More ‘Hundred’ fuckwittery

Where’ve you been since the idea was announced?

There’ve been threads full of informed discussion on why it won’t work - cricketing reasons, financial reasons, moral reasons, historic reasons, geographical reasons - absolute pages full of it. There’ve also been tens of links provided to articles by the very best cricketing journalists saying similar.

Have you been on a leave of absence? Or just scrolling the forum with your eyes closed?

It’s all there, most of us are just reluctant to trod again over ground that’s gone from green meadow to swamp owing to the amount of footfall it’s had.

Clearly, so thought I’d re-read it, got to the second post and someone compared it to Brexit :lol:

I tell you what, I’ll just leave it to the sociological & cricketing oracles on here to narrate it’s path to success or failure from now on.

There is a letter from a durham member in the February issue of The Cricketer magazine, who is having to tell his two sons (durham junior members) that they will be unable to go to see The 100 as it is to far to travel.

so there is two committed youngsters who can’t get enough of games at CLS, who will be unable to see any of their heroes live and in person.

well done the FTECB for preserving the future of the game by shutting it down to kids like this.

this will be a story repeated across the country

There is a letter from a durham member in the February issue of The Cricketer magazine, who is having to tell his two sons (durham junior members) that they will be unable to go to see The 100 as it is to far to travel.

so there is two committed youngsters who can’t get enough of games at CLS, who will be unable to see any of their heroes live and in person.

well done the FTECB for preserving the future of the game by shutting it down to kids like this.

this will be a story repeated across the country

I read the letter and it’s sad. But for every kid like that I bet there are 50 who get more exposure to cricket this year cos of the BBC games.

I read the letter and it’s sad. But for every kid like that I bet there are 50 who get more exposure to cricket this year cos of the BBC games.
You still use the same point about the bbc showing it. Of course they are but yet again I’ll give my view as to so what?

the kids cannot go to a game in person, meet their heroes and get the buzz of live sport in attendance

thats my point over the 100 and I’ll never deviate from it. Bringing in a new event, everyone, no matter where they are, should get a chance to see it in their county grounds.

this is the first step of creating a cartel of test hosting grounds getting everything, whilst the mere mortals are fed scraps with the odd t20 or odi, against Ireland, zimbabwe or Sri Lanka.

you cannot spread a game by limiting the places to go and see it live.

You still use the same point about the bbc showing it. Of course they are but yet again I’ll give my view as to so what?

the kids cannot go to a game in person, meet their heroes and get the buzz of live sport in attendance

thats my point over the 100 and I’ll never deviate from it. Bringing in a new event, everyone, no matter where they are, should get a chance to see it in their county grounds.

this is the first step of creating a cartel of test hosting grounds getting everything, whilst the mere mortals are fed scraps with the odd t20 or odi, against Ireland, zimbabwe or Sri Lanka.

You can. F1 is (relatively) big when next to no travels to watch it live. The Olympics were. This Six Nations is. Wimbledon is.

I got into cricket via TV and having a local club. I’d say far more kids get into it that way than via a county, although like you I think Durham not having it isn’t great.

You can. F1 is (relatively) big when next to no travels to watch it live. The Olympics were. This Six Nations is. Wimbledon is.

I got into cricket via TV and having a local club. I’d say far more kids get into it that way than via a county, although like you I think Durham not having it isn’t great.
I disagree totally. On those examples given. This is an attempt to get cricket in six or seven test match grounds, whilst the rest are to be left with 2ndXIs so that will lead to some folding and centralising the game more

will their be any point of durham, somerset, Gloucester, Leicestershire and Derby in the future, if any decent player they produce is whipped away to play for the franchises?

are you looking forward to ever seeing stokes and wood ever playing for durham ever again? It really is the start of the end of county cricket. Maybe dramatic but that’s how I see it

Every vote on the 100 by any outlet has above 90% against it. I see no worth for england with this for test matches or even odis.

if it was to be shared around the county grounds I would accept it. It would be the only chance to see stokes or wood play at CLS outside an England game

for the life of me, I can’t see how a game is to grow by limiting the potential for new people to see the game live in person at a ground.

all this money being spent could easily have been invested in the T20 which has grown every year since its conception

Last edited:
I disagree totally. On those examples given. This is an attempt to get cricket in six or seven test match grounds, whilst the rest are to be left with 2ndXIs so that will lead to some folding and centralising the game more

will their be any point of durham, somerset, Gloucester, Leicestershire and Derby in the future, if any decent player they produce is whipped away to play for the franchises?

are you looking forward to ever seeing stokes and wood ever playing for durham ever again? It really is the start of the end of county cricket. Maybe dramatic but that’s how I see it

Every vote on the 100 by any outlet has above 90% against it. I see no worth for england with this for test matches or even odis.

if it was to be shared around the county grounds I would accept it. It would be the only chance to see stokes or wood play at CLS outside an England game

for the life of me, I can’t see how a game is to grow by limiting the potential for new people to see the game live in person at a ground.

all this money being spent could easily have been invested in the T20 which has grown every year since its conception

I agree that it is very worrying from the counties mate which is terrible. All that history versus some plastic franchises.

But I was disagreeing with the first point about Durham not having games being bad for kids. I think far more kids will get inspired from now on. Time will tell I guess.

I agree that it is very worrying from the counties mate which is terrible. All that history versus some plastic franchises.

But I was disagreeing with the first point about Durham not having games being bad for kids. I think far more kids will get inspired from now on. Time will tell I guess.
Example, a whole school of kids over roker watch the BBC’s coverage of the first 100 match. Loved it, went straight home wanting a bat and ball. Then ask teacher is there any chance we could go to a game and experience the atmosphere , as it’s the FTECB aim for grounds full of new customers and potential to inspire a whole new generation.

er, nearest ground is a 180 mile round trip away on a school night. Sorry stick to watching the telly. You must have experience of how kids get into a new fad but fall away when it is not local to them?

also though the games are on BBC, they will be on when the soaps are on, so can you see mother and father letting them watch it live? If recorded then it will be too late, so it will be the next day. Result will be known by then, kid has no interest and gets back to destroying zombies etc on a computer

this is what will happen with the 100, once the initial novelty wears off and there are no local places to see the game.

good debate

Last edited:

Cricket has always been massive in this area and club cricket was thriving in the 80s for example and people got into cricket via their club side and watching cricket on BBC, I remember watching it as a kid all the time on the telly and then on the night watching my club side, at that time Durham were not even a first class county.

Now of course we would want kids to be able to watch Durham live or cricket at the riverside but it’s not a necessity as kids got intersted in cricket inn this area before Durham.

More of a issue is PlayStations summer football leagues and simply more things for kids to do

Last edited:
Example, a whole school of kids over roker watch the BBC’s coverage of the first 100 match. Loved it, went straight home wanting a bat and ball. Then ask teacher is there any chance we could go to a game and experience the atmosphere , as it’s the FTECB aim for grounds full of new customers and potential to inspire a whole new generation.

er, nearest ground is a 180 mile round trip away on a school night. Sorry stick to watching the telly. You must have experience of how kids get into a new fad but fall away when it is not local to them?

also though the games are on BBC, they will be on when the soaps are on, so can you see mother and father letting them watch it live? If recorded then it will be too late, so it will be the next day. Result will be known by then, kid has no interest and gets back to destroying zombies etc on a computer

this is what will happen with the 100, once the initial novelty wears off and there are no local places to see the game.

good debate
I agree with all of this.

but it’s not too different to now for a lot. You live in Norwich or somewhere.

I guess the counter is that, T20 aside, county attendances are woeful

ps the Hundred is bullshit

Back