Missed opportunities with Dan Neil

Take your point, but getting game time at United adds a lot more value than league one Sunderland, although you'll probably argue it's all relative.
Aye.
Hopefully we’ll be offloading our kids who aren’t good enough for us in 2 or 3 yrs time to teams in L1&2 instead of buying our first team from em. Though I hope they’re all good enuff for us now AND in a few years time....and not becos we’re still shite then.

the clamour for Neil is getting boring now. yes he's a young local lad who looks promising but you'd think we were leaving out a world beater the way some people go on about him. would benefit more from going out on loan lower down the leagues and playing regularly in a first team
SAFC is now the “... lower down the leagues ...” option. It is why Wolves permitted Sanderson to come to the club, to get experience and game time (they obviously didn’t factor Parkinson into that equation !).

if Neil and Diamond are talented enough then they should be pushing themselves forward through their performances during training, etc., so that the manager can be justified in picking them. It would seem that, at the moment, the manager just prefers the predictability and reliability of the already tried and tested players at his disposal.

All that said, I agree that 3-0 up against the bottom of the league with only 10 men was a relatively risk-free opportunity.

Waste of time signing Winchester.
Winchester and Neil aren't really analogous, though. Winchester was primarily signed to cover that deep-lying midfield position. You simply can't play Neil there at this stage of his development. Probably not ever tbh. He doesn't look that type of player.

Why did Maguire instead of Neil come on for Power in the 85th minute?
I can't answer that, but might have something to do with Neil having 60 minutes earlier in the week and Maguire only having 15. But the two don't play the same position and Maguire also nearly got a fourth goal which I don't think Neil would have been in that position.
Neil I think is a talent though, but like Diamond will have up and down games (don't think he was particularly good against Lincoln the other night), so I think his time will be managed and this might include seeing him on loan next season (division one side hopefully as he is to good for division two I think) IMO.

Neil is natural a shuffler, he links play and rotates possession. He’s not a defensive midfielder. In the 433 system that LJ seems to have landed on the legs of Scowen and O’Nien in the high press are key to winning the ball back higher and earlier. LJ is very rigid on pressing triggers.

The other issue is that LJ wants his “wingers” to play in the inside forward pocket which reduces the space for a natural attack minded player to find space inbetween the lines.

I like Neil, I think he’s a player who can use the ball rather than legs first, quality second. He just needs to add a couple more strings to his bow - pressing triggers, weak side drop out when we are in possession and use training as the base to show LJ that he is capable and trustworthy. 10mins here and there aren’t going to do that.

Winchester and Neil aren't really analogous, though. Winchester was primarily signed to cover that deep-lying midfield position. You simply can't play Neil there at this stage of his development. Probably not ever tbh. He doesn't look that type of player.

Thats not true though, he has played several roles Winchester not just that

the reality is its another average senior pro blocking the path of a young lad

Neil is natural a shuffler, he links play and rotates possession. He’s not a defensive midfielder. In the 433 system that LJ seems to have landed on the legs of Scowen and O’Nien in the high press are key to winning the ball back higher and earlier. LJ is very rigid on pressing triggers.

The other issue is that LJ wants his “wingers” to play in the inside forward pocket which reduces the space for a natural attack minded player to find space inbetween the lines.

I like Neil, I think he’s a player who can use the ball rather than legs first, quality second. He just needs to add a couple more strings to his bow - pressing triggers, weak side drop out when we are in possession and use training as the base to show LJ that he is capable and trustworthy. 10mins here and there aren’t going to do that.
Why have him on the bench then? If that's the thinking you might aswell go with 6 subs

Why have him on the bench then? If that's the thinking you might aswell go with 6 subs

That’s just a little silly.

Don’t get me wrong I’d like to see the lad on the pitch more but he’s got to earn that in training more so than 10mins in a dead rubber.

Your point regarding giving Maguire game time ahead of him is very relevant. With Maguire on the decline and this lad playing in similar areas, albeit with very different styles, Neil may be the future but Maguire isn’t getting anything from 10mins.

That’s just a little silly.

Don’t get me wrong I’d like to see the lad on the pitch more but he’s got to earn that in training more so than 10mins in a dead rubber.

Your point regarding giving Maguire game time ahead of him is very relevant. With Maguire on the decline and this lad playing in similar areas, albeit with very different styles, Neil may be the future but Maguire isn’t getting anything from 10mins.
I dont think it's silly at all. If theres no chance of him coming on then theres no point.

Going back to your point about areas of his game to improve I think coming on for 10 mins in a live game and telling to him go press etc ... is valuable and definitely help improve as well as aiding this with training

I dont think it's silly at all. If theres no chance of him coming on then theres no point.

Going back to your point about areas of his game to improve I think coming on for 10 mins in a live game and telling to him go press etc ... is valuable and definitely help improve as well as aiding this with training

It’s chucking the baby out with the bath water mate! Injury after 3 mins ala Willis is the reason for subs more so than replacing tired legs.

I’m not saying that 10 min cameos (especially those where 3-0 or the like when the intensity, press and tempo have gone out of the game) won’t help his development, I am saying those cameos are vastly less impactful in impressing the head coach and his overall development than training. In my humble opinion.

Now if he was getting the odd start it’s a whole level of mentality for the kid.

It’s chucking the baby out with the bath water mate! Injury after 3 mins ala Willis is the reason for subs more so than replacing tired legs.

I’m not saying that 10 min cameos (especially those where 3-0 or the like when the intensity, press and tempo have gone out of the game) won’t help his development, I am saying those cameos are vastly less impactful in impressing the head coach and his overall development than training. In my humble opinion.

Now if he was getting the odd start it’s a whole level of mentality for the kid.
Just think if he came on and looked the part even for 10 mins, maybe set a goal up or got on the scoresheet it may give him confidence that he belonged at 1st level. I just have the sense hes still striving for that, the same with Embleton I believe

Just think if he came on and looked the part even for 10 mins, maybe set a goal up or got on the scoresheet it may give him confidence that he belonged at 1st level. I just have the sense hes still striving for that, the same with Embleton I believe

That I totally agree with. From his point of view that justification is key for any young player.

Let’s hope he earns LJs trust however it comes! I want young players coming through, it’s crucial I believe to success moving forward.

Back