Microsoft Groove v Apple iTunes

Switched to MS Groove a few months ago. Lost about 80% of my tunes.

Kept telling Groove where they were but it wouldn't recognise the tracks.

Just installed the latest iTunes and all my music is back.

Who is to blame?

Who is to blame?

I've long suspected the various tech service providers of putting more effort into blocking each other's services than into doing what their customers are actually paying them to do.

Having said that, in this case you are to blame for thinking Microsoft Groove was a good idea, you silly sausage

Hasn't groove been left out to pasture by Microsoft?

The music pass has, the actual application has not. Its mainly aimed at integration with onedrive now but then its pretty much how all of windows 10 is headed.

Who is to blame?

If you are switching to groove the first thing to do is sync your entire media library to onedrive so groove would be looking here for it not in the old itunes location. If you are permanently dumping itunes you can just copy the entire library to the onedrive sync folder (obviously to leverage the main use of groove you need premium onedrive to increase the space to a usable level either paid for yourself or via an office 365 sub)
robocopy "%USERPROFILE%/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music" "%USERPROFILE%/OneDrive/Music/iTunes Library"
when you are then using groove on your pc/xbox/android phone/tablet/iphone/ipad/connected car stereo/internet enabled fridge and you sign in your music is there.

If you are hanging on to itunes and want everything in itunes new and old to automatically sync to onedrive you can junction the itunes folder into your onedrive folder just like you would any other folder you wanted to sync to the cloud:
mklink /J "%USERPROFILE%/OneDrive/Music/iTunes Library" "%USERPROFILE%/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music"

Last edited:
The music pass has, the actual application has not. Its mainly aimed at integration with onedrive now but then its pretty much how all of windows 10 is headed.

If you are switching to groove the first thing to do is sync your entire media library to onedrive so groove would be looking here for it not in the old itunes location. If you are permanently dumping itunes you can just copy the entire library to the onedrive sync folder (obviously to leverage the main use of groove you need premium onedrive to increase the space to a usable level either paid for yourself or via an office 365 sub)
robocopy "%USERPROFILE%/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music" "%USERPROFILE%/OneDrive/Music/iTunes Library"
when you are then using groove on your pc/xbox/android phone/tablet/iphone/ipad/connected car stereo/internet enabled fridge and you sign in your music is there.

If you are hanging on to itunes and want everything in itunes new and old to automatically sync to onedrive you can junction the itunes folder into your onedrive folder just like you would any other folder you wanted to sync to the cloud:
mklink /J "%USERPROFILE%/OneDrive/Music/iTunes Library" "%USERPROFILE%/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music"
Or I could just junk Groove and re-install iTunes. Which I did.

Less faff. No tears.

Or I could just junk Groove and re-install iTunes. Which I did.

Less faff. No tears.

Fair enough, if most of your stuff comes from itunes it's a solution that works, i prefer groove for cross platform and because I can use the junction link to link in amazon/spotify/itunes/google music/etc downloads all into one app without moving files about or having to configure anything on the devices using the same library

Fair enough, if most of your stuff comes from itunes it's a solution that works, i prefer groove for cross platform and because I can use the junction link to link in amazon/spotify/itunes/google music/etc downloads all into one app without moving files about or having to configure anything on the devices using the same library
Me, I just want to listen to chunes.

itunes is a piece of shit as well - just f***ing randomly changes my artwork for the version apple thinks is best - the f***ing twats :mad::mad:

and dont get me started on replacing songs with swear words in for their "safe" versions - arseholes :mad::mad:

I hate both MS and Apple so use neither. When my old, unsupported, desk top jukebox app crashed a few months ago I looked around for another free one. They were all crap so I ended up paying for AlbumPlayer which is fine.

Back