Missed opportunities with Dan Neil

I'm frustrated that a couple of times, he's not even been used off the bench but Maguire has.

Saturday is a prime example, if you aren't going to give the lad 15 minutes when you are 3-0 up away at the bottom side, then when are you? Maguire won't be here next season, there's little value in giving him minutes in dead games.

sorry I just meant he’s played couple diff roles in centre mid, don’t think it’s as simple as signed for 1 specific role

just think he’s ahead of Neil in centre mid full stop
I think he probably is right now. Tbh I think Neil is in a weird place. His talent is undeniable. He looks like he’s gonna be an absolutely cracking player. But Wednesday showed how far he is from affecting things at first team level. Not the technical side of course. More the defensive side, team shape, pressing etc. He generally looked lost on that other than that one moment when his fantastic technique dug him out of some pressure. I think @Moneyball sets our a compelling case for how he’s currently being developed. He’ll do most good for himself in training drills. The match day experience is as much about familiarisation and a carrot for the lad as it is about minutes right now. The good thing with Neil - and the key difference between him and Embleton - is that he’s much younger. I could see him being used as he has over the last few weeks - training permanently with the first team, match day squads, occasional bench visits, make the pitch once or twice - for the rest of the season and it being good for his development overall. Think the big push for Neil will come from the summer.
I'm frustrated that a couple of times, he's not even been used off the bench but Maguire has.

Saturday is a prime example, if you aren't going to give the lad 15 minutes when you are 3-0 up away at the bottom side, then when are you? Maguire won't be here next season, there's little value in giving him minutes in dead games.
There is if you might need a performance off the bench from the lad before the season end - as we got from him in the semi final.

Winchester and Neil aren't really analogous, though. Winchester was primarily signed to cover that deep-lying midfield position. You simply can't play Neil there at this stage of his development. Probably not ever tbh. He doesn't look that type of player.
The few times he's played has been in an advanced role, apart from the last 20mins on Saturday.

The few times he's played has been in an advanced role, apart from the last 20mins on Saturday.
True, but that’s about bringing a senior pro up to speed as anything else. Looking at the type of player he is - and what was said both on and off the record about his signing - he’s been brought in for that role.

The past 2 league game we have missed opportunities of giving him much needed experience in the league.

Both games were over and it would have been ideal for him to come on and get 15 / 20 mins in each game

Definitely missed a trick

Agree. What is the point of Winchester being here stopping that happening. So infuriating filling the squad with shite like that and preventing giving youth their chance

Now players are coming back from injury and it's quite clear his chances are going to be limited I think we should look to get him out on loan for a bit. Get some senior experience under his belt and get more experience.

Interesting to hear Johnson’s press conference today.

“I’ve never seen anyone as keen to play for Sunderland as Dan Neil”

Utter rubbish being 3 up with ten to go against ten is all over

He's a talented young player he could have come on ahead of Winchester yesterday

We need games in Winchester too. That way we have an experienced player who can help rotate Grant. The kid got a start and looked off the pace, peripheral. We're not exactly blessed with skilled players , he'll get his chance as and when the gaffer thinks he's ready and up for it.

We need games in Winchester too. That way we have an experienced player who can help rotate Grant. The kid got a start and looked off the pace, peripheral. We're not exactly blessed with skilled players , he'll get his chance as and when the gaffer thinks he's ready and up for it.
He's an 18 year old lad he will have games he isn't good alternatively he was good against mk Dons, how many poor games have scowen and leadbitter and power had this season they always get more chances, I just think 3 goals up bring him on nothing to lose.

He's an 18 year old lad he will have games he isn't good alternatively he was good against mk Dons, how many poor games have scowen and leadbitter and power had this season they always get more chances, I just think 3 goals up bring him on nothing to lose.
I'd say it's a no brainer tbh

Back