Moral Music question..

Discussion in 'SMB' started by Boinger, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Boinger

Boinger Winger

As some may know, I present an internet radio, 70s chart show where I play the full Top 30 from a week in the 70s. This weekends listener requested chart is from 1973 and has Gary Glitter in it.. So oh wise smb'ers do I play the pervy one or stick n a cheeky sub and hope no-one knows?

2. Thackeray

Thackeray Striker

How many listeners do you have?

Aituk7 likes this.
  3. Dubai Si

Dubai Si Central Defender

Arise Sir Jimmy. You play what you like.

Aituk7, Rotten Johnny and Boinger like this.
  4. Thackeray

Thackeray Striker

Anyway yes just play it an make some joke about him not being so proud of being the man who put the bang in gang nowadays.

yorkyexile, fyl2u and Boinger like this.
  5. Goat Eyes

Goat Eyes Striker

I went to a camper van festival in Redcar about 8 years ago dressed as a woman, the tribute act was GG. That was a surreal night.

Boinger likes this.
  6. mini-x2

mini-x2 Striker

I was out down Leeds a few years ago and Oporto played ‘Leader of the Gang’.

7. Boinger

Boinger Winger

Varies obviously but it has peaked at around 700 apparently. (according to the chap that runs it)

The very song. :lol:

Thackeray likes this.
  8. Thackeray

Thackeray Striker

Yeah you have to play it like, if your schtick is to play every track from the top 30 then it would be daft not to [play this one.

muggboots, fyl2u and Boinger like this.
  9. West_Winger

West_Winger Midfield

Just play it.

Boinger and Thackeray like this.
  10. Boinger

Boinger Winger

Play and be damned it is then. :cool:

11. Son of Stan

Son of Stan Winger

Difficult one. Stick a Glitter Band song on instead?

Do you have to pay PRS? Who would get the royalties for it?

12. cauldbairn

cauldbairn Full Back

13. fyl2u

fyl2u Striker

If you have any integrity then you'll play it. A historical chart radio show should play the songs that were historically in the charts. Full stop.

Do you talk in between songs? If so then you have the opportunity to mention how by playing it you don't condone his behaviour. You can do this in any number of ways, from a straight disclaimer to outright taking the piss out of people who bought it to make it chart. The world is your oyster on that one.

14. Charmless Man

Charmless Man Striker

:eek:

dixonsafc likes this.
  15. OOOSH YEAH

OOOSH YEAH Central Defender

100% play it. You can’t erase history. Let’s face it we only have to block out a bit of history for glitter. There are artists that have too much of a back catalogue to ban from history but they were blatantly nonces.

2 tunes-ban them
    Few albums-it’s too much chew.

I’m guessing you know who I mean.

16. Boinger

Boinger Winger

Not sure with PRS. I think the fees are included with what the owner pays to the broadcaster.

17. mini-x2

mini-x2 Striker

You seem to post a lot about ‘The New Penny’. Have you got summit you wanna get off your chest?

18. If you have any integrity :lol:

Well exaggerated

Boinger likes this.
  19. Boinger

Boinger Winger

Exactly how the station owner sees it, so I was gonna play it anyway. :cool: But I thought it made an interesting thread. :lol:

fyl2u likes this.
  20. fyl2u

fyl2u Striker

:confused: Pretty much the dictionary definition for his situation. He's a radio station that plays the chart from a specific week in history. By not playing a song that was in the charts in that week in history would be unintegral.

Boinger likes this.