Middle Eastern Restauraunt Food in Sunderland

Marty Moose

Striker
Which is better for middle eastern style mixed grills Arabesque or Enfes? Bare in mind I am a right greedy knacker so portion size comes into play anarl.

haven't been to arabesque for years but i remember the mousaka was absolutely ginormous and lovely.

Enfes is class too. think we got some sort mixed platter and struggled to finish it. although that is turkish, not really middle eastern

Both were shite when I went. Effes was cafe style and the food reflected that. Arabesque was about the same quality of food but trying to be a proper restaurant. I’d go back to Effes if I had to of the two.

there’s another place on Vine Place i’ve been meaning to try, but the name escapes me at the moment
Shndiz is it? I've looked at there but the menu didn't really grab me, and it looked more like a cafe.

We are short changed here for that type of food, you can't move for it in Newcastle or Durham.

There's a one on Westgate road through Newcastle that is top notch, sitty in, good value take away/cafe style and the food is incredible. Cant remember the name of it it's on the left as you drive away from the centre not far past the top of the bank. Wish there was somewhere like that in Sunderland. Proper Persian food. Shawarmas are mint

When I looked at the mixed grill on the menu it looked a little paltry like, 2 skewers of meat or something and that was your whack. I want to eat my own bodyweight in dead animal.
I can only suggest that you try it in person Marra.
I have never had a bad meal there.
The lamb chops are to die for by the way.

Had delivery food from Shandiz, got a large metal "staple" in one piece of chicken, luckily I found it with cutlery rather than my mouth/digestive system. Never been back.

Other than that the food was ok.

Went to enfes over Christmas and really enjoyed it.. got liver to start ( Albanian it said on the menu) and it was like a main.. mixed grill was tasty and couldn't eat it all so would recommend based on the one time I've been...

Both were shite when I went. Effes was cafe style and the food reflected that. Arabesque was about the same quality of food but trying to be a proper restaurant. I’d go back to Effes if I had to of the two.
You’d eat that type of bait from cafes and shit houses in the Middle East, so why because in Sunderland should it be different? Feels wrong sitting eating that type of bait in a swanky restaurant.

Just back from Turkey, kebabs were best from the manky places....Mmmmm!

Back