More ‘Hundred’ fuckwittery

Im not sure how you have got any of that from my post, my point again is that its unlikely they will play much for Durham or the hundred given their international commitments, Stokes and Wood play in all formats and injuries particularly Wood are issues, International cricket comes first and always has in this country ans with the issue of having about 5months of cricket time theres plenty to fit in.
“I wouldn’t blame international cricket for not playing for Durham rather than the 100”

i got it from that line

so no youngsters from Leeds northwards, will have an opportunity to see their heroes live and in person? That’s my point. How is that spreading and growing the game?

stokes will never appear for Durham again. Whilst we are playing, he will be sitting in the stands being interviewed about how great the 100 is.

thats my point, all the 100 is going to do is fill the pockets of the T20 cartel who fly around the world in the various t20 competitions.

how will Dre russ inspire a new audience of British youngsters to take up and go to the games? Him and the likes stroll around the outfield with an air of I couldn’t give a shit.

what they are really hoping for are the India fans to fill the grounds with potential ipl players taking part. All this new audience bollocks is just a cover for that.

I’ll watch it but centralising a sport is the exact opposite of wishing it to grow. Surely you can see that?

“I wouldn’t blame international cricket for not playing for Durham rather than the 100”

i got it from that line

so no youngsters from Leeds northwards, will have an opportunity to see their heroes live and in person? That’s my point. How is that spreading and growing the game?

stokes will never appear for Durham again. Whilst we are playing, he will be sitting in the stands being interviewed about how great the 100 is.

thats my point, all the 100 is going to do is fill the pockets of the T20 cartel who fly around the world in the various t20 competitions.

how will Dre russ inspire a new audience of British youngsters to take up and go to the games? Him and the likes stroll around the outfield with an air of I couldn’t give a shit.

what they are really hoping for are the India fans to fill the grounds with potential ipl players taking part. All this new audience bollocks is just a cover for that.

I’ll watch it but centralising a sport is the exact opposite of wishing it to grow. Surely you can see that?
Disagree and most sport is watched on tv anyway, do I need to see someone in person to think hes a great cricketer? Also you can see them in an england shirt at Durham too and there is still no reason why they wont play some cricket for Durham anyway. If Mark woods fit I would guess he would play a county championship game early season.
Why wouldnt Andre Russell inspire people?? hes an absoloute beast T20 player very professional, athletic and talented he does everything well.
If people are interested the will travel to Leeds as well and there will still be alot of this talent on diaplay in the Blast.

Last edited:
Test players will only be involved for about 3 games but there is still plenty of talent not in that group just look at those who have performed at the BigBash and including some very exciting overseas talent.

The blast is near impossible to change the main issue being you simply cant televise every single game due to the amount of counties we have. For the first time in england you will be able to see every game of your teams fixtures that is a big thing for any child or even supporter, watching scoreboards on the internet isnt ideal for anyone.

I also dont understand people having an issue with Durham not having a team for the hundred, imo Durham will reap the rewards on the turnstile for the blast as a result of the hundred as it will bring in more fans and locals wont have already spent there money going to the hundred games.

The format is the only thing I feel will be abit strange but most thought 20/20 wouldnt last and we can see how thats turned out.
Take the games that aren’t shown on Sky and put them on Amazon Prime. £7 a month for Amazon Prime, everyone can afford that. Job done.

The Blast has everything anyone Could want from a T20 tournament except a board willing to back it and truly unlock its potential.

Last edited:
Disagree and most sport is watched on tv anyway, do I need to see someone in person to think hes a great cricketer? Also you can see them in an england shirt at Durham too and there is still no reason why they wont play some cricket for Durham anyway. If Mark woods fit I would guess he would play a county championship game early season.
Why wouldnt Andre Russell inspire people?? hes an absoloute beast T20 player very professional, athletic and talented he does everything well.
If people are interested the will travel to Leeds as well and there will still be alot of this talent on diaplay in the Blast.
Completely missing the point

they are targeting an audience that has never shown an interest in cricket whatsoever. So again I’ll ask you, in what way is the mantra of spreading the game being realised that huge areas of the country will be deprived to see the players live and in person?

in what way will seeing Dre russ etc help to build a future england cricket team?

in what way will it inspire a future generation to see root and stokes sitting doing nothing whilst the 100 is on?

once the initial season is played and the freebie tickets come to the end, as they can’t sell them, the ecb will want the cricket lovers to come back, as the new audience will move on

Meanwhile at the counties who are deemed surplus, the current fan base will be treated to second XI cricket.

they are targeting an audience that has never shown an interest in cricket whatsoever. So again I’ll ask you, in what way is the mantra of spreading the game being realised that huge areas of the country will be deprived to see the players live and in person?

in what way will seeing Dre russ etc help to build a future england cricket team?

in what way will it inspire a future generation to see root and stokes sitting doing nothing whilst the 100 is on?

once the initial season is played and the freebie tickets come to the end, as they can’t sell them, the ecb will want the cricket lovers to come back, as the new audience will move on

Meanwhile at the counties who are deemed surplus, the current fan base will be treated to second XI cricket.
This! If a family from Manchester don’t care about Lancashire then why are they going to change their mind for Manchester Originals which for the most part is just the same team in a different kit and under a different name.

