Moderating an accent

Discussion in 'SMB' started by George Kaplan, May 16, 2018.

1. MonkeyLove

MonkeyLove Striker

Its the dialect that gets me. Not got a fucking clue what you're on about

2. Nookie Bear

Nookie Bear Winger

Mine changed a lot in the SE just to make myself understood really plus friends being local etc

It was the expressions that really confused people - are you going to give me wrong was a favourite

3. neiluk1985

neiluk1985 Central Defender

I'm up in Edinburgh working with a load of johnny foreigners (actual foreigners, not scots!) and they understand me no bother. Only trouble I've had was when I went down south to uni, did't think I even had an accent until I first moved away :lol:
    I try now to talk slower and that but it makes me feel so uncomfortable.

4. George Kaplan

George Kaplan Winger

By ‘huge’ do you mean ‘not decernable to anybody south of Wetherby’?

(I agree by the way)

She can’t talk with her mouth full so that might be a potential solution.

Bishop Boy and cornish mackem like this.
  5. I have to talk slowly but loud as most people I see at work are old and deaf or deafish. The rest of the people I work with just have to take me as I am.
    I’ve been away nearly 30 yrs though so I guess it’s not as strong as it was

Can’t understand Scots though

6. Charmless Man

Charmless Man Striker

In my previous life as an academic I had to be really mindful of my accent. I was one of about 4 people in a lab group of 14 and had to present at a lot of conferences abroad where the audience would mainly speak English as a second language.

It’s definitely carried over into my normal speech where I now don’t speak with much of an accent at all. People in Newcastle often don’t realise I’m from the North East.