More ‘Hundred’ fuckwittery

Cricket does need to connect with working class communities more to get more youngsters playing the game rather than them sitting on their arses playing on playstations etc.

Not sure how anyone could disagree with that in anyway.
In fact the more you read the article the more what he says makes sense.

If he is telling the truth or just giving a positive spin to gain more positive publicity I have no idea but surely it’s had to disagree with the actual words said in the article
They've gone about it the wrong way in Durham trying to connect the working class.

Ffs-I've just discovered Graves received a CBE at the palace same time as Stokes for "services to cricket"-he's f***ing bankrupted it!
Time for the truth Vofp - was it you who nominated him?

Ffs-I've just discovered Graves received a CBE at the palace same time as Stokes for "services to cricket"-he's f***ing bankrupted it!
Time for the truth Vofp - was it you who nominated him?

its only you and others who want to talk about him mate, I could not give two shits about the bloke either way!:D

Last edited:
its only you and others who want to talk about him mate, I could not give two shits about the bloke either way!:D

Are you not a cricket fan then? Because I would imagine virtually every cricket fan in the country gives two shits about him. Many fear the damage he is doing to the game that we grew up with. Turning cricket into a cash cow is the one thing on his mind and unless TV broadcasters pay billions for the rights and Arab syndicates start owning county cricket clubs it's not going to happen.

Of course none of us know whether these are his intentions but the spin given to the parliamentary committee was something even Arthur Daley would be proud of. I prey his successor cares more about the game.

You post aheck a lot of posts about him when"you could not give two shots about the bloke either way".

I don’t in the slightest, it’s other people who keep turning the conversation back to him, in all the posts I have posted in this thread would be surprised if I have mentioned him more than couple of times.

I don’t care about him in the slightest what I care about is more people taking up the game at club level and want whoever is in charge to try and do something to encourage that.

‘. The hundred may or may not do that, and I hope it does, that all I am bothered about could not care less about individuals
Are you not a cricket fan then? Because I would imagine virtually every cricket fan in the country gives two shits about him. Many fear the damage he is doing to the game that we grew up with. Turning cricket into a cash cow is the one thing on his mind and unless TV broadcasters pay billions for the rights and Arab syndicates start owning county cricket clubs it's not going to happen.

Of course none of us know whether these are his intentions but the spin given to the parliamentary committee was something even Arthur Daley would be proud of. I prey his successor cares more about the game.

I have no idea what’s in his mind mate, could not care less about him ,although I hope the hundred is a success and gets more people playing and getting involved in cricket at ground and club level, that’s what’s important to me more important than any particular county tbh.

Last edited:
I don’t in the slightest, it’s other people who keep turning the conversation back to him, in all the posts I have posted in this thread would be surprised if I have mentioned him more than couple of times.

I don’t care about him in the slightest what I care about is more people taking up the game at club level and want whoever is in charge to try and do something to encourage that.

‘. The hundred may or may not do that, and I hope it does, that all I am bothered about could not care less about individuals

I have no idea what’s in his mind mate, could not care less about him ,although I hope the hundred is a success and gets more people playing and getting involved in cricket at ground and club level, that’s what’s important to me more important than any particular county tbh.
Exactly, that's where the confusion lies.
I can't get my head around how exactly spending millions of pounds on promoting a venture which is taking place a minimum of 70miles away from"those working class communities"is going to get those people reconnected with cricket. I'm remind you, as you do appear from selective amnesia, young kids no longer watch fta tv.
Surely you can see the contradiction about claiming not to care less about Graves when he's the main promoter of the hundred when it's not being within reach of a large number of kids

I agree we need to encourage the youngsters to play the game but the worry is the only games they'll be able to play professionally when they're old enough is T20 and the Hundred. First Class and 50 over cricket might be a mere side show by then. If this happens it will be Graves and his lickspittle Harrison who will have started the process of damaging the game.

I agree we need to encourage the youngsters to play the game but the worry is the only games they'll be able to play professionally when they're old enough is T20 and the Hundred. First Class and 50 over cricket might be a mere side show by then. If this happens it will be Graves and his lickspittle Harrison who will have started the process of damaging the game.

Its a question of balance mate, to get people involved and interested in the first place then hopefully more on to first class cricket.

You need to get people and youngsters interested in the first place and youngsters are not imo going to be interested initially in first class cricket when people are talking about a batsman and his good leaves and knowing where you off stump is, isn’t simply not going to happen imo,

Something needs to be done to get people interested in the first place.
I can't get my head around how exactly spending millions of pounds on promoting a venture which is taking place a minimum of 70miles away from"those working class communities"is going to get those people reconnected with cricket. I'm remind you, as you do appear from selective amnesia, young kids no longer watch fta tv.
Surely you can see the contradiction about claiming not to care less about Graves when he's the main promoter of the hundred when it's not being within reach of a large number of kids

Well yeah the more people included and involved the better so agree.

