Millwall fans raising money for Bradley Lowery Foundation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Well done Millwall,Everton and everyone else who have dipped into their pockets.Have Millwall now been added to our love-in list alongside Feyernoord,Everton,Atletico Bilbao and Norwich?

EVEN BETTER

MILLWALL FANS RAISE £2,300 FOR THE BRADLEY LOWERY FOUNDATION

Remembering Bradley Lowery

By Chris Prete

Remember Bradley Lowery? He was the little boy in Sunderland, suffering from a rare form of cancer. He couldn’t get treatment in this country on the NHS. A fund was launched, to pay for his treatment abroad. He seemed to be holding his own against the disease, but unfortunately relapsed, and his condition got worse. Just before the football season kicked off earlier this year, Bradley Lowery passed away. His passing touched many lives, and especially football fans from all over the country. He was a Sunderland supporter.

His funeral took place while we (myself and my wife Sue) were on holiday with our friends Kelly and Ellen. We watched the news reports on TV. Hundreds of football fans attended the funeral in their team shirts. Just about every club was represented. Rather appropriately, keeping in mind the football connection, someone coined the phrase “Cancer has no colours”. We joined in with thousands of other people on the day of the funeral, and released helium balloons in Bradley’s memory. To us, the balloons symbolised his spirit flying free. The occasion also brought to mind the plight of Millwall fan, little Harvey Brown, and the campaign to raise funding for him. The NHS refused him treatment on the grounds of cost, but caved in due to overwhelming public support for his cause.

That night was quite an emotional time. Millwall fans were just coming to terms with the London Bridge attack, and the stabbing of Millwall fan Roy Larner, who stood up to the terrorists. Therefore, a drink or two or three, and a chat was in order! The end result was, that myself, Kelly, Ellen and my wife Sue, decided to do something positive to help in some way. With the match against Sunderland coming up, we hit on the idea of getting a flag or banner made up, to express our solidarity with Sunderland fans over their loss. The idea was to take it to Sunderland, then hand it over to some Sunderland supporters to bring to The Den in March.

A conversation in the pub before a home match, led to Martin Cooper coming on board. He suggested holding a charity night. Martin approached the Eltham Hill Social Club, where we are also members. The club readily agreed, and gave us the hall and staff for nothing. Martin then contacted fellow Millwall fan, Paul Fuller (the ex-Oasis backing singer). Although busy gigging and touring, he agreed to perform for free. Then Stevie Wynn put me in touch with journalist and author of numerous football books, Mark Metcalf, who is a massive Sunderland fan who has seen his side play many times at the Den, old and new. He began opening doors for us to the Bradley Lowery Foundation. The foundation was set up after Bradley’s death, to provide help to other people who can’t get treatment or medical equipment through the NHS.

The weeks leading up to the charity night were literally a blur. The banner was ordered, a planning meeting was held, and the offers of help came flooding in. Harvey Brown’s family were invited as guests of honour. A message of support was received from the Bradley Lowery Foundation. We had auction items donated by Millwall, Charlton, and local Eltham businesses, plus no end of raffles prizes. We were ready to rock!

Although Friday the 13th sounds inauspicious for a charity night, the day started well. Mark Metcalf – author of the authorised biography on Millwall and Sunderland legend Charlie Hurley (and a great friend of Lions season ticket holder Robert Boyling), had put a piece about the charity night on the Sunderland AFC message boards. Messages of support, and encouragement were soon being posted. It was a great gesture by the Sunderland fans.

Despite last minute nerves on my part, the evening was a huge success. Paul Fuller opened the evening with the first set of two sets. He was at his best, and had the place pulsating with a variety of songs, that stretched from The Beatles and Rod Stewart, right up to Oasis. But the best was yet to come! The message of thanks and support was read out from Gemma Lowery and Lynn Murphy, then it was straight on with the auction - hosted by Dean Brown. The lots went down like dominoes, and the bidding was fast and furious. A 2004 FA Cup Final shirt (signed by the Millwall team), this season’s signed shirt, a Millwall signed football, a signed Nigel Ben boxing glove, and a signed Madness picture, were just some of the items which raised £785. The raffle followed, with the winning tickets drawn out by special guest Harvey Brown. Finally, the evening was brought to a close with Paul Fuller’s second set.

The event raised £2,231.55 on the night, which the social club have made up to £2,300. We have also been promised further donations from people who couldn’t get there, and from the Millwall Supporters Club. The proceeds will be presented to the Bradley Lowery Foundation, before the Sunderland v Millwall match on the 18th of November - where it is hoped that Sunderland will agree to the presentation on the pitch. Mark Metcalf is also arranging for Millwall fans who can make it to have a beer with some Sunderland fans prior to the match.

Always had a soft spot for Mmmmmwall, just unfortunate it's been my nose & arse on a couple of occasions :)

But have always thought they were a loyal bunch & as said a " proper club"
Had a few “ interesting “ moments down there mesel. On the other hand I’ve met several Millwall fans down the years with work and on holiday and without exception they’ve been good people, so this effort doesn’t surprise me.

Had a few “ interesting “ moments down there mesel. On the other hand I’ve met several Millwall fans down the years with work and on holiday and without exception they’ve been good people, so this effort doesn’t surprise me.

They were always a good bunch on our train home from RP when we played them. Iirc, Ginger Berb was among em

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back