Moral Music question..

Pretty Young Thing has taken on a sinister tone though.

Where does it stop, though ? Lots of songs around from past decades sound a bit dodgy today.

Take this one. It was on the radio when I was in the shower the other day. I had a good ol' croon-a-long till the last couple of verses where I thought hmm...

[...] Tonight's the night
It's gonna be alright
'Cause I love you girl
Ain't nobody gonna stop us now

Don't say a word my virgin child
Just let your inhibitions run wild
The secret is about to unfold
Upstairs before the night's too old

Tonight's the night
It's gonna be alright [...]

Am sure Rod Stewart wouldn't have penned and sung that today. And yet it's a classic.

While I can understand why people prefer not to listen to artists like Michael Jackson, Lostprophets, Gary Glitter, etc., I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with listening to it. I feel like it's fine to separate the artist from the art. Deplorable as their actions were, their music isn't about that and it does nothing for the victims if I stop listening.

By the same token, I can still enjoy the works of Rudyard Kipling, despite the fact that he was a massive racist.

While I can understand why people prefer not to listen to artists like Michael Jackson, Lostprophets, Gary Glitter, etc., I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with listening to it. I feel like it's fine to separate the artist from the art. Deplorable as their actions were, their music isn't about that and it does nothing for the victims if I stop listening.

By the same token, I can still enjoy the works of Rudyard Kipling, despite the fact that he was a massive racist.

In a not dissimilar way I can still enjoy watching AJs goals, particularly against the Mags!

Where does it stop, though ? Lots of songs around from past decades sound a bit dodgy today.

Take this one. It was on the radio when I was in the shower the other day. I had a good ol' croon-a-long till the last couple of verses where I thought hmm...

It's gonna be alright
'Cause I love you girl

Tonight's the night

Am sure Rod Stewart wouldn't have penned and sung that today. And yet it's a classic.

I appreciate what you are saying and how it can be thought of, however the world of 40 years ago is so much different as it is today.
language used is much different and attitudes are as different as they can be to certain subjects such as sex and sexuality. the mad 60's may have a wild tone to it along with mini skirts and ban the bomb.
However a lot of teenagers were in transition from the old to the new.
there is the thought as well as what else would rhyme wild

I also agree that it would never have been penned like that now but so would a lot of things. Thank heavens for little girls, 3 wheels on my wagon and there is a hole in my bucket dear Liza.
all have degrees of thought nowadays, but back then just good old fun

Nee problem with me if you play his stuff.
Jerry Lee Lewis still gets played on the radio and there was f***ing he'll to pay when he married his 14 year old cousin all those years ago .

Interesting question. A criminal record.

Wacko Jacko won't benefit from the royalties but maybe GG does? Jerry Lee Lewis? James Brown? Lost Prophets? Bowie? Kula Shaker?

Moral dilemma.

Music first,

Morals next?
What have Kula Shaker done to make them morally questionable? I’ve just googled it and can’t find anything other than the swastika controversy which AFAIK was the media making an Nazism issue out of an Eastern Culture comment.

if it were me I'd play somebody doing a cover of it. Or just skip over it. But then I'm a f***ing diplomatic motherfucker.
Hulk Hogan with Green Jelly covered it in the early 90s. I had it on vinyl and sold it on eBay for over £20 a couple of years back.

Last edited:

It's gonna be alright
'Cause I love you girl

Tonight's the night

Are you accusing Rod of kidrophilia?:lol:

I don't think that's necessarily true. And there are nonces and nonces. I don't think we should lump a 16-year-old who has sex with his 15-year-old girlfriend in with the likes of a 50-year-old member of the MBLA for example, to look at the extreme ends of the spectrum.

The latter is a despicable piece of shit who deserves to be put in prison for the rest of his life. The former is just a horny teen who doesn't deserve to be lambasted for the rest of his life over something he does at 16 with a consenting loving girlfriend.

MJ wasn't sexually attracted to underage girls (or boys), he was (allegedly) just experimenting with friends of the same mental age as him. It's not like he was going out of his way to find kids he could diddle.
I assume you've revised your opinion in the light of recent information?

I appreciate what you are saying and how it can be thought of, however the world of 40 years ago is so much different as it is today.
language used is much different and attitudes are as different as they can be to certain subjects such as sex and sexuality. the mad 60's may have a wild tone to it along with mini skirts and ban the bomb.
However a lot of teenagers were in transition from the old to the new.
there is the thought as well as what else would rhyme wild

I also agree that it would never have been penned like that now but so would a lot of things. Thank heavens for little girls, 3 wheels on my wagon and there is a hole in my bucket dear Liza.
all have degrees of thought nowadays, but back then just good old fun

I couldn't agree more with all you say. And that just makes it even sillier that I found myself thinking about it singing the song in the shower. Reading and listening to classic songs with a 2019 mindset is messing with some good tunes. It really annoys me.

Are you accusing Rod of kidrophilia?:lol:

:lol: Not accusing him of anything apart from having penned a great song.

Last edited:
I couldn't agree more with all you say. And that just makes it even sillier that I found myself thinking about it singing the song in the shower. Reading and listening to classic songs with a 2019 mindset is messing with some good tunes. It really annoys me.

:lol: Not accusing him of anything apart from having penned a great song.
:lol:
I'm not that bothered anyway, lock him up if you want.

just part of the way the world is evolving, where badness is looked for instead of enjoying the world.

a lot of good people out there

Art transcends the artist imho. Most of them will be utter insufferable wankers but a good time or a decent painting is independent of its maker imho.
Never really liked Jackson mind.

I agree. You consume the art, not the artist.

What have Kula Shaker done to make them morally questionable? I’ve just googled it and can’t find anything other than the swastika controversy which AFAIK was the media making an Nazism issue out of an Eastern Culture comment.

Threw them in cos people got sniffy after the Swastika stuff. Just another example.

Last edited:
Good Mornin' Little Schoolgirl is a 1950's peon to encourage young people to rise early and enjoy the delights of the dawn chorus

Back