Mike Ashley on the high street

Hugh Gains

Winger
Went to the commons to talk about the state of the high street and one solution is to tax online sales.

When is the solution not to further increase taxes? The high street can fuck off for me, who needs it.

Went to the commons to talk about the state of the high street and one solution is to tax online sales.

When is the solution not to further increase taxes? The high street can fuck off for me, who needs it.
Massive companies like those he owns destroyed the high street years before the internet had a go. Supermarkets ruined town centres and so it goes on.

Opposite for me this year. Making the effort to get out and go shopping.

Globalization is leading to a few brands which will own everything we consume, it takes more money out of our local area, it pays less tax into funding services, there's very very little that's good about online shopping, it's convenient but long term it will kill trade and money will leave our country but also our region.

Seems a reasonable solution, tax online outlets which have far fewer overheads than retail premises, and also give the high street a better chance of surviving long term.
Look at it this way, amazon and the like may seem cheap as fuck at the minute but once they've disposed of the competition what's to hold them back from raising prices once consumer choice has been lessened. Plus the massive online places fuck us all over tax wise to begin with
Also no shops and a shit load of pubs and cafés etc will close too as the foot fall will just disappear from town centres.
There'll just be a load of takeaways and drive thru McDonald's

Back