More ‘Hundred’ fuckwittery

Gone are the days of boring cricket and boring draws, you never going to get new people into the game watching a game for 5 days with no result.

Can't quite fathom how anyone who claims to like the game of cricket can say that. No apologies chief, that is an absolutely horrific comment. Some of the greatest Tests of all time have been draws, the concept of battling for a draw is fundamental to every good team sport.

Can't quite fathom how anyone who claims to like the game of cricket can say that. No apologies chief, that is an absolutely horrific comment. Some of the greatest Tests of all time have been draws, the concept of battling for a draw is fundamental to every good team sport.
Manchester 05, Cardiff 09, two Tests in SA in 09 (I think?)... Some of the best matches have been draws.

Absolute f***ing shite to say it's a reason people don't like cricket because of them.

NB a typical T20 takes 3 hrs, or so the interwebs says, and The Hundred was designed to be shorter because of the BBC who aren't averse to giving darts 4 hours.

And the BBC had already signed up when it was still going to be a T20 tournament.

Just another lie from the PR team.
Manchester 05, Cardiff 09, two Tests in SA in 09 (I think?)... Some of the best matches have been draws.

Absolute f***ing shite to say it's a reason people don't like cricket because of them.

Indeed.

And let's not forget, the greatest one day game of all time was a draw.

Twice. :)eek:;))

Last edited:
Of course there's been much more excitement in the sport before now. The 1982 Boxing Day test when Border and Thomson needed a last wicket partnership of 74 to win the Ashes, got 37 of them by the close of play, added another 34 the next morning, then Botham somehow conjures up a wicket from an average ball that was nearly dropped twice.

Test Match Special, with its howling interference in the early hours of the morning, gave me more excitement in my bad thar night than I've had there in the past 20 years.

You missed a trick there mate as sadly I'm old enough to remember that under a special one off arrangement the Beeb incredibly showed the final morning's play live on the telly!

Can remember shouting at the screen as Bob Willis continually allowed Border easy singles to get at Tommo although as you say it came good in the end thanks to the dubious juggling skills of Tavare and Miller.:lol:

Think you have blown my post out of context mate.

Of course some draws can be great and nail biting to watch especially when 9 wickets down.

That’s not what I was saying, I said gone are the days of boring draws!

What I meant by that was you don’t see the games that you may have in the past where teams rack up 500/1 and you know it’s going to be a draw on the first day.

Test match cricket in general now imo because of the influence of one day cricket is more exciting.

And T20 imo while having a influence on the technical ability to bat for long periods, has meant games are better to watch in general imo.

That’s very diffrent from saying draws are boring!

So maybe it wasnt as a horrific comment as you interpreted?

Comments like this are not really about the current cricket lovers anyway as it’s aimed at a new audience and I know it’s goes against the grain of current cricket lovers ( rightly soo) but new people are not going to be attracted to the game watching batsman bat for hours on wickets like a road while people are taking about a good leave and knowing where their off stump is!

That’s not what I said in any shape or form mate.
Like you correctly said they have been brilliant classic tests that have been draws.

Last edited:
There's plenty of dull cricket in all forms of the game. Especially when I was bowling or batting. This competition will not be immune from that and no amount of pink Butterkist shirts can hide it.

I think it’s fantastic mate, that soo many people are now watching the shorter format of the game and are enjoying the brilliant entertainment it is!

T20 hasn’t done soo bad as the viewing figures show, and the shorter format has done rather well considering just a few short years ago it was getting called hit and giggle by some cricket traditionalists.

As for the politics of it all and the ECB, could not care less about the ECB.

The only them I am bothered about is a shorter format of cricket been shown more and more and on free to air telly to increase interest in the game of cricket and that cricket continues to evolve to make sure with all other distractions that kids remain interested in the game of cricket.

Because that without a shadow of doubt imo, is the most important thing!

Class

Sums it up in a sense. Get money, will travel
I think it’s fantastic mate, that soo many people are now watching the shorter format of the game and are enjoying the brilliant entertainment it is!

T20 hasn’t done soo bad as the viewing figures show, and the shorter format has done rather well considering just a few short years ago it was getting called hit and giggle by some cricket traditionalists.

As for the politics of it all and the ECB, could not care less about the ECB.

The only them I am bothered about is a shorter format of cricket been shown more and more and on free to air telly to increase interest in the game of cricket and that cricket continues to evolve to make sure with all other distractions that kids remain interested in the game of cricket.

Because that without a shadow of doubt imo, is the most important thing!

The most important thing for me would have been protecting the great game we currently have and have done for years. The ECB indirectly put themselves in this position by selling the test match rights to Sky in 2006. I think that after the World Cup, cricket in this country is not in a bad place. It caught the attention of attention of many casual fans and the Ashes always does that too.

Blast crowds are excellent, the ECB should perhaps stop scheduling county games to start on a Monday if they want people to attend.

This form of the game isn’t cricket as we know it and no one can explain the rules in certainty without it sounding confusing.

The ECB have gone for money, not the long term future of the game. This game have survived for well over 100 years on its truest forms. It just needed better scheduling and marketing, and more accessibility. It did not need a new format and I believe this will be damaging to our game as we know it

Last edited:
Sums it up in a sense. Get money, will travel

The most important thing for me would have been protecting the great game we currently have and have done for years. The ECB indirectly put themselves in this position by selling the test match rights to Sky in 2006. I think that after the World Cup, cricket in this country is not in a bad place. It caught the attention of attention of many casual fans and the Ashes always does that too.

