Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

One if my workmates has paid for his lad to do pilot training. In excess of £100k for the course which iirc is 2 years. First 9 months theory at a flight school at Brussels airport, when he passes that he goes to Arizona for the practical.

His theory has been disrupted because of Covid but it’s seriously intense, 9 hour days and 4 hours of online tutorial each night, 6 days/week. Fail it and you are out

Not necessarily. You will learn some theory things but the actual flying is not comparable. Given that the theory stuff is taught on the ground mainly it would be argued that using the time you have spent playing kids computer games would have been much more beneficial doing ground school and actual learning.
Bullshit, I know pilots that have practiced landings in Microsoft flight sim before performing them in real life.
Cost. Time on the full-cockpit simulators is very expensive; on a PC it's very cheap. The PCs are very good for learning how to use the flight management system and other instruments. It means they go into the full-cockpit simulator already familiar with the basics.

That would be stupid. A PC simulator is a useful training tool, but it doesn't replace hands-on experience.
Next he’ll be saying formula one drivers are wasting their time on the simulator too :D

Last edited:
Of course you do.
Why wouldn't @lurker know real life pilots who practice landings in PC simulators, especially if they're flying to airports that they have never flown to before, in particular the airports that are known to be a bit tricky for various reason.
One of my friends does exactly this and streams on Twitch, mostly flying the FSL's A320 as thats the type he currently flies. I cannot say who his employer is (other than he's from Germany) as he whats to keep this private, he has some interesting stories to tell the few times I've met him and his wife when they've been in the UK on holiday.

Why wouldn't @lurker know real life pilots who practice landings in PC simulators, especially if they're flying to airports that they have never flown to before, in particular the airports that are known to be a bit tricky for various reason.
One of my friends does exactly this and streams on Twitch, mostly flying the FSL's A320 as thats the type he currently flies. I cannot say who his employer is (other than he's from Germany) as he whats to keep this private, he has some interesting stories to tell the few times I've met him and his wife when they've been in the UK on holiday.

No it’s fine, the SMBs foremost voice on aviation matters knows best :D

Surely there is only one simulator worth buying?

I just watched the trailer, it looks quite good.

Surely there is only one simulator worth buying?

Wad

I had the discs ordered, due for delivery today. Got an email from Amazon to say they 'couldn't source the product' and advised me to cancel my order. So decided to get the download. Like most people, it seems, I'm only getting a download speed of 3-4GB per hour. The full thing is 90GB. It's going to be a while....

I had the discs ordered, due for delivery today. Got an email from Amazon to say they 'couldn't source the product' and advised me to cancel my order. So decided to get the download. Like most people, it seems, I'm only getting a download speed of 3-4GB per hour. The full thing is 90GB. It's going to be a while....
Just sit back and look out the window. It will be good practice for that Airbus 320 flight from Heathrow to the US West Coast. ;)

The installation process has been a joke, had to download it twice now due to it crashing during the first download and one of the package files subsequently corrupting. It has taken near enough 24 hours of my PC being on to download.

Back