More ‘Hundred’ fuckwittery

So why do they need another format?
Well they don't.

Obviously the motivation while trying to avoid accusations of bad faith is 'free to air' to spread to game (to people who don't like cricket). But I've got a nasty feeling it's not going to work. I think the viewing audience is far too fractured these days. It won't get the audience of "Pot Black".

(Very willing to be proved wrong and I don't know which way I want it to turn out because it looks like the ECB is willing to sacrifice the rest of English Cricket in trying to make it a success.)

Well they don't.

Obviously the motivation while trying to avoid accusations of bad faith is 'free to air' to spread to game (to people who don't like cricket). But I've got a nasty feeling it's not going to work. I think the viewing audience is far too fractured these days. It won't get the audience of "Pot Black".

(Very willing to be proved wrong and I don't know which way I want it to turn out because it looks like the ECB is willing to sacrifice the rest of English Cricket in trying to make it a success.)

Wimbledon gets 9 million viewers and it's dogshit. Stick it on and people will watch.

Of course there's been much more excitement in the sport before now. The 1982 Boxing Day test when Border and Thomson needed a last wicket partnership of 74 to win the Ashes, got 37 of them by the close of play, added another 34 the next morning, then Botham somehow conjures up a wicket from an average ball that was nearly dropped twice.

Test Match Special, with its howling interference in the early hours of the morning, gave me more excitement in my bad thar night than I've had there in the past 20 years.

I doubt Jos Buttler in a Butterkist shirt will match that.

So why do they need another format?

Yeah like I said that’s why I am not sure about ‘the hundred’ my opinion is as long as there is one shorter format think that is sufficient as danger of overkill.

Guess it comes round full circle again to the free to air debate and whether the current format would have been broadcasted.
Of course there's been much more excitement in the sport before now. The 1982 Boxing Day test when Border and Thomson needed a last wicket partnership of 74 to win the Ashes, got 37 of them by the close of play, added another 34 the next morning, then Botham somehow conjures up a wicket from an average ball that was nearly dropped twice.

Test Match Special, with its howling interference in the early hours of the morning, gave me more excitement in my bad thar night than I've had there in the past 20 years.

I doubt Jos Buttler in a Butterkist shirt will match that.

Players back then were not capable of playing the array of shots Buttler plays now, due to the game evolving through different formats.

And the shots Stokes played to win the unforgettable test this summer were also down to the game evolving and the practice he had done in the shorter form of the game!
Everyone except TVOFP.

It’s not that I hate or like it.

But would actually like to see at least one game before making my mind up!
It has. Everybody hates it.

Not sure how everybody can hate something they have not even seen yet?

Last edited:
Wimbledon is class and the format has been untampered with. The Hundred isn’t cricket as we know it and only complicates the game by having a 4th format with different rules.

The Hundred is a bastardisation to you and me mate but not to a kid, that's who it's aiming at. I'm not expecting to watch much but I think it'll do well.

I'll beg to differ with you on Wimbledon 😉

Last edited:
Everyone to their own, but think Wimbledon is upper class bullshit, all this we more special than any other tourament and you must do this at our tournament and that at our tournament.

Tbf like Lords is pretty similar to that extend as well.

And so is The Open Golf and I am a massive golf fan.

At times it's no wonder our country is not liked abroad sometimes, with this elitist our tournaments are the best nonsense.

Last edited:
So The Hundred draft will be on Sky Main Event and Sky One from 7pm on Sunday?

I thought the selling point was for it to be on Terrestrial TV?

Meanwhile BBC 2 from 7pm has 4 hours of Darts.

Full-list of Durham entrants to the draft: Mark Wood, Cameron Bancroft, Jack Campbell, Brydon Carse, Graham Clark, Ned Eckersley, Gareth Harte, Alex Lees, Matthew Potts, Stuart Poynter, Ben Raine, Nathan Rimmington, Chris Rushworth, Cameron Steel, Scott Steel, Liam Trevaskis, James Weighell, Ben Whitehead.

looks like most, if not all, the senior players

Last edited:
So The Hundred draft will be on Sky Main Event and Sky One from 7pm on Sunday?

I thought the selling point was for it to be on Terrestrial TV?

Meanwhile BBC 2 from 7pm has 4 hours of Darts.
NB a typical T20 takes 3 hrs, or so the interwebs says, and The Hundred was designed to be shorter because of the BBC who aren't averse to giving darts 4 hours.

Full-list of Durham entrants to the draft: Mark Wood, Cameron Bancroft, Jack Campbell, Brydon Carse, Graham Clark, Ned Eckersley, Gareth Harte, Alex Lees, Matthew Potts, Stuart Poynter, Ben Raine, Nathan Rimmington, Chris Rushworth, Cameron Steel, Scott Steel, Liam Trevaskis, James Weighell, Ben Whitehead.

looks like most, if not all, the senior players
Who would turn down at least £30k for it if drafted?

I haven't paid much attention to this nonsense but hope the scenario doesn't appear where we are playing and a couple of our lads are warming the bench elsewhere for their franchise.

NB a typical T20 takes 3 hrs, or so the interwebs says, and The Hundred was designed to be shorter because of the BBC who aren't averse to giving darts 4 hours.

Tbf to the bbc it’s the only darts tournament their cover, as sky have all the other tournaments ,in fact this weekend for the champions league of Darts, is the only 2 days their show Darts all year!

Last edited:

Back