Blast crowds are excellent, the ECB should perhaps stop scheduling county games to start on a Monday if they want people to attend.

This form of the game isn’t cricket as we know it and no one can explain the rules in certainty without it sounding confusing.

The ECB have gone for money, not the long term future of the game. This game have survived for well over 100 years on its truest forms. It just needed better scheduling and marketing, and more accessibility. It did not need a new format and I believe this will be damaging to our game as we know it

The reason the blast and T20 worldwide has been successful is that to continue to attract and entertain cricket needs to evolve to compete with other distractions.

I find it totally ironic the very same people who said T20 was hit and giggle, pyjama cricket and not proper cricket a few years ago and was not good for the game while I was saying it was good for the game, are now actually singing its praises!

I properly agree there is no need for another format, but what there is a need for is a shorter format of the game on free to air telly to compete with other distractions and get kids watching the game.

And while the current T20 would be the preferable game on free to air telly, I will at least watch a new format that brings that and give it a chance rather than wanting it to fail.

The reason the blast and T20 worldwide has been successful is that to continue to attract and entertain cricket needs to evolve to compete with other distractions.

I find it totally ironic the very same people who said T20 was hit and giggle, pyjama cricket and not proper cricket a few years ago and was not good for the game while I was saying it was good for the game, are now actually singing its praises!

I properly agree there is no need for another format, but what there is a need for is a shorter format of the game on free to air telly to compete with other distractions and get kids watching the game.

And while the current T20 would be the preferable game on free to air telly, I will at least watch a new format that brings that and give it a chance rather than wanting it to fail.

I’m very much a purist when it comes to cricket, I appreciate that not everyone will be.

I believe T20 has a place in the domestic calendar only. I believe free to air cricket of some form is needed, preferably test cricket.

I don’t believe the Hundred is the answer. Time will tell but I think the ECB have looked at this completely from the wrong angle

I’m very much a purist when it comes to cricket, I appreciate that not everyone will be.

I believe T20 has a place in the domestic calendar only. I believe free to air cricket of some form is needed, preferably test cricket.

I don’t believe the Hundred is the answer. Time will tell but I think the ECB have looked at this completely from the wrong angle

Yeah I have no argument with any of that, it’s not that I think ‘the hundred’ is the answer as I don’t.

But I do know we need to continue to make a massive effort to keep youngsters interested in the game, and cricket on free to air telly in any format is a good thing imo.

Thats what the focus should be and why imo people should at least watch some of it before crufcying it.

It’s happening now rightly or wrongly and for the good of the game imo, it’s better it’s a success than a failure.

Yeah I have no argument with any of that, it’s not that I think ‘the hundred’ is the answer as I don’t.

But I do know we need to continue to make a massive effort to keep youngsters interested in the game, and cricket on free to air telly in any format is a good thing imo.

Thats what the focus should be and why imo people should at least watch some of it before crufcying it.

It’s happening now rightly or wrongly and for the good of the game imo, it’s better it’s a success than a failure.

Absolutely agree that exposure is a good thing, I just really hope that exposure leads to other forms of the game and my concern is that it won’t and therefore the potential short term positives will lead to longer term negatives for cricket as a whole in this country.

We can only see how it goes, but I can’t pretend I don’t feel uncomfortable about the direction of cricket in this country. I hope I’m wrong.

Absolutely agree that exposure is a good thing, I just really hope that exposure leads to other forms of the game and my concern is that it won’t and therefore the potential short term positives will lead to longer term negatives for cricket as a whole in this country.

We can only see how it goes, but I can’t pretend I don’t feel uncomfortable about the direction of cricket in this country. I hope I’m wrong.

Well yeah that’s the idea, that kids watch ‘ the hundred’ on the telly and then get hooked play for their local clubs, get more interested in the game and other formats.

Whether that actually happens is anybody’s guess but it’s worth a try.

I for one hope that happens and hope it’s a success for that reason.

Think you have blown my post out of context mate.

Of course some draws can be great and nail biting to watch especially when 9 wickets down.

That’s not what I was saying, I said gone are the days of boring draws!

What I meant by that was you don’t see the games that you may have in the past where teams rack up 500/1 and you know it’s going to be a draw on the first day.

Test match cricket in general now imo because of the influence of one day cricket is more exciting.

That’s not what I said in any shape or form mate.
Like you correctly said they have been brilliant classic tests that have been draws.
I think you need draws and I think you cannot have excitement all the time.

You need contrast. You need light and shade. If you want good you need bad.

How can you admire a great cricket shot unless you've witnessed a terrible one.

How can you talk about greatness in games or players or anything if it's all the same.

If the standard shot is a 6, what is a great shot?

I think you need draws and I think you cannot have excitement all the time.

You need contrast. You need light and shade. If you want good you need bad.

How can you admire a great cricket shot unless you've witnessed a terrible one.

How can you talk about greatness in games or players or anything if it's all the same.

If the standard shot is a 6, what is a great shot?

Of course very good point, nobody is saying otherwise.

My point is simply we need to get new blood into cricket for youngsters with all other distractions and they are more likely to do that if the cricket is exciting which T20 as proven.

T20 imo has been excellent for cricket imo and there just needs to be the correct balance between shorter and longer formats.

And you do need draws but you don’t need games that used to happen in the sub-continent where teams batted for hours on end with no likelihood of a wicket.

The IPL has been a revolution in India and brilliant for the game there and fans love it!

Imo the key to this whole debate is what cricket will get new blood taking up the game?

Last edited:

Back