The terrestrial argument doesn't hold up weight either. It does fuck all for Rugby League, Snooker and Cycling so why will it be any different for Cricket? Cricket should get ahead of the curb and establish itself on streaming platforms.

If there was no other cricket then they would be deprived but there is plenty of it, yes they arent going to see a certain format if they arent willing to travel but if they want to see T20 cricket they will see the exact same or possibly better standard than was avialble last season.

They arent just targeting new fans they are also targeting those who enjoy watching their team and being able to follow a full competition, football has gone 10 fold since all games could be viewed.

So you dont this Russell could inspire people and teach his team mates new things??

Root and Stokes will be playing international cricket inspiring others in their format thats what they have done for the last 5 years and more.

We will see what happens, we arent going to agree on it and like any new venture their will be risks and nothing is guaranteed but something has to change as their are local clubs folding or losing teams left, right and centre and if it continues I fear for the game as a whole in this country.

If there was no other cricket then they would be deprived but there is plenty of it, yes they arent going to see a certain format if they arent willing to travel but if they want to see T20 cricket they will see the exact same or possibly better standard than was avialble last season.

They arent just targeting new fans they are also targeting those who enjoy watching their team and being able to follow a full competition, football has gone 10 fold since all games could be viewed.

So you dont this Russell could inspire people and teach his team mates new things??

Root and Stokes will be playing international cricket inspiring others in their format thats what they have done for the last 5 years and more.

We will see what happens, we arent going to agree on it and like any new venture their will be risks and nothing is guaranteed but something has to change as their are local clubs folding or losing teams left, right and centre and if it continues I fear for the game as a whole in this country.
I’ve had my say.

I’ve had my say on this plenty, I’ll not be swayed

i hope those who are in favour turn, out to be right but I’m sorry, I very much doubt it.

And there is the main point, while you disagree with it, which is absolutely fair enough, you have the good grace and common sense to hope it ends in success.

It happening now we can’t change it for the longevity of cricket in this country it will be better if it is a success and more people take up the game.

This! If a family from Manchester don’t care about Lancashire then why are they going to change their mind for Manchester Originals which for the most part is just the same team in a different kit and under a different name.

The terrestrial argument doesn't hold up weight either. It does fuck all for Rugby League, Snooker and Cycling so why will it be any different for Cricket? Cricket should get ahead of the curb and establish itself on streaming platforms.

Rugby League has barely been on FTA for 20 years and has suffered massively. F1 and golf both suffering now it’s not on there. Cycling is booming so it seems a strange one to bring up.

Compare Big Bash popularity pre and post it coming from behind the Aussie paywall.

Judge the 100 in three years. It being plastic and contrived and them having to dish freebies out to get a crowd in in year one is to be expected.

Show me evidence of this, they will get more as a hosting fee but wont be millions thats for sure. The extra income for counties such Durham, Derby and Leicestershire could really make the clubs on and off the pitch and they wont see attendances dwindle either

Ultimately makes the poorer poor and the rich richer. Worth noting in the cricketer magazine Dobell wrote a piece basically saying the hush money given to the counties was nothing more than a bribe and in time won’t begin to cover the shortfalls of not having meaningful white ball cricket of their own. Take Yorkshire for example, they will get a hosting fee, they will get ticket sales, merchandise, sponsorship deals and then ticket sales for the T20 blast. That will be worth millions more compared to what Durham and Kent for example will receive. Each club gets the 1.3m as well

Below is an extract taken from George Dobell when submitting evidence to parliament about this a few month ago

Meanwhile, the traditional teams – the first-class counties – will be relegated to secondary
competitions. Yes, they will benefit from short-term gain (the £1.3m inducement offered for
their support), but in the medium-term (those payments only last five years), the decision to
bring in eight new team identities threatens to cannibalise the game and could see cricket

disappear from some areas of the country.

The governance of the ECB is probably relevant here. Are we really comfortable with
Yorkshire – a county that disproportionately benefits from the introduction of The Hundred -
owing Colin Graves family trusts circa £20m? Are we comfortable that the decision to strip
Durham of their rights to host Test cricket also benefited Yorkshire disproportionately, as it
reduced competition for such games among the northern grounds? Are we comfortable that
Graves also chairs the ECB’s nominations committee so effectively has a veto on who joins
the board? Are there not reasonable questions here about potential conflicts of interest?

