More ‘Hundred’ fuckwittery

Cricket has always been massive in this area and club cricket was thriving in the 80s for example and people got into cricket via their club side and watching cricket on BBC, I remember watching it as a kid all the time on the telly and then on the night watching my club side, at that Durham were not even a first class county.

Now of course we would want kids to be able to watch Durham live or cricket at the riverside but it’s not a necessity as kids got intersted in cricket inn this area before Durham.

More of a issue is PlayStations summer football leagues and simply more things fit
New audience not involved with clubs or already playing is the target. Not those who have iniative to seek out clubs and leagues

they want people who have never had an inkling of interest in the game to fill the chosen grounds.

every vote on this concept has been over 90% against it.

there was nothing wrong with t20, a fraction of the money spent could have reinvigorate it to attract new customers.

basically all the 100 will do is fill the pockets of Dre russ, de villiers etc etc on their round the world money making trips.

zero of England’s world class players will actually play. Could you tell me how that will inspire any youngsters ?

New audience not involved with clubs or already playing is the target. Not those who have iniative to seek out clubs and leagues

they want people who have never had an inkling of interest in the game to fill the chosen grounds.

there was nothing wrong with t20, a fraction of the money spent could have reinvigorate it to attract new customers.

basically all the 100 will do is fill the pockets of Dre russ, de villiers etc etc on their round the world money making trips.

zero of England’s world class players will actually play. Could you tell me how that will inspire any youngsters ?

Yeah I agree and have said soo many times T20 is great to watch imo, and should have been marketed more and no need for the hundred.

My point has always been we need it in on free to air telly again to inspire them youngsters and need to stop football been the be and end all, even the media in the close season it's just football football, we need to get back to what it was when I was a kid football in the winter cricket in the summer not f***ing kids summer football leagues!

However the hundred is now happening whether you I or anyone else wants it, and for the interest to spread for cricket I hope it's a success, however have my doubts as too many traditional fans appear against it.

Last edited:

Far more have the ‘initiative to seek out clubs’ than you’d think. Snowball effect once your mates are.

On the flip side none of us really went to watch Durham with any regularity.

but it’s not too different to now for a lot. You live in Norwich or somewhere.

That’s sort of a moot point. In reality it only backs up Ghfd’s argument.

The real comparison to make here is that we have 18 county teams, yet we have 48 actual counties in England, 22 in Wales. So already the counties are spread very thinly when it comes to truly reaching as big of an audience as possible.

If 18 counties become only 8 franchises however....... it’s going to be the thinnest of thin, how can this possibly ‘grow the game’?

I guess the counter is that, T20 aside, county attendances are woeful

The caveat kills the counter, however.

It also kills any notion that the hundred over T20 is a good idea.

I noticed The Hundred's YouTube channel launched a week ago. Only 4,277 views from 5 videos, one of them being the draft but aye there's so much excitement.

It’s aimed at a demographic who have had basically zero access to cricket and know little about it.

If they’re still seeing small numbers in 3 years it’ll have failed but those statistics you’re quoting prove little at this stage. Or worse, they show just why some sort of change is needed (albeit not changing to the 100).

Test players will only be involved for about 3 games but there is still plenty of talent not in that group just look at those who have performed at the BigBash and including some very exciting overseas talent.

The blast is near impossible to change the main issue being you simply cant televise every single game due to the amount of counties we have. For the first time in england you will be able to see every game of your teams fixtures that is a big thing for any child or even supporter, watching scoreboards on the internet isnt ideal for anyone.

I also dont understand people having an issue with Durham not having a team for the hundred, imo Durham will reap the rewards on the turnstile for the blast as a result of the hundred as it will bring in more fans and locals wont have already spent there money going to the hundred games.

The format is the only thing I feel will be abit strange but most thought 20/20 wouldnt last and we can see how thats turned out.

Test players will only be involved for about 3 games but there is still plenty of talent not in that group just look at those who have performed at the BigBash and including some very exciting overseas talent.

The blast is near impossible to change the main issue being you simply cant televise every single game due to the amount of counties we have. For the first time in england you will be able to see every game of your teams fixtures that is a big thing for any child or even supporter, watching scoreboards on the internet isnt ideal for anyone.

I also dont understand people having an issue with Durham not having a team for the hundred, imo Durham will reap the rewards on the turnstile for the blast as a result of the hundred as it will bring in more fans and locals wont have already spent there money going to the hundred games.

The format is the only thing I feel will be abit strange but most thought 20/20 wouldnt last and we can see how thats turned out.
Thing is Ed, every poll taken on this is over 90% against. I’ve said it plenty, so not again, but minimising the grounds where it’s played imo, is the exact opposite of wanting an audience to grow.

As for the likes of durham getting a bonus via t20 gates that is to be seen but personally I dont think you will ever see stokes or wood playing for Durham at CLS again

what will the ecb do if crowds at the t20 increase at the expense of the 100? Finals day is already sold out for the t20.

