Midget Gems

The Oxford Dictionary has said by the end of the century the book will consist of the front cover only.This is due to the fact that every word printed in the book will have offended someone.People in the future will have to revert back to the days of the cavemen OG and UG and just use grunts to communicate .
Finally, some good news for the gammons.

You can't even laugh at dwarves any more. When they're jumping about at panto in Snow White and you're paying £35 a ticket that's fine. They want you to laugh at them then.

But you see the little fella out shopping with his family on Deansgate, you wind your window down and start singing 'Hi-ho, hi-ho', he'll turn around and tell you to p*** off.

Didn't he, Phil?"

Simple fact is that midget is used as a derogatory term and is offensive to people. As such it seems right to change the name. No big deal for most people and nothing to get remotely annoyed about.
Not to piss on your chips but do you not think people will continue to find perfectly good words within the English language and use them in a derogatory way, hence taking away the right of people to use certain words without malice?

Maybe people should stop being so precious and getting offended at things that aren't necessarily intended to be offensive.
Vertically challenged gems sounds better. Cheesy puffs and faggots next.
And Little Mix is offensive to small, Irish people.
And Black Jacks

Not to piss on your chips but do you not think people will continue to find perfectly good words within the English language and use them in a derogatory way, hence taking away the right of people to use certain words without malice?

Maybe people should stop being so precious and getting offended at things that aren't necessarily intended to be offensive.

And Black Jacks
Language evolves and words become associated with offensive connotations, working in learning disabilities for much of my career there are lots of words no one would use now that were perfectly acceptable medical terminology years ago. Intent to offend is obviously a factor but offence can still be caused unintentionally and shouldn’t be dismissed entirely. I’d be absolutely livid if the people I support were referred to in archaic medical language by people that intend to offend but more likely to explain the reasons not to use such language where it’s through ignorance rather than malice. I fully understand why midget is problematic.

Language evolves and words become associated with offensive connotations, working in learning disabilities for much of my career there are lots of words no one would use now that were perfectly acceptable medical terminology years ago. Intent to offend is obviously a factor but offence can still be caused unintentionally and shouldn’t be dismissed entirely. I’d be absolutely livid if the people I support were referred to in archaic medical language by people that intend to offend but more likely to explain the reasons not to use such language where it’s through ignorance rather than malice. I fully understand why midget is problematic.
Like when the Spastics Society changed their name to Scope?

Like when the Spastics Society changed their name to Scope?
Yeah, the word had become widely used as an insult but is still used in lots of places. Watched Buffy the vampire slayer with my son recently and “ Spaz” as well as “ retard” were used a few times.
There’s a balance of course, in literature for example not using historically accurate language is problematic in my view and ignores historical context, reducing educational opportunities but in modern life there is no reason to use those kinds of words in relation to individuals whether in relation to disabilities, race, sexuality, faith or gender.

Yeah, the word had become widely used as an insult but is still used in lots of places. Watched Buffy the vampire slayer with my son recently and “ Spaz” as well as “ retard” were used a few times.
There’s a balance of course, in literature for example not using historically accurate language is problematic in my view and ignores historical context, reducing educational opportunities but in modern life there is no reason to use those kinds of words in relation to individuals whether in relation to disabilities, race, sexuality, faith or gender.
Imagine making a film based around racism in 70’s Britain and not being able to use derogatory remarks.

It wouldn’t work.

Back