More ‘Hundred’ fuckwittery

Well if that’s the case, why even bother replying in the first place?

I welcome healthy debate, so I look forward to you attempting to disprove my arguments on the motive of Guha.
I think you will find that you quoted me.

I’ve been quite clear. I think the hundred is a stupid concept. But equally I think she raises something interesting points (albeit badly worded). Her motives are irrelevant to whether the points are valid, I look at them with an open mind and form my own view. I’d rather actually address the points than get into a slanging match about why she made the points, it’s deflection.

I’m personally bored of all the “oppose the 100” social media stuff. It’s happening. Don’t watch it if you don’t want to. I probably won’t.

I find the comments about her “silence” on twitter strange. No one addresses everything thrown at them on twitter.

I think you will find that you quoted me.

I’ve been quite clear. I think the hundred is a stupid concept. But equally I think she raises something interesting points (albeit badly worded). Her motives are irrelevant to whether the points are valid, I look at them with an open mind and form my own view. I’d rather actually address the points than get into a slanging match about why she made the points, it’s deflection.

I’m personally bored of all the “oppose the 100” social media stuff. It’s happening. Don’t watch it if you don’t want to. I probably won’t.

I find the comments about her “silence” on twitter strange. No one addresses everything thrown at them on twitter.

She’s silent about things she has no defence for, it’s embarassingly obvious.

As for the arguments she makes, it’s nothing more than propaganda. I could pick every single one of them apart quite easily and in fact, which is most worrying, given her position in the media, she’s done fuckall research into what she’s saying. She practically couldn’t be any more wrong. The only bit of propaganda she didn’t mention was the myth about BBC not wanting T20 because it’s too long.

Most people responding have already shown her up though. She’s had a mare.

Last edited:
Isa is clearly an extremely articulate and intelligent lady so I doubt whether that article is her own product.More likely part of her contract with Sky is to lend her name to articles promoting the event.The article itself just endorses why most object to the hundred- it offers nothing that domestic T20 doesn't already provide. It's very doubtful if long-term both tournaments can coexist and ECB are clearly prioritising hundred over both T20 and red ball cricket. T20 is growing in popularity year after year; why then produce a tournament competing against it?
That's the reason why so many object to it- justifiably so.

Last edited:
She’s silent about things she has no defence for, it’s embarassingly obvious.

As for the arguments she makes, it’s nothing more than propaganda. I could pick every single one of them apart quite easily and in fact, which is most worrying, given her position in the media, she’s done fuckall research into what she’s saying. She practically couldn’t be any more wrong. The only bit of propaganda she didn’t mention was the myth about BBC not wanting T20 because it’s too long.

Most people responding have already shown her up though. She’s had a mare.
alex hales on twitter said bbc only wanted a 2 and a half hour slot hence this competition.
Isa is clearly an extremely articulate and intelligent lady so I doubt whether that article is her own product.More likely part of her contract with Sky is to lend her name to articles promoting the event.The article itself just endorses why most object to the hundred- it offers nothing that domestic T20 doesn't already provide. It's very doubtful if long-term both tournaments can coexist and ECB are clearly prioritising hundred over both T20 and red ball cricket. T20 is growing in popularity year after year; why then produce a tournament competing against it?
That's the reason why so many object to it- justifiably so.

We've just won the 50 over world cup, so our legacy is to demote our 50 over game into a 2nd xi competition starting in april :)

Last edited:
I don't see why T20 could not have just been put on free to air telly instead, but also can't see why people are soo desperate for something to fail before they have even watched it!

Exactly. They could have had 2 divisions of 9 playing T20, made the top one like a Premier League and have a promotion/relegation between them.

There could have been a draft for the top 50 overseas players to supplement the counties in the Premier and then left the rest of the summer alone.

Instead they reinvent the wheel and square it off a bit

Exactly. They could have had 2 divisions of 9 playing T20, made the top one like a Premier League and have a promotion/relegation between them.

There could have been a draft for the top 50 overseas players to supplement the counties in the Premier and then left the rest of the summer alone.

1. Joe Bannister‏ @barndoorio 5h5 hours ago

1. More

• Copy link to Tweet
  • Embed Tweet
  • Mute @barndoorio
  • Unmute @barndoorio
  • Block @barndoorio
  • Unblock @barndoorio
  • Report Tweet

• Add to other Moment
  • Add to new Moment

1. Replying to [U]@[B]AlexHales1[/B][/U] [U]@[B]durhamchris1983[/B][/U] [U]@[B]burge1987[/B][/U]
  2. Morning Alex. I dont argue with that, any format on fta will generate interest. Why it needed to be 16.4 form, rather than t20 and disrupt 10 counties in particular and use a format no-one else uses...thats the crux of the issue. Shouldve gone big on t20.
  3. 1 reply 0 retweets 1 like
  4. Reply