Reap the rewards??? We are getting millions of quid less than the competing counties.

Thing is Ed, every poll taken on this is over 90% against. I’ve said it plenty, so not again, but minimising the grounds where it’s played imo, is the exact opposite of wanting an audience to grow.

As for the likes of durham getting a bonus via t20 gates that is to be seen but personally I dont think you will ever see stokes or wood playing for Durham at CLS again

what will the ecb do if crowds at the t20 increase at the expense of the 100? Finals day is already sold out for the t20.

Every poll from existing cricket fans is 90% against, and the ones ardent enough to read The Cricketer etc.

Every poll from existing cricket fans is 90% against, and the ones ardent enough to read The Cricketer etc.
True, those who will be expected to attend once the initial fad dissipates.

its pretty easy to resolve but the ecb won’t let England players participate for their counties. Said that ever since stokes was denied from bowling in a final for durham , also a semi final.

now with his affiliation to Yorkshire 100 team, the chances of him being seen at cls is absolute zero unless england play there.

grow the game by letting kids see their heroes. This is the first step to getting rid of 10 counties.

Reap the rewards??? We are getting millions of quid less than the competing counties.
Show me evidence of this, they will get more as a hosting fee but wont be millions thats for sure. The extra income for counties such Durham, Derby and Leicestershire could really make the clubs on and off the pitch and they wont see attendances dwindle either

The 90% has been taken from county members who sit at county championship games most days are these the people the ECB are targeting, No as they are already catered for. just out of interest did anyone on here take part in the poll
Im sure they will be very pleased if the blast gets increased attendances and will just go to show that the hundred is working to improve interest wven if its just those being stubborn, a sale is a sale at the end of the day

Last edited:
Show me evidence of this, they will get more as a hosting fee but wont be millions thats for sure. The extra income for counties such Durham, Derby and Leicestershire could really make the clubs on and off the pitch and they wont see attendances dwindle either

The 90% has been taken from county members who sit at county championship games most days are these the people the ECB are targeting, No as they are already catered for. just out of interest did anyone on here take part in the poll
I did.

I could accept the 100 if all were in it. Do you not see any danger for the counties not involved, having their better players tapped up?

once they are at these franchises, it will be, well you are here now, why not stay and help in the championship?

why should the likes of durham and somerset fans not have a chance of watching their best players?

I did.

I could accept the 100 if all were in it. Do you not see any danger for the counties not involved, having their better players tapped up?

once they are at these franchises, it will be, well you are here now, why not stay and help in the championship?

why should the likes of durham and somerset fans not have a chance of watching their best players?
Better players are tapped up without this anyone decent in the midlands ends up at notts eventually, Surrey pick and choose who they want and Hampshire get the best kolpaks out there. The extra money players recieve feom the hundred will for me actually see players less interested to move around and loyalty/local roots is still a big thing in cricket despite what we see in football.

Better players are tapped up without this anyone decent in the midlands ends up at notts eventually, Surrey pick and choose who they want and Hampshire get the best kolpaks out there. The extra money players recieve feom the hundred will for me actually see players less interested to move around and loyalty/local roots is still a big thing in cricket despite what we see in football.
We disagree Ed, I hope you are right.

im just sad for NE kids who will never see Stokes playing for Durham at CLS again, but will see him sitting in the commentary box at headingley etc , watching Dre russ slog sixes with miss hits

Last edited:
We disagree Ed, I hope you are right.

im just sad for NE kids who will never see Stokes playing for Durham at CLS again, but will see him sitting in the commentary box at headingley etc , watching Dre russ slog sixes with miss hits
Availability like always will depend on their england duties and the international schedule so dont be so sure as they may not align to the hundred but I would blame international cricket for not playing for Durham rather than the hundred

Availability like always will depend on their england duties and the international schedule so dont be so sure as they may not align to the hundred but I would blame international cricket for not playing for Durham rather than the hundred
Really? So to encourage a new generation you would rather they had no affiliation with their chosen clubs, to take part in a format, played nowhere else in the world, whilst also not actually playing in it but being used as poster boys?

thats inspirational to those people who have never taken the slightest interest in cricket previously, which is the intended target audience for the 100?

Last edited:
Really? So to encourage a new generation you would rather they had no affiliation with their chosen clubs, to take part in a format, played nowhere else in the world, whilst also not actually playing in it but being used as poster boys?

thats inspirational to those people who have never taken the slightest interest in cricket previously, which is the intended target audience for the 100?
Im not sure how you have got any of that from my post, my point again is that its unlikely they will play much for Durham or the hundred given their international commitments, Stokes and Wood play in all formats and injuries particularly Wood are issues, International cricket comes first and always has in this country ans with the issue of having about 5months of cricket time theres plenty to fit in.
Just remember these lads are being paid their ecb contract to play in the hundred any minor niggles and they will be left out

Last edited:

Back