Moral Music question..

Noir Désir. French alternative band in the 90's/early 00's. At the height of their fame, the singer beat his wife into a coma while they were both drunk. She died a few days later and he was imprisoned for 8 years for manslaughter.

SCRATCH THEM FROM HISTORY!

How horrific is too horrific? Is it only paedeophilia that should mean their music is no longer allowed to be listened to? Rape probably? What about murder? Attempted murder? Serious assault? What about drug offences? We're constantly told that by buying drugs people are funding terrorism, murder, violent assaults etc. by putting money into the hands of cartels. Should we throw away all our Beatles, Rolling Stones, Doors, Led Zep, Pink Floyd records? Every piece of electronica ever released?
You’re the one that mentioned integrity.

Noir Désir. French alternative band in the 90's/early 00's. At the height of their fame, the singer beat his wife into a coma while they were both drunk. She died a few days later and he was imprisoned for 8 years for manslaughter.

SCRATCH THEM FROM HISTORY!

Last time I listen to them then.

Interesting dilemma. I'm sure we alll listen to music by people who've had several 'indiscretions', I still listen to Leadbelly for example and he was jailed for murder.
I don't think Lostprophets have many remaining fans and even less airplay

As some may know, I present an internet radio, 70s chart show where I play the full Top 30 from a week in the 70s. This weekends listener requested chart is from 1973 and has Gary Glitter in it.. So oh wise smb'ers do I play the pervy one or stick n a cheeky sub and hope no-one knows?

The Glitter Band did no wrong and without them he would have just been a fat bloke in tight pants. You can't airbrush music out of history otherwise you would play no Elvis, Chuck Berry , Jerry Lee Lewis or (allegedly) Michael Jackson.

As some may know, I present an internet radio, 70s chart show where I play the full Top 30 from a week in the 70s. This weekends listener requested chart is from 1973 and has Gary Glitter in it.. So oh wise smb'ers do I play the pervy one or stick n a cheeky sub and hope no-one knows?
What's the station called?

I think how old they are may be a better question.
Younger than thou

Yeah you have to play it like, if your schtick is to play every track from the top 30 then it would be daft not to [play this one.
People still play Michael Jackson and loads of other alleged or actual kidfiddlers. I know it's recent and within living memory for a lot of us, but judging historic people and events by our modern values is a mistake. Whitewashing or noncewashing history will merely ensure that people will forget.

Michaelangelo used to bum a young apprentice every morning before ascending the scaffold to paint the Last Judgement on the Sistene Chapel ceiling it doesn't stop people marvelling at his works

Back