Middle Eastern Restauraunt Food in Sunderland

You’d eat that type of bait from cafes and shit houses in the Middle East, so why because in Sunderland should it be different? Feels wrong sitting eating that type of bait in a swanky restaurant.

Just back from Turkey, kebabs were best from the manky places....Mmmmm!
Probably shite was too strong a word. If you’re happy going to a cafe type environment then effes is fine. I wouldn’t bother going back to arabesque though.

Probably shite was too strong a word. If you’re happy going to a cafe type environment then effes is fine. I wouldn’t bother going back to arabesque though.
I’d agree with that, in my opinion Arabesque is all fur coat and no knickers, service was poor also, I did leave disappointed...Efes is canny though.

There's a one on Westgate road through Newcastle that is top notch, sitty in, good value take away/cafe style and the food is incredible. Cant remember the name of it it's on the left as you drive away from the centre not far past the top of the bank. Wish there was somewhere like that in Sunderland. Proper Persian food. Shawarmas are mint

Just been on back of this post!

Shawarmas express? Proper old school, old boys drinking glases of tea etc. Mixed one £3.50 n fecking huge. Lovely.

Thanks.

Pleased I live 30 mile from it!

Just been on back of this post!

Shawarmas express? Proper old school, old boys drinking glases of tea etc. Mixed one £3.50 n fecking huge. Lovely.

Thanks.

Pleased I live 30 mile from it!

Dinnar if that's the name of it but sounds exactly like it. We got a pot of Arabic herbal tea free last time we sat in, was really lemonny from what I remember . But aye, feels very authentic (by that I mean rough round the edges and full of arabs)

Which is better for middle eastern style mixed grills Arabesque or Enfes? Bare in mind I am a right greedy knacker so portion size comes into play anarl.

Went to Enfes last Friday night, it deffo got more of a restaurant feel to it rather than the cafe style it was before. Was packed but they squeezed two of us in. Just had a mixed meat platter for 2, extra falafel and a pint each it came to £25. was only in there 30 mins . Bloody lovely it was. The spicy sausage and hummus were belta

Last edited:
It's weird arabesque, the food seems quite authentic, as in authentically like a cafe type place you'd actually eat in in the middle East (mostly shite), and the menu is huge which means 2 things, not everything is fresh and the service is slow. It has got an identity problem as well cause it seems like its trying to be a restaurant but the food is not up to scratch. The portions are huge as well and they do that cheesy middle Eastern thing where you get a shit garnish of some sort of cut up tomato/cucumber/lettuce thing

I've ordered it as a delivery as well through uber eats or just eat, don't remember which, and it didn't translate well to a takeaway, everything was just mushy and tasted of tahini

I really like Enfes. Quality food and good service. Quite like the Efes pils too.

Beirut Lounge on Heaton road in Newcastle is well worth the trip. I've had loads of Lebanese food and it's the best I've ever had. BYO booze too.

It's weird arabesque, the food seems quite authentic, as in authentically like a cafe type place you'd actually eat in in the middle East (mostly shite), and the menu is huge which means 2 things, not everything is fresh and the service is slow. It has got an identity problem as well cause it seems like its trying to be a restaurant but the food is not up to scratch. The portions are huge as well and they do that cheesy middle Eastern thing where you get a shit garnish of some sort of cut up tomato/cucumber/lettuce thing

I've ordered it as a delivery as well through uber eats or just eat, don't remember which, and it didn't translate well to a takeaway, everything was just mushy and tasted of tahini
It's up for sale too.

I tried a takeaway from them not long after it opened after having a decent experience in the restaurant. It was an absolute piss take, about four playing dice sized lumps of chicken, a naan drier than ghandi's flip flop and a tiny stingy portion of sauce. It cost over a tenner and would have had Karen Carpenter reaching for the desert menu. Never went back again since.

Back