Moderating an accent

• Thread starter Deleted member 14766
  • Start date

Mine changed a lot in the SE just to make myself understood really plus friends being local etc

It was the expressions that really confused people - are you going to give me wrong was a favourite

I'm up in Edinburgh working with a load of johnny foreigners (actual foreigners, not scots!) and they understand me no bother. Only trouble I've had was when I went down south to uni, did't think I even had an accent until I first moved away :lol:
I try now to talk slower and that but it makes me feel so uncomfortable.

Na such thing as a County Durham accent. Huge difference in Consett and Darlington accents.

By ‘huge’ do you mean ‘not decernable to anybody south of Wetherby’?

(I agree by the way)

It sounds like this woman finds you a bit creepy and is trying to make an excuse not to talk to you ?

She can’t talk with her mouth full so that might be a potential solution.

I have to talk slowly but loud as most people I see at work are old and deaf or deafish. The rest of the people I work with just have to take me as I am.
I’ve been away nearly 30 yrs though so I guess it’s not as strong as it was

Can’t understand Scots though

In my previous life as an academic I had to be really mindful of my accent. I was one of about 4 people in a lab group of 14 and had to present at a lot of conferences abroad where the audience would mainly speak English as a second language.

It’s definitely carried over into my normal speech where I now don’t speak with much of an accent at all. People in Newcastle often don’t realise I’m from the North East.

Back