Microsoft twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

And now the wife's (no) laptop, which is a relatively new Dell i7 with nothing custom and hardly anything loaded on it, Windows 10 preloaded when it was built before sale, nothing has happened apart from some new Windows 10 updates, and it's ground to a halt. Switched on 20 minutes ago, still warming up, task manager almost didn't load and when it did the disk is at 99% and not responding.

But apparently this is a really terrific OS.

Oh look, more f***ing updates. Over an hour now and counting

Last edited:
On their profile it says "We're on a mission to empower every person and organisation on the planet to achieve more." You going to buy everyone a f***ing Mac, then, you f***ing spunktrumpets?
Said noone ever in the last 30 years because Microsoft has utterly dominated desktop OSs
For puffs and lasses

And now the wife's (no) laptop, which is a relatively new Dell i7 with nothing custom and hardly anything loaded on it, Windows 10 preloaded when it was built before sale, nothing has happened apart from some new Windows 10 updates, and it's ground to a halt. Switched on 20 minutes ago, still warming up, task manager almost didn't load and when it did the disk is at 99% and not responding.

But apparently this is a really terrific OS.

Oh look, more f***ing updates. Over an hour now and counting
You can turn updates off (sort of). Set your network connection to metered.

Also, if you don't need all the fluffy crapware (Edge, Cortana, etc) and don't mind either reinstalling every six months or ignoring a bit of nagging thereafter, you can download a trial of Windows 10 LTSB. That's intended to be super stable at the expense of "unnecessary" features and updates (read the link) Also, being part of the Enterprise branch, you get useful extra stuff like Windows To Go and App-v.

You can turn updates off (sort of). Set your network connection to metered.

Also, if you don't need all the fluffy crapware (Edge, Cortana, etc) and don't mind either reinstalling every six months or ignoring a bit of nagging thereafter, you can download a trial of Windows 10 LTSB. That's intended to be super stable at the expense of "unnecessary" features and updates (read the link) Also, being part of the Enterprise branch, you get useful extra stuff like Windows To Go and App-v.

That does feel a little like you bought a ship but it's infested with arsehole-shaped bugs so let's build a little shelter in one of the f***ing lifeboats

That does feel a little like you bought a ship but it's infested with arsehole-shaped bugs so let's build a little shelter in one of the f***ing lifeboats
Yes Windows 10 should be more reliable. I'm just pointing out that there are options to avoid the arsehole shaped bugs while exchanging crapware for useful stuff.

Oh yeah trying to get technical support off them for free is not gonna end well. You need a support contract and you need to use incidents to get support, its their business model. Best bet for that is to hope someone trying to get a job or an mvp spots your post and responds, noone from inside MS is gonna do it. Support guys do have to write a number of technet articles a quarter so they might create something in response but wont actively engage with people for free.

The personal one or the professional version? Its basically just a sharepoint library, the personal free one can be a bit minging for anything other than using to back up pictures on your phone or using as a sync point for your own documents so you can sync them up and down. But I find it entirely satisfactory for doing that. What are you trying to use it for?
On the other hand, I've had fantastic free tech support from Apple via web chat and phone.

Yes Windows 10 should be more reliable. I'm just pointing out that there are options to avoid the arsehole shaped bugs while exchanging crapware for useful stuff.

Sorry, I appreciate the thought and the options. I don't think that trial versions of software with additional reinstalls and suchlike will fly with my wife. What I've also found is that any workaround available now is often killed off by the next round of updates. For me personally I've just had it, and I'm moving over to the dark side

Sorry, I appreciate the thought and the options. I don't think that trial versions of software with additional reinstalls and suchlike will fly with my wife. What I've also found is that any workaround available now is often killed off by the next round of updates. For me personally I've just had it, and I'm moving over to the dark side

If you're sensible you already use portable apps, and a container technology (like app-v) for anything you need that isn't readily available in portable form. So virtually nothing gets installed into your OS any more.

Which means it's piss easy to reinstall, whether every 6 months to dodge a trial expiry, or just every so often as a FTF, or in case of disaster. Makes things easy to backup too. Just backup your portable apps folder. Done.

Just saying.

On the other hand, I've had fantastic free tech support from Apple via web chat and phone.

Oh you can get that level of support on Microsoft's own devices too - surface, xbox, etc.

I was talking about business level support and support of OS on OEM or home built devices.

Obviously its very easy for MS or Apple to support something running on hardware they design and software and drivers all for their own gear with their own configurations. Its when people expect free support when they might have installed the OS on any hardware combination that they will hit a wall. Just looking at the number of possible options of processor and memory in a desktop PC would be ample reason why but then you see every manufacturer of graphics cards, usb hubs, keyboards, monitors, printers, touchscreens, etc all having their own driver set. Then all this stuff could be running on anything from a chinese built tablet, german built cars or a scottish built nuclear submarine.

Never had any issues with windows 10 (although I've always used the enterprise versions) on hundreds of PC's built at work. On a personal level i upgraded 4 win 7 PC's to win 10 home for me to use for matched betting. These are pretty shit machines (core2duo) and the upgrade went with no issues whatsoever - these machines are left on 24/7 and auto update for me.

In an enterprise setting microsoft pisses all over mac - its just the way it is - things like AD, exchange, SCCM might seem like boring apps but businesses couldn't really exist without them imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back