Morals

Theft Act states it isn’t theft if there is no reasonable means of returning to owner iirc

Depends if you consider a supermarket tracking a cash paying customer down as “reasonable”

Op said , If you noticed some moron had left it

Op said , If you noticed some moron had left it

If I left a fiver in Morrisons’ self checkout could they reasonably find me and return it, is my question.

Someone could notice I’d left it ten minutes after I’ve been and gone

It is morally wrong to take it for your own purposes, but I’m not sure it is legally wrong

If as others said the police chase this then it is of course legally wrong

I happened to notice that an elderly lady had walked off from a cashpoint without taking her money, feeling a little awkward about taking the money out of the slot myself I called her back, as she was just about to retrieve the money the machine sucked it back in.

She rounded on me as if I had stolen it.

Aye, the machines do that (and so do the elderly ladies).

Morally I think it’s wrong aswell ,

Finding a small amount in the street when there’s nobody about is different imo
So if a money tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it...

Morals are arbitrary. Fluid. Depending on time, place and personal opinion.

We were out for a walk over Easter round the estate and as we turned up the way there was a tenner on the ground and an old dear (ner) walking ahead.
My Mrs (ner) beckoned her back and said the tenner was on the ground and gestured it towards her without asking too much. The old dear then got her fairly secure purse out the depths of her fairly secure bag and put the tenner in it.

Fuming. :lol:

Some bloke left his entire wallet, open and splayed out, on top of a self service machine a couple of months back. Had all his cards, license and about £60 in cash. Handed it in like the top gent that I am, he called me the following day to thank me.

Onset of new paper notes have had to buy a wallet. Lost about £25 putting notes in my pocket. Despite nobody giving it me back i
would move heaven and earth to give them it back

Everytime in real life.Lass in chinese gave me £9.50 change of a tenner this week for £11.50 worth of bait

stuff happening online i tend to see how it pans out but thats shops etc

Found wallets etc and handed them in, I'd do the same with cash at a till in the supermarket, although when I was younger I found £20 in one of them cashpoints that spits the money out into a tray and just kept that.

If you were at the self scan in a supermarket and noticed the moron in front of you had left without collecting their cash back, would you hand it in?

Thankfully for me, the little old dear behind me did just that.

id keep it, shouldnt be a tatey and leave it behind....

I once found a wallet with £50 in i took the cash and handed the wallet back in....

They pursue people taking a fiver left in the machine? They wouldn’t pursue a fiver dropped on the floor but then again perhaps there are reasonable means of tracking someone down
Found a fiver on the floor a few days ago. Gambled it away. Akin to your charity donation ;)

I found a fiver in the doorway of my local Greggs, I took it back into the store and handed it over to the cashier (it could have been someones last few quid, I'd never take it). I've found a wallet when I was a kid, handed that into a local cop shop, I'd always do the decent thing because it's the right thing to do ;).

Back