Mileage receipts - HMRC - contracting

Discussion in 'SMB' started by Bob Fleming, Jan 11, 2019.

1. girojim

girojim Striker

Even if hmrc were carrying out an investigation they'd accept mileage logs as long as you can back up the reasons for yiur journeys. They'd never ask for petrol receipts

2. Beery

Beery Striker

As an employee you just log your miles - he may check against google maps

3. zwartekat

zwartekat Striker

Fair enough. Don't blame you.

It's fairly basic but you can link the fuel purchase to the miles if you are claiming for business journeys but don't appear to have bought any fuel for those journeys.

4. Bob Fleming

Bob Fleming Striker

Cheers all. Going to grief them on Monday. Stamp my feet and go elsewhere.

shepherd88 likes this.
  5. turtleiris

turtleiris Full Back

You log your miles, journey details and reason for travel and claim on that basis but an employer reimbursing expenses, whether at approved rates or otherwise would be wise to have in place a robust system of checking said claims in the event of a HMRC employer compliance check. That said, there is no requirement for them to check your receipts for travel in your own car. They may well be misinterpreting the mileage rules with those of other travel expenses which do require receipts e.g. taxis, trains.
    So, in summary, tell them to fuck off.

6. Bob Fleming

Bob Fleming Striker

I needed paying so gave them bank statements but asked for proof of this requirement from HMRC. I will tell them to fuck off next week if they don't satisfy this or back down.

7. turtleiris

turtleiris Full Back

There is absolutely no requirement from HMRC for you to provide personal bank statements to your employer. They've crossed a line there mind. In fact, I'd be minded to report the fuckers to HMRC.

8. Stubbs ftm

Stubbs ftm Winger

45p for first 10k business miles

Keep a log of your journeys

9. Goat Eyes

Goat Eyes Striker

I’ve got nearly three years worth of diesel receipts you can buy off me? ;)

10. buster

buster Winger

Tax year or calendar?

11. girojim

girojim Striker

Tax mate

12. buster

buster Winger

Knew it was , I was just checking out your vast knowledge of all things tax related.

13. girojim

girojim Striker

:lol:
    Glad I passed

14. Wilfy

Wilfy Striker

Last time I worked under an umbrella company, I was claiming £11 a day parking. I don’t drive.

Beery likes this.
  15. Roger

Roger The Gaffer Staff Member

That was my thought.

I have been contracting/self employed for a lot of years and I have always understood you only need the fuel receipts if you are claiming a proportion of cars use as expenses. If you are just claiming the fixed mileage allowance which is far simpler I think they are happy as long as you have reasonable evidence that the mileage travelled is correct.

ShoutyBearHead and girojim like this.
  16. girojim

girojim Striker

That is correct

17. The Butcher

The Butcher Winger

Umbrella companies, ffs. HMRC clamping down on limited companies to push people through these chancers, on a par with agents. Nice one tories.

18. safcsafc

safcsafc Midfield

I have to hand in fuel receipts with any mileage claims. Seems i'm in the minority going by this thread.