Getting back to the point you quoted, it was about his potential value had he stayed the season to us and given he wasn't going to sign a new deal his value was limited to what a tribunal would give us.

I at no point suggested he was going to sign a contract. I do not believe he was ever going to sign a contract. I still think we should have kept him. I believe he would have kept trying to score goals all year

I at no point suggested he was going to sign a contract. I do not believe he was ever going to sign a contract. I still think we should have kept him. I believe he would have kept trying to score goals all year

So what you replied was pretty irrelevant to the point being made in my quote.

That's a different argument, which no one can really answer and we can only guess. He may have tried and played on well, he may have held back, he may have tried but subconciously held back, he may have suffered at the side suffered as a whole - who knows.

Factually all we know is that he moved and only played 7 more games, scoring one goal and then got injured in April.

That's a different argument, which no one can really answer and we can only guess. He may have tried and played on well, he may have held back, he may have tried but subconciously held back, he may have suffered at the side suffered as a whole - who knows.

Factually all we know is that he moved and only played 7 more games, scoring one goal and then got injured in April.

No, you said 'If he'd wanted to stay even till the end of the season he would have'

According to Donald aye so pinch of salt needed. He said all this stuff about Keith Downie that Keith said wasn't true too like how they'd put highlight packages up of him etc. Think he lost control of the situation.

One thing that is for sure is that the public deadline set during the transfer window is bizzare.

This is what I think. Plus we wouldn't have wasted money on Grigg

A talented team of scouts is the key, always has been always will be.
Who would be remotely interested in Grigg based purely on his SAFC stats.
Yet if he moved to another club in the summer he could easily be League one leading scorer again.

Not just scouts, its based off stats too, Liverpool use a lot of stats, they barely get a signing wrong

its a combination

We seem to just have Tony Cotton ringing around

It hasn;t been address all year like, not sure why

Give over, under scenario should we have sold him like, he scored in his last game

We took a very short termist option

the fact our owner is on podcasts saying he should have done more to keep him, and that he didn't realise how hard he would be replace says it all

Not sure why we are still going round in circles with the Maja argument, its fairly obvious he shouldn't have been sold

Last edited:
Look where Maddison is :eek::lol:

I genuinely thought we were going to make a play for him this summer, especially given the “100 points” talk from the owners. Maybe a last minute “swoop”? I love one of those ;)

Took me ages to spot him, I'm on my phone and when I enlarge the picture he's nowhere near the screen he's that far ahead :lol:

Look where Maddison is :eek::lol:

I genuinely thought we were going to make a play for him this summer, especially given the “100 points” talk from the owners. Maybe a last minute “swoop”? I love one of those ;)

Especially one to "rescue him from his (insert team) hell"!!

Statistically Eaves and Marquis were the lads to watch. That's why I think it's an absolute no brainer why we should sign Eaves on a free when the lads only asking for £2000 a week.
how do you know how much he was asking for? and he isnt available on a free-he plays for hull-i doubt they willrelease him so soon.
he wanted 2k oiff gillingham but would surely have asked for more off any team that could get him on a bosman.

Absolute no-brainer. The difference between automatic and play offs imo.
i like maddison..but is there an attitude problem-he has been at tgis level for ages and no one has taken a punt on him,..peterborough are a selling club..

how do you know how much he was asking for? and he isnt available on a free-he plays for hull-i doubt they willrelease him so soon.
he wanted 2k oiff gillingham but would surely have asked for more off any team that could get him on a bosman.

i like maddison..but is there an attitude problem-he has been at tgis level for ages and no one has taken a punt on him,..peterborough are a selling club..
The Eaves quote you’re replying to was made beginning of June - wasn’t at Hull then.

Not just scouts, its based off stats too, Liverpool use a lot of stats, they barely get a signing wrong

its a combination

We seem to just have Tony Cotton ringing around

It hasn;t been address all year like, not sure why

Give over, under scenario should we have sold him like, he scored in his last game

We took a very short termist option

the fact our owner is on podcasts saying he should have done more to keep him, and that he didn't realise how hard he would be replace says it all

Not sure why we are still going round in circles with the Maja argument, its fairly obvious he shouldn't have been sold
well scouts do ring epople=-because it helps ith undertaanidng the players attitide-salary expectations etc...its an important part of the job that stats cant reveal/...
we do use stats..fans on here whine like fuck when its brought up how impressive the stats of willg rigg are..or flanagan or james...
our owner has acknowledged mistakes with maja..but i dont think they had much choice but to sell him..the lad has fucked off clubs befre-he has form for it and would have fucked us off.

our scouting now looks better than it did under moyes..our head of football operaons vastly more qualfied than the guy who had that role under short..

According to Posh fans down here, apparently he's not the best trainer in the world and is a bit of an arrogant bellend off the field. Gives it the big "I am". But maybe part of that is peterborough isn't exactly a hotbed of football so he can get away with things a bit more, plus they know how much of an assest he is and don't want to rock the boat too much with him. Wouldn't get away with things up there I'd like to think.

Really? You just have to look at several other players who stayed who didn't really want to be at the club. Their performances just plummeted. It just doesn't work in terms of self motivation.

Statistically... Won't be everyone's cup of tea but...

Took this from BA analytics on twitter. It's basically the top 30 goal scorers in the league taking away goals from the penalty spot.

Obviously Maja the best performer in the league by a mile but Eaves also looked pretty decent statistically along with McConville at Accrington & Clarke-Harris at Bristol (who id be in for). Josh Maja 5 behind Eaves despite playing 1800 minutes less. Could have finished miles ahead of anyone else. Ruben Lameiras also putting up good numbers from midfield.

Logon or register to see this image

The higher the non penalty XG figure the easier the chances presented. The higher the XG performance the better the finisher.

Logon or register to see this image

I've also included this one below that is the 50 most dominant centre backs in the league statistically. No Tom Flanagan however Jack Baldwin & Jimmy Dunne feature, neither are particularly dominant in the air though (Baldwin being most dominant)
That centrebacks graph is great. The most dominant in the air ones played for promoted teams: Lindsay (Barnsley), Pearce (Charlton) and Clarke (Portsmouth).

Back