Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

What happened to the combat simulators you used to get?

F117a used to be a favourite years ago
Its getting on a bit but arma 3 is the go to combat sim

Logon or register to see this image

Just finished the download and had a fly around sunderland, I put it on ultra but havent fiddled with the settings yet.

the sol looks a bit crap, i was expecting allot better graphics to be honest.

Most cities are generic, but some have been modelled accurately. In UK, only Southampton and Portsmouth have had that treatment. I know Southampton pretty well - from the videos I've seen, it's accurate down to the last house.

I'm currently looking at laptops that'll make it worth my while downloading the simulator. Will have to wait until I get back off holiday next week before setting the wheels in motion.
Son has bought the latest Dell Alienware Area 51 and it runs the game on its highest settings with no bother

Son has bought the latest Dell Alienware Area 51 and it runs the game on its highest settings with no bother

After deciding not to upgrade my laptop, then deciding to upgrade it but to wait until next week, I took delivery on Friday. Never thought I'd buy a Lenovo, but it was a decent spec at a good price - easily the cheapest machine I found with an RTX 2060 GPU. The laptop has to double for work, so I was always limited in what I could go for. However, it's coping with the demands of the Flight Sim without problem. I've even managed to push the sliders up to max and maintain reasonable fps, though the fans were working overtime.

On the whole, the sim is great - once I got it downloaded. Apparently there's an imminent patch to sort out downloading and installation issues. There are some weird teething problems, though. The runway Southampton Airport this morning had developed ridges so you couldn't take off or land. Also, all my premium content was inaccessible last night and this morning, and then magically reappeared.

My main limitation is Internet speed. I times I'm getting 2mbs. Not enough to make the most of major cities.
Its getting on a bit but arma 3 is the go to combat sim

Logon or register to see this image

Just finished the download and had a fly around sunderland, I put it on ultra but havent fiddled with the settings yet.

the sol looks a bit crap, i was expecting allot better graphics to be honest.

Try Southampton and Portsmouth. Those are the two UK cities so far that have been rendered using street view. The rest use AI to recreate the buildings, which can be hit or miss. I live in a bungalow in the middle of the countryside - it's rendered as a block of flats. They're promising to keep developing the graphics for the next ten years, so it will improve.

Last edited:
What happened to the combat simulators you used to get?

F117a used to be a favourite years ago
I'd love an xbox combat simulator. Not one with a million buttons and switches where automatic weapons do everything from range. A dog fight in a tiger moth or spitfire would be great.

Anyone know of one? (I may have asked earlier in the thread, but that was more than 10 minutes ago so I have forgot)

Played this for a week and I'm bored of it now. . As mentioned earlier in the thread, it's big problem is that when you're not landing or taking off there's not much to do, you're basically looking out the window at Google Earth. Landings and taking offs are all the same too once you know how to do them. I Haven't mastered the ILS landing, but I've watched a video and now I have no intention of doing so, it's just a fiddly chore for little reward.

It is quite impressive that there's real weather and traffic and the whole earth is on, but for me that novelty has already lost it's sparkle.

Pleased I just spent a quid on game pass and didn't splurge on a full purchase.

Last edited:
Played this for a week and I'm bored of it now. . As mentioned earlier in the thread, it's big problem is that when you're not landing or taking off there's not much to do, you're basically looking out the window at Google Earth. Landings and taking offs are all the same too once you know how to do them. I Haven't mastered the ILS landing, but I've watched a video and now I have no intention of doing so, it's just a fiddly chore for little reward.

It is quite impressive that there's real weather and traffic and the whole earth is on, but for me that novelty has already lost it's sparkle.

Pleased I just spent a quid on game pass and didn't splurge on a full purchase.

Get in a GA plane, get some windy weather and turbulence going and navigate by VFR (sight/maps) from Newcastle to say, Leeds Bradford or Teesside or Manchester and you'll see a challenge. Joining a Virtual Airline and/or playing online gives the game some purpose too.

Get in a GA plane, get some windy weather and turbulence going and navigate by VFR (sight/maps) from Newcastle to say, Leeds Bradford or Teesside or Manchester and you'll see a challenge. Joining a Virtual Airline and/or playing online gives the game some purpose too.
Never thought of that, but I've uninstalled it and I'm not going to put it back on now. I'm pleased I spent a quid on it to see it, but it's not for me.

Was beginning to feel short-changed after my first few flights. But today I've had time to adjust the settings, and discovered that the live data streaming was switched off. Switched it on - what a difference.

The UK had been fine without, but Africa didn't look that special. But with data streaming it's incredible, right down to dirt roads and individual mud huts. I should have been back there this year - until Covid put a spanner in the works. This is the next best thing.

Surely you could be serving the passengers some nuts or something

I've got the game pass version and I think it's class.

How do you get training on aircraft other than the Cessna 152?

The last version of Flight Simulator I owned was 2004. Own a Mac now so cannot get it for that. Got bored with it after a while though, although I did manage to download the Airwolf mod, flew a few flights in her. 😎

DCS World is a good alternative if you prefer military combat sims.

Back