5. Retweet

Retweeted

6. Like

Liked

7. Direct message
[B]Alex Hales[/B]‏Verified account @[B]AlexHales1[/B] 5h5 hours ago
Follow Follow @AlexHales1 Following Following @AlexHales1 Unfollow Unfollow @AlexHales1 Blocked Blocked @AlexHales1 Unblock Unblock @AlexHales1 Pending Pending follow request from @AlexHales1 Cancel Cancel your follow request to @AlexHales1
More

• Copy link to Tweet
  • Embed Tweet
  • Mute @AlexHales1
  • Unmute @AlexHales1
  • Mute this conversation
  • Unmute this conversation
  • Block @AlexHales1
  • Unblock @AlexHales1
  • Report Tweet

• Add to other Moment
  • Add to new Moment
Replying to @[B]barndoorio[/B] @[B][/B] @[B]burge1987[/B]
Because that’s what the bbc asked for, a 2.5 hour time slot which isn’t long enough for a t20
  1. Joe Bannister†@barndoorio 5h5 hours ago

More

Morning Alex. I dont argue with that, any format on fta will generate interest. Why it needed to be 16.4 form, rather than t20 and disrupt 10 counties in particular and use a format no-one else uses...thats the crux of the issue. Shouldve gone big on t20.

1 reply 0 retweets 1 like

Reply 1

Retweet

Liked 1

Direct message

Alex Halesâ€Verified account @AlexHales1

Following Following @AlexHales1

More

Replying to @barndoorio @burge1987

Because that’s what the bbc asked for, a 2.5 hour time slot which isn’t long enough for a t20

Last edited:
The BBC will need more than a 2.5 hour time slot for the two men's T20s they have been given the rights to show. I'll bet the viewing audience for those will be much bigger than the Hundred.

If anyone' wants a balanced view on it (which probably rules out half of this board!) The Analysi podcast does decent summary of it this week.

I wouldn’t have thought so.

Hughes has been whoring himself with regards to getting a gig on it for that long, I doubt he’ll be too harsh on it.
Agreed. But what the BBC apparently did insist on was the franchise element.

Where’s the evidence of that?

Yep agree 100%
The first part of the sentence is the key point. It's just utterly bizarre that a new format has been created to show on free to air when there's already a format which is massively popular throughout the world and is increasing in popularity in this country which could have been shown.

As for the second part of the sentence, it comes down to two things IMO. The first is that people are worried about the impact that this is going to have long term on the counties they have supported for years. To me, it does look like the first step in trying to massively change the county setup and "relegate" a number of the smaller counties. You're not a massive Durham/Leicester/Glous fine which is fair enough but imagine if something similar looked to be happening in football and to SAFC. You can surely see why people are very sceptical of it. And it's not just supporters, look at the impacts it could have on our domestic players: Blast stars left frustrated by Hundred draft as smaller counties struggle for attention

I think that the second thing is that the way the ECB have gone about it. From day one, there has been massive resistance to it from the cricket following public yet they haven't shown any inclination to listen to them or taking feedback on board. They even seem to be doing anything they can to show that this is a success (ECB deny downplaying Blast amid fears for Hundred's ticket sales) and the way that likes of Eion Morgan have clearly been told to show their support for this has been pretty poor.

There is a massive difference between been sceptical because your support a county which of course is understandable and clearly coming out and wanting something to fail that could increase participation of the game of cricket.

A massive difference!

Imo too many people are bothered about the ECB and their obsession with wanting them to fall flat of their face rather than the bigger picture of more people taking up the game!

Personally I find some of the comments childish, especially the ones passionately wanting it to fail.
Well if that’s the case, why even bother replying in the first place?

I welcome healthy debate, so I look forward to you attempting to disprove my arguments on the motive of Guha.

How can you prove or disapprove her motives, it’s just your opinion, and even if Guha herself disproved your view you would not believe her anyway!

Last edited:
I wouldn’t have thought so.

Hughes has been whoring himself with regards to getting a gig on it for that long, I doubt he’ll be too harsh on it.

Where’s the evidence of that?

Simon Hughes. Knows far more about the media stuff than anyone on here. He's actually criticized the 100 ball element (and reckons he might have actually suggested the initial idea to the ECB and now regrets it) plenty so can't be accused of being biased.

It seems anyone who doesn't just slag it off is accused of being biased on here though!

Simon Hughes. Knows far more about the media stuff than anyone on here. He's actually criticized the 100 ball element (and reckons he might have actually suggested the initial idea to the ECB and now regrets it) plenty so can't be accused of being biased.

It seems anyone who doesn't just slag it off is accused of being biased on here though!
I wonder if we can criticise the players for signing up for it?

I doubt Simon Hughes has a significantly larger in-depth knowledge of cricket than contributors to this forum. He has played at a much higher level and has access to far more people involved in the running of the sport.

Plenty on here, however, have played at a decent club level and followed the game in all its forms for decades. While we may not have the breadth of reference points, I would say this forum is often as well informed and knowledgeable as any other media.

Back