Milk Cup Final - 35 yrs ago yesterday...

I remember getting back onto our coach after the game. The coach area was crowded with the Norwich fans as they went home. Wierdly, every face I saw was miserable despite the fact they'd won. [Unless they semi-expected some reaction if they looked happy at winning the game]

Would this game have been the last game in England to have a 100,000 attendance?

Edit- forget that. There'd be the fa cup final. Maybe the penultimate.

Last edited:
....feel very old!

Apologies if SEB but cannot see a thread on it.

Ashurst should never have dropped Colin West, Corner's mistake and Walker's missed penalty.

A great cup run though, can still remember the excitement and nerves at school like yesterday on the day of the Forest game at RP...and the replay at WHL was an absolute classic, Chris Turner was outstanding.

Great memories as a 13 yr old kid and had the privilege of not just being at Wembley but also to see it full, 100k plus with terracing at either end...awesome.
Exactly this, I could have wrote this myself.

Every player Ashurst signed got on the pitch that day. That team was selected with one eye on the SAFC history books. For the sake of his ego he lost the players, crowd, board and his job. Madness.

Went to Palace A, Forest H, Spurs H&A, Watford A, Chelsea H&A, Final. Pickerings arse in is up there with the beach ball goal for me. Gayles v Forest would’ve hurt a few in the crowd if the net hadn’t stopped it, Turner and Hodgson v Spurs away were as good a two performances as I’ve seen from safc players ever. Chelsea aways been done dozens of times on here. No memory of Palace game at all, nivver liked the trek ower there.

I honestly thought we were gonna win it. Nivver felt like that at Wembley since.
I met Arsehurts several times and can confirm that he was instantly dis-likable . He is one of those tossers who thinks he has money because he's super intelligent, not because he could kick a ball about . Fancied himself as an antique dealer but he didn't have the brains for that . Dropping West was so stupid . We would have won if he'd played . Let's face it Narch were shit anal .
Same here mate. Was absolutely f***ing gutted at end. Played poorly .
Many on here will remember the late great Frank Preston . He walked out of Wembley that day and never watched Sunderland again . So he told me .

Last edited:
went down on a bus from wheatley hill. the driver was busting for a slash so him and the other driver changed over on the move on the m1 so he could get to the bucket.

....feel very old!

Apologies if SEB but cannot see a thread on it.

Ashurst should never have dropped Colin West, Corner's mistake and Walker's missed penalty.

A great cup run though, can still remember the excitement and nerves at school like yesterday on the day of the Forest game at RP...and the replay at WHL was an absolute classic, Chris Turner was outstanding.

Great memories as a 13 yr old kid and had the privilege of not just being at Wembley but also to see it full, 100k plus with terracing at either end...awesome.

Dropping West for Wallace was a shocking decision.
I heard many years ago that there was a big fight in the Sunderland dressing room before the game. When Ashurst announced the tea, West punched him, there was a free for all, Howard Gayle tried to break it up and got a punch in the cross fire.

I never did find out if its true, it what I was told a week or so after the game. May explain why West was sold just 4 days after the final.

Would be interesting to know if anyone can shed light or whether this happened or not?

We were crap that day. :confused:
Never thought we would score the pen from the moment the ref gave it.
First of 5 live Wembley defeats for me..

Back