The ‘extra’ money coming into the game is fool’s gold. Look how the ECB’s reserves have
plummeted (from somewhere around £78m a couple of years ago to somewhere around £0
now). Look how the ECB were forced to suspend the introduction of the new central contracts
(for England players) from October to February due to cash-flow issues. The start-up costs of
The Hundred (which have more than trebled since first quoted), the number of new staff (and
consultants) employed to ‘ensure’ its success and inflationary demands from player salaries
will eat up this ‘new money’. And while the ECB will tell you, with some justification, the
counties are benefitting, the total remuneration package for the ECB CEO (salary, pension
and expenses) is now believed to surpass the entire salary bill for several first-class counties.
Disability cricket, for example, is not gaining an extra pound from the new broadcast deal.
Nor is recreational cricket. How can that be termed a success?
There is very little wrong with the game of cricket in England and Wales that could not be
resolved with more of the sport broadcast live on free to air platforms. It was the ECB’s
strategy of selling the game exclusively to a subscription broadcaster that inflicted the
damage. The ECB’s strategy of betting the farm on a new competition no-one wanted could
well compound the issue.
A refreshed T20 competition – and, perhaps, a new FA Cup style knockout T20 competition –
would have been far safer, more appropriate methods by which to grow the game. It may not
be too late to pursue them.

Last edited:

The last paragraph is totally spot on and what I have been saying for ages, local participation at club level is getting less and less and when something is given a try to increase that it’s meet with opposition by a lot of traditional fans, which begs the question are people bothered about the longevity of the game itself, or just their local county team?

The last paragraph is totally spot on and what I have been saying for ages, local participation at club level is getting less and less and when something is given a try to increase that it’s meet with opposition by a lot of traditional fans, which begs the question are people bothered about the longevity of the game itself, or just their local county team?
Local teams mean nothing to the ecb and the whole point of the 100 is to centralise the game in the chosen test match grounds.

I go on about this but imo, that is so obvious it’s unreal. Especially considering the architects of this concept, just so happen to be the beneficiaries of it.

if that what is meant by “spreading the game” then I’m off to buy a new dictionary

following on from my other post, speaking to a couple of groups on twitter, one group tells me "from what i gather no country is actually guaranteed the 1.3m. there was clauses and provisions. in theory the city based side is a separate entity and therefore the ground should just get a share of the takings as host venue. but looks like the counties in reality are far more involved than that"

understood?
another group have replied to me privately

"i believe the host counties recieve the same amount which is 1.3m. They then receive 40% of ticket sales of each hundred game. plus the food and drink"

Last edited:
following on from my other post, speaking to a couple of groups on twitter, one group tells me "from what i gather no country is actually guaranteed the 1.3m. there was clauses and provisions. in theory the city based side is a separate entity and therefore the ground should just get a share of the takings as host venue. but looks like the counties in reality are far more involved than that"

understood?
:lol: Excellent. I mean why would Peter Graves have the 100 being played on his ground.

:lol: Excellent. I mean why would Peter Graves have the 100 being played on his ground.

I think despite what Eddyfinn is trying to pretend further up, these host counties are set to earn a decent wedge of money, leaving the poorer to get poorer. My understanding was all got 1.3m as well which Dobell and 1 out of 2 of the social media groups have indicated to me.

I think despite what Eddyfinn is trying to pretend further up, these host counties are set to earn a decent wedge of money, leaving the poorer to get poorer. My understanding was all got 1.3m as well which Dobell and 1 out of 2 of the social media groups have indicated to me.
It’s obvious to me, that they wish to pool the talent and finances in 6 or 7 test playing grounds.

Rugby League has barely been on FTA for 20 years and has suffered massively. F1 and golf both suffering now it’s not on there. Cycling is booming so it seems a strange one to bring up.

Compare Big Bash popularity pre and post it coming from behind the Aussie paywall.

Judge the 100 in three years. It being plastic and contrived and them having to dish freebies out to get a crowd in in year one is to be expected.
Plenty of Challenge Cup games and Internationals are on BBC. If FTA was a direct contributor to success then League would be a far bigger sport than Union. The cycling comparison probably wasn’t the best analogy to bring up I admit.

Don‘t think the paywall has anything to do with the decline of the BBL, shareholders of the big FTA networks have been telling said networks to get away from the BBL since it came into existence. The root problem is that you’re stretching the audience over 7 home games as opposed to 4. Seems like some of the franchises have been getting greedy too, some seats for Perth Scorchers games were going for $72 this season.

Seems like The Hundred are already giving away freebies. Lot of them to county members oddly enough.

Back