Modem/WIFI nerds

are you able to connect to the wifi from any other locations in the building?

i presume you've switched the devices off & on?

is the phone an iPhone?
The router is right outside my door and no, took a walk and still no connection on either device.

Turned the devices off and on.

And no, phone is a Samsung.

Appreciate the help so far.

factory reset the router ya f***ing gonk, or better still set fire the the house
:lol::lol:

The router is right outside my door and no, took a walk and still no connection on either device.

Turned the devices off and on.

And no, phone is a Samsung.

Have you been connected before? Can the other working devices connect from where you want to?

i've not really been much help... we're getting near format the fucker, but we know that's not an option.

the difficult bit is that you have two independent devices not working, whilst other independent users can connect - its almost like they've changed the password and no ones telling!

i'm guessing the bloke responsible for the service isnt much help either.

if you can see the wifi, but can't connect then its the router dropping the handshake from your devices... which suggests its the router as you're entering the right password we assume (or never changed). however, if another device can see & get's a successful handshake its back to your (two) device. at this point i'd be telling the user to reset the router to factory settings (or restore the config from a backup!)...

either way, i'm not entirely sure there's more i can suggest for you to do.

i don't know if get's you anywhere, but you can turn on internet tethering on the samsung, and then connect the laptop to the samsung - although all you're proving at that point is that the windows shell is successfully authenticating with another device.

if you can see the wifi, but can't connect then its the router dropping the handshake from your devices... which suggests its the router as you're entering the right password we assume (or never changed). however, if another device can see & get's a successful handshake its back to your (two) device. at this point i'd be telling the user to reset the router to factory settings (or restore the config from a backup!)...
If I reset it then it will lose any password changes and restore to to the factory settings right? I might do that at 3am if I have no luck and fuck it for everyone (router covers about 15 people) so that boss man has to come round and sort it. :D

If I reset it then it will lose any password changes and restore to to the factory settings right? I might do that at 3am if I have no luck and fuck it for everyone (router covers about 15 people) so that boss man has to come round and sort it. :D
What kind of router is it? Do you know if it has 2.4 and 5 GHz networks?

Make sure your device internal WiFi adapters are turned on, I tried for hours one time to try and get my lappy connected only to discover I had somehow turned the WiFi off, Function (Fn)+F12, same with phone, make sure devices WiFi is turned on.

Make sure your device internal WiFi adapters are turned on, I tried for hours one time to try and get my lappy connected only to discover I had somehow turned the WiFi off, Function (Fn)+F12, same with phone, make sure devices WiFi is turned on.

Cheers but they are. I'm not quite that dense.

Others on the floor above (same modem) have the same issue but apparently people across the hall can use the Internet. Strange.

Boss man is sending an engineer tomorrow.

Last edited:
i've not really been much help... we're getting near format the fucker, but we know that's not an option.

the difficult bit is that you have two independent devices not working, whilst other independent users can connect - its almost like they've changed the password and no ones telling!

i'm guessing the bloke responsible for the service isnt much help either.

either way, i'm not entirely sure there's more i can suggest for you to do.

i don't know if get's you anywhere, but you can turn on internet tethering on the samsung, and then connect the laptop to the samsung - although all you're proving at that point is that the windows shell is successfully authenticating with another device.
A handshake. :lol:

Back