Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

Once took off from Newcastle, stayed very very low for a good 20 minutes, about 2 mile off the coast going South, so low that at Hpool went straight over our house/cars n you could pick them out!
If you scroll to around 20 minutes in on this video you'll see the stadium of light from the Skies. This fella takes off from Newcastle, flies along the North East coast and lands at Durham Tees Valley.

The controls required to operate your plane on the simulator are mental and it takes up an unreal amount of storage to run it but it's great for youtube videos. :lol:

29.15 throston golf course/quarry!

Last edited:

it gets even better. You can turn on 'live traffic' and as he's preparing to land (around 29 mins) he finds a couple of planes which he searches for on the flight tracker on his phone. One of them is a plane flying to London and one of them is KLM to Amsterdam. Planes that are actually in the sky.
Bloody hell - that’s amazing!

Son has just installed it on his new laptop - says it’s amazing

How difficult is it? On most of the youtube videos, the 'youtuber' makes reference to the fact that you don't need flight experience or knowledge and it's easy enough to pick up as a novice then you watch videos like the one in the OP and he's turning things on/off and seems to know what he's doing :lol:

Son has learnt himself off You Tube and reckons he could land a plane in an emergency 😂
He says that lessons are included within the game which would make it pretty easy to follow

How difficult is it? On most of the youtube videos, the 'youtuber' makes reference to the fact that you don't need flight experience or knowledge and it's easy enough to pick up as a novice then you watch videos like the one in the OP and he's turning things on/off and seems to know what he's doing :lol:

I think you should give it a go

One of them in the past had missions like drop people off at their oil rig and stuff. I think it would be better if you could shoot and bomb things.

they'd certainly get a few sales from football fans with plenty of stadiums targetted.

Curiosity got the better of me and I got this on Game Pass.
Early Observations

Took all night to download
Looks quite nice, although when you get close up to buildings they are not the actual building that's there but just generic buildings
It's fairly easy to take off in a little plane and keep it in the sky, haven't tried landing yet
There's no explosion or anything when you crash, it just goes black and says you've crashed
There's not much to do when you're in the sky
There's loads of buttons and switches, navigation things to learn
I've done a loop the loop but some planes don't like it and you die.

Last edited:
Looks quite nice, although when you get close up to buildings they are not the actual building that's there but just generic buildings

Most cities are generic, but some have been modelled accurately. In UK, only Southampton and Portsmouth have had that treatment. I know Southampton pretty well - from the videos I've seen, it's accurate down to the last house.

I'm currently looking at laptops that'll make it worth my while downloading the simulator. Will have to wait until I get back off holiday next week before setting the wheels in motion.

Most cities are generic, but some have been modelled accurately. In UK, only Southampton and Portsmouth have had that treatment. I know Southampton pretty well - from the videos I've seen, it's accurate down to the last house.

I'm currently looking at laptops that'll make it worth my while downloading the simulator. Will have to wait until I get back off holiday next week before setting the wheels in motion.
Mine runs happily on high settings with a 1660ti & Ryzen 4800 and I usually get about 26GB Internet. The fans are going for it but they do that with most games. Internet is not essential to fly about.

Last edited:
Mine runs happily on high settings with a 1660ti & Ryzen 4800 and I usually get about 26GB Internet. The fans are going for it but they do that with most games. Internet is not essential to fly about.

I'm looking at an MSI with Ryzen 5 4600 and a Radeon RX5500M. Seems to be a good value combination with decent performance. But also tempted by the Acer Nitro i7-9750h with GTX1650, which currently has £200 lopped off it on the Acer website. I can't justify a purely gaming machine; anything I get will also have to travel the world with me (if that aspect of my job ever gets going again), so need something thin, light, and not too valuable.

Back