Migraines

Anyone else suffer from these bastards? Feel like eyeball is going to explode. :(
I did . They started when I was 14 and pretty much ruined my life at the time . I was told several times that they ran in 7 tear cycles . They stopped when I was 21 . My last attack as the worst and ended in minutes after I bowked up . Best of luck mate .
Our lass gets them but without the pain , just the flashing lights etc..

Last edited:
Cheers I’ve had them for more than 7 years that’s for sure.

I guess I can be happy they aren’t full blown clusters

Was diagnosed with cluster headaches about 7 year ago. Last 8-week long daily (sometimes twice/three times a day) bout was last year so i'll be expecting the horrible bastards back sometime next May/June.

Was diagnosed with cluster headaches about 7 year ago. Last 8-week long daily (sometimes twice/three times a day) bout was last year so i'll be expecting the horrible bastards back sometime next May/June.

Jesus fella they sound truly awful.

Jesus fella they sound truly awful.

Yep. Only blessing is they tend to leave me alone when at work unless I try to take painkillers (sumatriptan injections) which kill the pain within 5 minutes but just hit me harder and more often. I've given up on this and purely rely on oxygen for 10mins intervals for the duration. I wouldn't wish them on anybody.

Suffered for years. Doctor gave me sumatriptan tablets So far so good. Take one at first sign of one starting and another if that doesn't work.

I did . They started when I was 14 and pretty much ruined my life at the time . I was told several times that they ran in 7 tear cycles . They stopped when I was 21 . My last attack as the worst and ended in minutes after I bowked up . Best of luck mate .
Our lass gets them but without the pain , just the flashing lights etc..

Never knew about that 7 year cycle thing, I had my first when I was 15 and last at 22. Been more than 4 years since the last one.

Horrendous things, I used to get blind spot followed by hours of pounding headache and nausea.

Never knew about that 7 year cycle thing, I had my first when I was 15 and last at 22. Been more than 4 years since the last one.

Horrendous things, I used to get blind spot followed by hours of pounding headache and nausea.
That’s pretty much where I’m at now...

Still not a patch on cluster headaches

Had one last Sunday, first one for about two years. Ended up with top of head being sensitive to touch, stiff neck and blurred vision and unable to focus. Managed to get through the match, but waved the white flag at around 6pm and just went to bed and ride it out.

I think it was brought on by combination of tiredness and eating a food trigger the night before.

Haven’t had one in a while and I’m pleased I haven’t. My doctor sent me for an MRI because of them. Turns out that I’ve got White Matter Disease whoch is essentially a bit of dead brain. Nowt to do with the migraines but still. I could’ve had it for years or even since I’ve been born. Apparently it’s also an indicator of dementia.

I suffer and take imigram (sp). It’s been a couple of months since my last episode and I’ve no obvious triggers.

I’m good at spotting them coming on and normally one tablet works

I suffer and take imigram (sp). It’s been a couple of months since my last episode and I’ve no obvious triggers.

I’m good at spotting them coming on and normally one tablet works
There was no treatment available when I had attacks . Jesus they were f***ing bad times . No treatment, no sympathy but no shortage of triggers .

Blimey another fellow CH sufferer. Solidarity marra! Have you been on OUCHUK.org? The Organisation for the Understand of Cluster Headache. Loads of great info there and a forum for sufferers and their families to discuss the latest treatments and give each other support.

My last period of remission was about 3 years (when I first started getting them in my late teens/early 20's it was only about a year long and has been gradually getting longer) and it's been about 3 years since my last bout so I'm expecting a visit from The Beast pretty soon. Already stocked up on a few weeks worth of sumatriptan injection packs from my last bout. I'll be taking verapamil again this time around too after trying it for the first time last bout.

Anyone else suffer from these bastards? Feel like eyeball is going to explode. :(

You sure it's migraines?

If it's a sharp pain through the eyeball that feels like you've been stabbed through the eyeball with a knitting needle that someone continues to flick every few seconds afterwards then it could be CH. As far as I'm aware, migraines are more thuddy, less stabby. And with migraines you want to lie down but with CH you can't sit still, you have to writhe about/roll around/rock back and forth.

Either way, best wishes marra. Head pain isn't funny.

Have you been on OUCHUK.org? The Organisation for the Understand of Cluster Headache.

FFS typo... The Organisation for the Understanding of Cluster Headache.

Yep. Only blessing is they tend to leave me alone when at work unless I try to take painkillers (sumatriptan injections) which kill the pain within 5 minutes but just hit me harder and more often. I've given up on this and purely rely on oxygen for 10mins intervals for the duration. I wouldn't wish them on anybody.

Ah, I can't have the oxygen because I'm a smoker. Sensibly so, as filling a room with oxygen then having a smoke is a surefire way to make your house explode.

Verapamil as a preventive worked a treat for me last time. Reduced my attacks from 6 a day at KIP-10 down to only a couple at about KIP-2 or 3. I was taking over 1000mg a day though, so it was making me weak and fuzzy-headed instead. I'll take it though. Better fuzzy-headed and weak than 6 full blown attacks a day and only being able to abort a couple per day with the injections.

Last edited:
Blimey another fellow CH sufferer. Solidarity marra! Have you been on OUCHUK.org? The Organisation for the Understand of Cluster Headache. Loads of great info there and a forum for sufferers and their families to discuss the latest treatments and give each other support.

