Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

I'll bet that kids are overwhelmingly outnumbered by adults on FlightSim.

A few years ago I went to EgyptAir's flight training school in Cairo. The training there started on Microsoft Flight Simulator before progressing into actual full-cockpit simulators and then onto real planes. A PC simulator replicates the instruments and flight systems accurately. It's not a substitute for the multi-million pound simulators or actual flying, but it's now comparable to - or better than - the simulator training pilots were getting twenty or thirty years ago. So no, this is not a 'kids' computer game'. It's a genuine simulator.

Why don’t the CAA and their counterparts do away with the PPL and ATPL qualifications then? Might as well just play a computer game then dish out a licence and rating.

It’s a computer game, sorry if that has burst your bubble of being a pilot.

I'll bet that kids are overwhelmingly outnumbered by adults on FlightSim.

A few years ago I went to EgyptAir's flight training school in Cairo. The training there started on Microsoft Flight Simulator before progressing into actual full-cockpit simulators and then onto real planes. A PC simulator replicates the instruments and flight systems accurately. It's not a substitute for the multi-million pound simulators or actual flying, but it's now comparable to - or better than - the simulator training pilots were getting twenty or thirty years ago. So no, this is not a 'kids' computer game'. It's a genuine simulator.
Why would you put candidates on a pc game when you have simulators available? And as for real flying the feedback you get from the aircraft simply cannot be recreated on a pc.

Why would you put candidates on a pc game when you have simulators available? And as for real flying the feedback you get from the aircraft simply cannot be recreated on a pc.

Cost. Time on the full-cockpit simulators is very expensive; on a PC it's very cheap. The PCs are very good for learning how to use the flight management system and other instruments. It means they go into the full-cockpit simulator already familiar with the basics.
Why don’t the CAA and their counterparts do away with the PPL and ATPL qualifications then? Might as well just play a computer game then dish out a licence and rating.

It’s a computer game, sorry if that has burst your bubble of being a pilot.

That would be stupid. A PC simulator is a useful training tool, but it doesn't replace hands-on experience.

Last edited:
He might be with Virgin. I am and I get 410 mbps (I only pay for 360 mbps like, but it spits out more as I'm the only one in the area with it).
Wow, I thought you had to live in Korea for that sort of speed. How much does that cost if you don't mind me asking ?

Wow, I thought you had to live in Korea for that sort of speed. How much does that cost if you don't mind me asking ?

£39 a month, with a basic TV package and free evening and weekend calls (admittedly I don't watch TV or have the phone plugged in though).

They probably should have saved their selves a few quid and bought a few old copies of COD. :rolleyes:

Virtual training is the future.

Cost. Time on the full-cockpit simulators is very expensive; on a PC it's very cheap. The PCs are very good for learning how to use the flight management system and other instruments. It means they go into the full-cockpit simulator already familiar with the basics.

That would be stupid. A PC simulator is a useful training tool, but it doesn't replace hands-on experience.

I know that if you have the correct set up, X Plane 11 can be used to gain the hours towards a PPL, once it has been certified by the FAA (I know it's the rules in the USA, I don't know whether the CAA would be similar).

They probably should have saved their selves a few quid and bought a few old copies of COD. :rolleyes:

Virtual training is the future.

Some of the digital training aids can be useful, it can save a lot of money and a lot of the time used to organise and conduct physical training.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you just take off, hoy the autopilot on and then stare out of the cockpit at the sky for eight hours? It's not like you're going to get engaged in a dogfight with the red baron or owt
Thats what it looks like to me.

I had a flight game I loved as a kid in the 90s, flying missions in a tiger moth, take off, shoot some enemy stuff, have a few dog fights and land. I’ve not really touched computer games since until recently and went looking for a similar flight game. They are all about simulating being an airline pilot or simulating flying radio control planes. The very few fighting ones all seem to be highly advanced planes with pretty much automatic weapons. I just don’t see the appeal.

It feels like getting a driving game and spending 2.5 hours doing the A1 between Peterborough and Wetherby.

Back