Mordue Brewery

Just heard they've gone into administration.

Shame because they do some canny beer!
They had it up for sale for a number of months but had no takers apparently, not even some of the bigger brewers which is strange as the beer was decent. They have form for this as they did it years ago in some kind of tax fudging move. Went into adminsitration then a phoenix appeared from the flames with the same management and same premises and same beer

They wont have to worry, they opened a new pub in Newcastle and its rammed every day so they will be cashing in on that

They had it up for sale for a number of months but had no takers apparently, not even some of the bigger brewers which is strange as the beer was decent. They have form for this as they did it years ago in some kind of tax fudging move. Went into adminsitration then a phoenix appeared from the flames with the same management and same premises and same beer

They wont have to worry, they opened a new pub in Newcastle and its rammed every day so they will be cashing in on that
Hopefully the pub is ringfenced from the brewery company?

Shame to see any local brewery going under though.

Yeah seperate entity.

There must be some issues not known if there was no interest at all from other breweries
Surely it’s only the beer names and recipes that are really of any value to bigger brewers? As they’d no doubt move production to their facilities

Surely it’s only the beer names and recipes that are really of any value to bigger brewers? As they’d no doubt move production to their facilities
They buy a lot of small breweries and leave them running in their existing sites. Allows them to maintain the micro brewery concept while having the backing of a large brewer/drinks company.

Fullers/Marstons do a lot of it this way

They buy a lot of small breweries and leave them running in their existing sites. Allows them to maintain the micro brewery concept while having the backing of a large brewer/drinks company.

Surely it would depend on profitability though if this brewery just isn’t selling enough to make it viable
It does seem to me there’s millions of these micro breweries popping up all the time, the markets gotta be pretty fierce to make it

Last edited:

I'm sure they cut costs in things like IT, payroll, corporation tax and they will leverage their buying power to make it more profitable.
Smaller breweries can benefit from the reduced tax on beer too, although I'm not sure how easy that is to work around with parent companies...

Surely it would depend on profitability though if this brewery just isn’t selling enough to make it viable
Exactly, like i said above there must have been issues behind the scenes as to why nobody wanted to touch it.

Someone in the know might have heard @Slow joe the craic properly

I'm sure they cut costs in things like IT, payroll, corporation tax and they will leverage their buying power to make it more profitable.
Smaller breweries can benefit from the reduced tax on beer too, although I'm not sure how easy that is to work around with parent companies...
True its in the interests of the big brewery to swallow up the smaller ones while allowing them to maintain the "microbrewery" status

Last edited:

Larger breweries also have the distribution network and in some cases hundreds of pubs that they can supply to. An independent brewery will struggle to get its beer sold in a tied pub. But once part of the company, they get access to a huge share of the market!

Exactly, like i said above there must have been issues behind the scenes as to why nobody wanted to touch it.

Someone in the know might have heard @Slow joe the craic properly

True its in the interests of the big brewery to swallow up the smaller ones while allowing them to maintain the "microbrewery" status
I do know a bit and have known this was coming for months now. I don't want to get too heavily involved in the thread but the debts are absolutely mindboggling.

Would of thought the pub would if made a thing of selling their beer
Reached peak ale
Sonnet 43 will be the next to pull out of brewing

Back