Most disappointing tourist destination you've been to.

Piss fountain Brussels...tucked away where nobody can find it in a shit part of the City, which is also boring.

The people are very poliite though.
I found it and thought it was underwhelming however we found a bar next to it that sold really good strong beer and after a few I was very drunk - drunk more like a hallucinogenic trip than drunk. It was a very strange day which ended with me talking to an armed guard outside some Government building. I was so drunk I was told he looked like he was definitely considering shooting me.

The next day I saw the BBC reporter Katya Adler doing a piece to camera but I decide not to talk to her in case she did shoot me.

Strange holiday.

Whilst there’s places I prefer to others, I struggle to think of places I find disappointing.
Everywhere I go I spend a good time beforehand researching each area, bars, restaurants, culture etc so I’ve a good list of itinerary sorted before I land.
I tend to think a lot of people who don’t enjoy certain places may be the ones who just wander aimlessly and miss all the good places.

I've got a mate lives near Bergamo and he gave me a heads up on some good bars in Milan. He didn't disappoint.

Rome.

My missus was born there and its a dump. Hot, dirty, noisy, crowded and just didn't find it a a nice place. Far too many tourists.

The Coliseum looks nowt like on telly...it was building site.

Worse thing is I probably have to go back sometime soon.

Now, Perugia - that's a different story. :)

Try Rome on the same weekend as the Pope‘s inauguration if you really want to know what busy really looks like.

By chance I hasten to add.

Christiania in Copenhagen is absolutely lifting
Not really a tourist attraction as such though is it? By its very nature it’s a ramshackle and er liberal place, not a polished area to attract visitors. I adore Copenhagen but I’ve got to say the Little Mermaid is slightly underwhelming :)

Not really a tourist attraction as such though is it? By its very nature it’s a ramshackle and er liberal place, not a polished area to attract visitors. I adore Copenhagen but I’ve got to say the Little Mermaid is slightly underwhelming :)

No, but you’d be hard pushed to find a guidebook to Copenhagen that doesn’t include it as a sightseeing destination. Hence loads of baffled Yank pensioners in socks and sandals coughing their guts up on the whiff of high grade. Certainly unpolished :lol:

The mermaid is naff like

I found it and thought it was underwhelming however we found a bar next to it that sold really good strong beer and after a few I was very drunk - drunk more like a hallucinogenic trip than drunk. It was a very strange day which ended with me talking to an armed guard outside some Government building. I was so drunk I was told he looked like he was definitely considering shooting me.

The next day I saw the BBC reporter Katya Adler doing a piece to camera but I decide not to talk to her in case she did shoot me.

Strange holiday.
Mine was stranger...must be something about Brussels.

Mine was stranger...must be something about Brussels.

Strange things always happen in Brussels where standard draught beer is 6-8% and the bottles go as high as you can imagine.

I like it for a weekend - good beer, chocolate, chips and waffles. What more could you want?

Strange things always happen in Brussels where standard draught beer is 6-8% and the bottles go as high as you can imagine.

I like it for a weekend - good beer, chocolate, chips and waffles. What more could you want?
Erm, well...if you're invited to a young ladys home for whatever, you find out she has a daughter, and her husband comes home and treats the situation as normal you really do wan't to get the f**k out of there.

I did tell you t was strange.
Another vote for Milan here, thought it was shite.
Yep, it's shite...just another industrial European city.

The Lake District. More to the point Cumbria. Though I hate to say it.

Once you have been as many times and have seen the same places as I have, you yearn for something else. Something different. Something fresh. Something new. Something more interesting. Something exciting.

Humans were not designed to stay in one place. Theirs always going to be that sense of needing to seek a new adventure. A new scene.

It is beautiful. But you can’t go every year for about 30 years like I have and expect it to be new and different every time.

Last edited:

Once you have been as many times and have seen the same places as I have, you yearn for something else. Something different. Something fresh. Something new. Something more interesting. Something exciting.

Humans were not designed to stay in one place. Theirs always going to be that sense of needing to seek a new adventure. A new scene.

It is beautiful. But you can’t go every year for about 30 years like I have and expect it to be new and different every time.
I'm on the Welsh borders, it's very rutal but beautiful, and I have no compulsion to go on holiday...love the rural life.

Maybe I wouldn't feel the same if younger.

Not everyone feels the same, some barely leave their local region (except for the annual week in magaluf)

That would drive me insane

Stirling castle.
I'm normally quite happy to roam around old castles, but for some reason Stirling castle just didn't work for me. Possibly because at the time it had just been decorated to look like it would have done hundreds of years ago, but something wasn't right about it. Disappointing.

I know I will be in the minority but New York. Just a load of tall buildings and shops. Was relieved to get on the plane down to Florida, but I’m not really a city person, so it wasn’t really that surprising.
With you on that one, don’t rate it at all. Boston, New Orleans, Miami all better city’s if you like that type of holiday.

Back