My last period of remission was about 3 years (when I first started getting them in my late teens/early 20's it was only about a year long and has been gradually getting longer) and it's been about 3 years since my last bout so I'm expecting a visit from The Beast pretty soon. Already stocked up on a few weeks worth of sumatriptan injection packs from my last bout. I'll be taking verapamil again this time around too after trying it for the first time last bout.

Ah, I can't have the oxygen because I'm a smoker. Sensibly so, as filling a room with oxygen then having a smoke is a surefire way to make your house explode.

Verapamil as a preventive worked a treat for me last time. Reduced my attacks from 6 a day at KIP-10 down to only a couple at about KIP-2 or 3. I was taking over 1000mg a day though, so it was making me weak and fuzzy-headed instead. I'll take it though. Better fuzzy-headed and weak than 6 full blown attacks a day and only being able to abort a couple per day with the injections.

Sounds wrong but reassuring to know someone else gets them. I've never spoken or met anyone else who gets them. Yes - I have a look on the OUCH website in times of need/desperation.

Yeah, mine started at about 18yo, went to the doctors at 21 and they basically laughed me out the door when I said I got headaches so never spoke to anyone about them, until I met my missus at 30yo. She saw the state of me and hassled me for aout 3 years to keep hassling the GPs, I eventually saw a GP (young lad who was a locum) who referred me to a neurologist who diagnosed CH when I was 34. Its the first time I was taken seriously.

I've never tried Verapamil, and to be honest since we moved house my current GP was very sceptical about giving me a prescription for Sumatriptan injections. Its daft but I feel like a right twat going to the GP and trying to tell them what sort of pain I'm in. Having said that my CH, as daft as it sounds, is like a deal with the devil - if I don't attempt to manage the pain he'll hit me once a day at some point in the evening/night. If I fuck him about with painkillers, he hit me multiple times the following day when its as inconvenient, ie. at work/out. So basically I get Oxygen from BOC gases ( who are excellent - will deliver within 2 hours if I need some in an emergency) which I take in 10 minute intervals and pace the floor for 1.5-2 hours.

I would recommend stopping smoking and getting O2.

If I hear of a miracle cure I'll let you know!

You sure it's migraines?

If it's a sharp pain through the eyeball that feels like you've been stabbed through the eyeball with a knitting needle that someone continues to flick every few seconds afterwards then it could be CH. As far as I'm aware, migraines are more thuddy, less stabby. And with migraines you want to lie down but with CH you can't sit still, you have to writhe about/roll around/rock back and forth.

Either way, best wishes marra. Head pain isn't funny.

FFS typo... The Organisation for the Understanding of Cluster Headache.

I think it’s migraines, it’s more of a dull pressure albeit painful. A dark room and a nytol helped last night.

Its like having a hangover the next day... drained with poor vision.

Sounds wrong but reassuring to know someone else gets them. I've never spoken or met anyone else who gets them. Yes - I have a look on the OUCH website in times of need/desperation.

Yeah, mine started at about 18yo, went to the doctors at 21 and they basically laughed me out the door when I said I got headaches so never spoke to anyone about them, until I met my missus at 30yo. She saw the state of me and hassled me for aout 3 years to keep hassling the GPs, I eventually saw a GP (young lad who was a locum) who referred me to a neurologist who diagnosed CH when I was 34. Its the first time I was taken seriously.

I've never tried Verapamil, and to be honest since we moved house my current GP was very sceptical about giving me a prescription for Sumatriptan injections. Its daft but I feel like a right twat going to the GP and trying to tell them what sort of pain I'm in. Having said that my CH, as daft as it sounds, is like a deal with the devil - if I don't attempt to manage the pain he'll hit me once a day at some point in the evening/night. If I fuck him about with painkillers, he hit me multiple times the following day when its as inconvenient, ie. at work/out. So basically I get Oxygen from BOC gases ( who are excellent - will deliver within 2 hours if I need some in an emergency) which I take in 10 minute intervals and pace the floor for 1.5-2 hours.

I would recommend stopping smoking and getting O2.

If I hear of a miracle cure I'll let you know!

Verapamil is a blood pressure medication but it's been found to be effective to reduce the frequency and intensity of CH attacks. I had to have an ECG to make sure my heart would be OK if I took it. The doctor started me on 120mg and rose it over the next few weeks to 360mg, which made a bit of a difference but not enough, so I ramped my own dosage up over the next couple of weeks. When I got to about 1000mg the attacks were so mild that I could even start drinking wine again! (Alcohol is a massive trigger for me and most other CH sufferers. A half of beer or a single glass of wine will guarantee me an attack in 30 minutes when I'm in-season.) It's not a cure, and like I said it left me feeling weak and exhausted for a few months but wow is it better than not taking it!

Also: You crazy man, working out in CH season! That would trigger attacks for me. I just consider myself out of action for the duration of a pain bout and then deal with recovering when the next remission period starts.

Had one actually night before last, woke up around 2am terrible pain mainly to one side of my head, intense ache/sharp burning pain behind my left eye, naturally being tired I managed to drift in/out of sleep but started thinking I'm going blind in one eye or something :confused: I don't get these migraines too often, maybe a couple of times a year? I had a drink before bed plus the bastard heating was on full wack when I woke up suffering, thought I might have been dehydrated and that triggered it? - interesting read seeing others suffer.

Back