Milk Cup Final - 35 yrs ago yesterday...

....feel very old!

Apologies if SEB but cannot see a thread on it.

Ashurst should never have dropped Colin West, Corner's mistake and Walker's missed penalty.

A great cup run though, can still remember the excitement and nerves at school like yesterday on the day of the Forest game at RP...and the replay at WHL was an absolute classic, Chris Turner was outstanding.

Great memories as a 13 yr old kid and had the privilege of not just being at Wembley but also to see it full, 100k plus with terracing at either end...awesome.

I was in Norwich end when we got the pen me another mlf who was next to me jumped up and down together , never met him before never met him again
Bloody missed anarl, dont know if you can remember

....feel very old!

Apologies if SEB but cannot see a thread on it.

Ashurst should never have dropped Colin West, Corner's mistake and Walker's missed penalty.

A great cup run though, can still remember the excitement and nerves at school like yesterday on the day of the Forest game at RP...and the replay at WHL was an absolute classic, Chris Turner was outstanding.

Great memories as a 13 yr old kid and had the privilege of not just being at Wembley but also to see it full, 100k plus with terracing at either end...awesome.
Me too now. Thanks.

A disastrous day
Should have known that it wouldn't go well when the coach arrived too late to get a beer before the game
The parachutist missing the pitch and landing on the roof
No Colin West, who was on fire in the cup run, Corner fluffing an easy clearance , and I've never been able to watch a left footer take a pen since Walker's miss (stand up Mickey Gray)
Two hours to get out of the car park at Wembley and when we eventually got onto the M1 a pair of twats dropped a stone from a flyover which put the windscreen of the coach in - no replacements in Hemel Hempstead on a Sunday night so the rest of the journey was done at 40MPH with the wind, rain and sometimes sleet coming into the coach on my side - I've never been so cold in my life even living in the Highlands - To add insult to injury I ran out of fags before we got back to Sunderland and couldnt find anywhere to get a packet (it was 3 am and well before the days of 24 hour shops)
Definitely not a day I would like to live again unless the result was different

Remember that day well,as a 14 year year old going down on a mini bus full of excited Sunderland fans was one of my fondest memories,even though we got beat and I was gutted the level of noise we made inside Wembley that day will stick with me forever

Train down at midnight from Newcastle central station , which was a tad interesting beforehand to say the least.

Over an hour later we went over Victoria viaduct at Fatfield , didn’t get to London till about 8.00am iirc.

Train down at midnight from Newcastle central station , which was a tad interesting beforehand to say the least.

Over an hour later we went over Victoria viaduct at Fatfield , didn’t get to London till about 8.00am iirc.
Weren't the trains delayed as there was a fatality (one of our supporters stuck his head out of a window just as the train entered a tunnel iirc)

Set me on the road to becoming a Sunderland supporter. The 1992 FA Cup Final was the one that sealed it. My dad took me to see us play Tranmere on Sunday March 5 1995 in the pouring rain (my only Roker Park game) but not long after that it was when I started to listen to the team on BBC Radio Newcastle in the Simon Crabtree days I became a fan. But the Milk Cup Final set me on the road.

A disastrous day
Should have known that it wouldn't go well when the coach arrived too late to get a beer before the game
The parachutist missing the pitch and landing on the roof
No Colin West, who was on fire in the cup run, Corner fluffing an easy clearance , and I've never been able to watch a left footer take a pen since Walker's miss (stand up Mickey Gray)
Two hours to get out of the car park at Wembley and when we eventually got onto the M1 a pair of twats dropped a stone from a flyover which put the windscreen of the coach in - no replacements in Hemel Hempstead on a Sunday night so the rest of the journey was done at 40MPH with the wind, rain and sometimes sleet coming into the coach on my side - I've never been so cold in my life even living in the Highlands - To add insult to injury I ran out of fags before we got back to Sunderland and couldnt find anywhere to get a packet (it was 3 am and well before the days of 24 hour shops)
Definitely not a day I would like to live again unless the result was different
Sounds like a great weekend did we win

Every player Ashurst signed got on the pitch that day. That team was selected with one eye on the SAFC history books. For the sake of his ego he lost the players, crowd, board and his job. Madness.

Went to Palace A, Forest H, Spurs H&A, Watford A, Chelsea H&A, Final. Pickerings arse in is up there with the beach ball goal for me. Gayles v Forest would’ve hurt a few in the crowd if the net hadn’t stopped it, Turner and Hodgson v Spurs away were as good a two performances as I’ve seen from safc players ever. Chelsea aways been done dozens of times on here. No memory of Palace game at all, nivver liked the trek ower there.

I honestly thought we were gonna win it. Nivver felt like that at Wembley since.

[...feel very old!]

Quite a lot of the threads on here also make me feel very old. But to be fair they also remind me of some better times at games.

Back