Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

May have to give this a download.

I used to love combat flight stimulator be like over 14 years old since it came out after the first flight simulator but was brilliant.

May have to give this a download.

I used to love combat flight stimulator be like over 14 years old since it came out after the first flight simulator but was brilliant.

It's a stunning game and it's free with Xbox game pass. It's still quite buggy but getting better with every update

I'm still in the Cessna 172 but gradually removing the assistance
Took Jermain for some sightseeing -

Last edited by a moderator:
Still not sure what to make of it. It seems they released it 6-12 months too soon, and that we're all paying beta testers at the moment.

That said, te scenery is breathtaking and incredibly accurate - I've revisited places I know all over the world. But none of the planes seem to be up to scratch yet. The 747 is probably the worst - not worth even trying at the moment. The autopilot is temperamental, and will work perfectly on one flight before pitching you into the ground on the next. The ILS works at some airports, but lines you up with phantom runways at others.

However, everything's slowly improving with each patch, and the A320 NEO is steadily being transformed into a study level aircraft by a volunteer team of real-life Airbus pilots. The latest version is well worth downloading: https://flybywiresim.com/a32nx

There's also an A320 pilot putting out instructional videos on YouTube. Really useful for getting the best out of that aircraft, given the lack of instructional info from Microsoft.

Still not sure what to make of it. It seems they released it 6-12 months too soon, and that we're all paying beta testers at the moment.

That said, te scenery is breathtaking and incredibly accurate - I've revisited places I know all over the world. But none of the planes seem to be up to scratch yet. The 747 is probably the worst - not worth even trying at the moment. The autopilot is temperamental, and will work perfectly on one flight before pitching you into the ground on the next. The ILS works at some airports, but lines you up with phantom runways at others.

However, everything's slowly improving with each patch, and the A320 NEO is steadily being transformed into a study level aircraft by a volunteer team of real-life Airbus pilots. The latest version is well worth downloading: https://flybywiresim.com/a32nx

There's also an A320 pilot putting out instructional videos on YouTube. Really useful for getting the best out of that aircraft, given the lack of instructional info from Microsoft.

I agree, the two patches before the one released this week put me off it for a few weeks, but they've fixed the faults introduced in this latest patch.
I think I'll try that NEO mod, I've only flown that a few times. I've mainly been in the TBM, as that was the best until the 2nd to last patch where they fucked up the autopilot. It still doesn't work properly for me now, the AP was failing to engage this morning.

I’ve never understood the appeal of these games but the passion for them on this thread has got me interested to give the latest a whirl

I agree, the two patches before the one released this week put me off it for a few weeks, but they've fixed the faults introduced in this latest patch.
I think I'll try that NEO mod, I've only flown that a few times. I've mainly been in the TBM, as that was the best until the 2nd to last patch where they fucked up the autopilot. It still doesn't work properly for me now, the AP was failing to engage this morning.

I've also mainly been using the TBM, primarily in southern Africa for VFR flights. So far the mods to the A320 haven't touched the autopilot, but they have added functionality to a lot of the systems (even the cockpit door video camera now works) and have enhanced the sounds (you can hear the nosewheel hitting the centre lights on the runway).

The best all-round site I've found for add-ons is here: Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 Addons / Mods | FS2020 Addons / Mods
I’ve never understood the appeal of these games but the passion for them on this thread has got me interested to give the latest a whirl

I've loved aviation since I was a kid, and I travel a lot. Flight simulation combines those two passions in one.

If you come to it from a gaming background it'll probably wear thin very quickly. It's more akin to a hobby than a game.

Last edited:
I still haven’t been able to get on this since I’m on a beta version of windows, need to wait for the October update :rolleyes:
...whether it’ll ever run on my 8 year old iMac is very doubtful though :lol:

This (below) is now the best site for freeware add-ons. The first planes are now appearing (inc a perfectly decent CRJ) and plenty of scenery. The Nepal and New Zealand airports are up to payware spec.

My mate runs a company that sells videos to people looking to understand how to play simulator stuff.

I don’t get it myself, but he’s minted from it.

This (below) is now the best site for freeware add-ons. The first planes are now appearing (inc a perfectly decent CRJ) and plenty of scenery. The Nepal and New Zealand airports are up to payware spec.

Thanks for that

I'll stick with the default aircraft while I'm learning. I'm currently learning my way through the TBM 930, IFR, ILS and using approach charts

This is my first sim and I've never been off it - it's an unreal bit of kit if you're willing to put the learning hours in

This is my first sim and I've never been off it - it's an unreal bit of kit if you're willing to put the learning hours in

It's still got lots of problems, especially with the autopilots for various planes, but it is rewarding. I've often sat in the jump seat for landings around the world, and it's great to do so knowing what all the buttons and screens do and mean. (Though in Venezuela a few years back I realised that our fuel burn would use up the tank before we got to our destination. I summoned up the courage to point it out to the pilot, who just shrugged and said the reserve tank was full but its gauge wasn't working.)

It's still got lots of problems, especially with the autopilots for various planes, but it is rewarding. I've often sat in the jump seat for landings around the world, and it's great to do so knowing what all the buttons and screens do and mean. (Though in Venezuela a few years back I realised that our fuel burn would use up the tank before we got to our destination. I summoned up the courage to point it out to the pilot, who just shrugged and said the reserve tank was full but its gauge wasn't working.)

As we speak I've just lost the control of my mouse so no ATC.... It's annoying but the plusses massively outweigh the negatives

As we speak I've just lost the control of my mouse so no ATC.... It's annoying but the plusses massively outweigh the negatives

I've had two days of the game crashing to desktop when I'm on approach. I still think it's basically at the Beta stage. But when scenery, weather, and flight model all come together it's the next best thing to being there.

Back