Although at the risk of repeating myself I got interested in cricket watching a thriving local club side the fact there was not first class side near me did not make a scrap of difference

Last edited:
Its a question of balance mate, to get people involved and interested in the first place then hopefully more on to first class cricket.

You need to get people and youngsters interested in the first place and youngsters are not imo going to be interested initially in first class cricket when people are talking about a batsman and his good leaves and knowing where you off stump is, isn’t simply not going to happen imo,

Nobody is arguing against that but what you persistently ignore is how exactly is the hundred going to achieve that?
In a separate article in the Cricketer , Moxon reveals that a recent pointless question revealed only 2% of those surveyed knew Joe Root was England cricket captain.
Now I'd hazard that a much bigger % of kids in Durham would know exactly who Ben Stokes is. He, with Colly and Wood, mixing with kids after a domestic T20 will do far more to promote cricket than an unknown tournament,involving unknowns,played 70 mile away.

Well yeah the more people included and involved the better so agree.

Although at the risk of repeating myself I got interested in cricket watching a thriving local club side the fact there was not first class side near me did not make a scrap of difference
Really? You're claiming that local world famous cricketers developed at a local 1st club won't enhance the numbers watching cricket. Youngsters habits have changed drastically since your youth making your argument totally redundant.

Last edited:
Nobody is arguing against that but what you persistently ignore is how exactly is the hundred going to achieve that?
In a separate article in the Cricketer , Moxon reveals that a recent pointless question revealed only 2% of those surveyed knew Joe Root was England cricket captain.
Now I'd hazard that a much bigger % of kids in Durham would know exactly who Ben Stokes is. He, with Colly and Wood, mixing with kids after a domestic T20 will do far more to promote cricket than an unknown tournament,involving unknowns,played 70 mile away.

Really? You're claiming that local world famous cricketers developed at a local 1st club won't enhance the numbers watching cricket. Youngsters habits have changed drastically since your youth making your argument totally redundant.

I am on about playing cricket not watching it .

Although you constantly finding arguments and ways to criticise what they trying to do to get more people playing the game, I don’t see any suggestions what you think should be done to get more people playing the game now that you correctly say youngsters habits have changed dramatically?

Do you think youngsters want to watch first class 4 day cricket now that their habits have changed dramatically?

The whole justification is that it's on FTA TV, whether it is or not - if it's not viewed then the justification of The Hundred is bs.

I am on about playing cricket not watching it .

Although you constantly finding arguments and ways to criticise what they trying to do to get more people playing the game, I don’t see any suggestions what you think should be done to get more people playing the game now that you correctly say youngsters habits have changed dramatically?

Do you think youngsters want to watch first class 4 day cricket now that their habits have changed dramatically?
That's your selective amnesia kicking in again.
I've repeatedly extolled the Chance to Shine initiative and argued that further resources should be put into that. That's getting kids directly at source.
Domestic T20 attendances are growing year on year, local test icons freely mixing with the youngsters giving autographs and selfies,that's a proven way of getting youngsters involved. I've put that point repeatedly.
I've never argued that kids would be interested in 4 day cricket. Test Match cricket in England remains popular, however, and you need a vibrant County Championship to sustain it.

That's your selective amnesia kicking in again.
I've repeatedly extolled the Chance to Shine initiative and argued that further resources should be put into that. That's getting kids directly at source.
Domestic T20 attendances are growing year on year, local test icons freely mixing with the youngsters giving autographs and selfies,that's a proven way of getting youngsters involved. I've put that point repeatedly.
I've never argued that kids would be interested in 4 day cricket. Test Match cricket in England remains popular, however, and you need a vibrant County Championship to sustain it.

That’s fair enough mate we clearly want the same thing more youngsters playing the game.

I want more people involved in local club cricket as see more clubs struggling as each year goes by, and simply want something done to see more cricketers signing up and playing for local cricket club, whatever achieves that I am all for.

Reserves of £73million dwindled completely.

The bizarre explanation by the ECB for those huge reserves was in case The Queen died during the cricket season and would cover losses caused by the cancelled games during the period of mourning.

Now the coffers are empty I wonder what the ECBs back up plan is now. Especially if she died during the Hundred being played.

That’s fair enough mate we clearly want the same thing more youngsters playing the game.

I want more people involved in local club cricket as see more clubs struggling as each year goes by, and simply want something done to see more cricketers signing up and playing for local cricket club, whatever achieves that I am all for.
Exactly and the 2 initiatives I've mentioned were achieving that and they've been undermined with millions of pounds spent promoting an initiative that's there's no evidence that there's any demand for it.
The hundred tournament, unreachable by any means to vast swathes of the country certainly won't achieve that.

Last edited:

Back