Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

Do you just take off, hoy the autopilot on and then stare out of the cockpit at the sky for eight hours? It's not like you're going to get engaged in a dogfight with the red baron or owt

It wouldn’t be much of a battle, you could probably take him out with your nose cone.

I'm an Tech Alpha tester for MSFS, people will be very surprised that you don't need a NASA PC to run it smoothly, most we'll get decent FPS. I can't say too much at the minute because I'm still bound by the NDA.

Theres footage on YouTube now, does the NDA still apply even though it has moved further along in the beta stage?

I signed up for it the other month and sent in the dxdiag with my specs, but wasn't contacted. They probably had too many people with RTX 2080's I'm guessing.
It’d be good if they put passenger feedback in so you could do rolls and stuff and hear them screaming and praying like fuck.

There was a mod for FSX that used to have that sort of thing in.

Do you just take off, hoy the autopilot on and then stare out of the cockpit at the sky for eight hours? It's not like you're going to get engaged in a dogfight with the red baron or owt
Could be me mind playing tricks but I'm sure you could be the Red Baron on FlightSim2000. :lol:

I used to 'skew' the majority of the flight, which would inevitably gan wrong.

Theres footage on YouTube now, does the NDA still apply even though it has moved further along in the beta stage?

I signed up for it the other month and sent in the dxdiag with my specs, but wasn't contacted. They probably had too many people with RTX 2080's I'm guessing.

There was a mod for FSX that used to have that sort of thing in.
The NDA still applies to the Alpha/Beta testers but Youtubers/Twitch/ news outlets can talk about the sim now as their NDA has been lifted, we have been warned that our NDA is not lifted yet, I have a decent computer but my weak point is my 1070, I'm waiting for the 30** series of GPU, The sim is perfectly playable with a GTX1070 with nearly maxed out settings at 1080p, but I can't comment on my FPS yet.

But I can say that I currently have a Ryzen 3800x 32GB Ram and 1070 with internet at 110 Mbps but I can't say much else at the moment.

Last edited:
The NDA still applies to the Alpha/Beta testers but Youtubers/Twitch/ news outlets can talk about the sim now as their NDA has been lifted, we have been warned that our NDA is not lifted yet, I have a decent computer but my weak point is my 1070, I'm waiting for the 30** series of GPU, The sim is perfectly playable with a GTX1070 with nearly maxed out settings at 1080p, but I can't comment on my FPS yet.

But I can say that I currently have a Ryzen 3800x 32GB Ram and 1070 with internet at 110 Mbps but I can't say much else at the moment.
110Mbps ? How do you get that ?

Excellent, I've got an RTX 2020, i7 9700k and 32GB of RAM so think I'll be alright. Only sticking point is my net is 25mbps but that can't get any better.

Out on 18th August. I've had every version since 1982. This looks like a massive leap forward.

wow, that's breathtaking. I'm amazed.
Last time I saw this game was about 1990.
You missed out shagging the cabin crew in the hotel at the destination.

How do people ever get enough time to play on Play Stations as adults? I've hardly got time to sit down and read, something I love doing, but I find myself with less and less time to do it. Playing computer games no longer appeals to me as an adult, but I get that it does for others. Even if it did I'd find it too addictive and it would just eat into the time I need to do real word stuff.
My recent experience is exactly this.

Last edited:
It's applying all the knowledge and navigation needed to get from A to B. There's a lot of satisfaction in doing everything properly, then seeing your destination runway perfectly lined up 10 miles ahead of you then landing just as you would in real life. Takes quite a bit of dedication to be good enough to replicate everything as it is in real life, and a lot of it transferable to the real world, could definitely get a Private Pilots Licence a lot easier than someone who's never used Flight Sim properly.

Not necessarily. You will learn some theory things but the actual flying is not comparable. Given that the theory stuff is taught on the ground mainly it would be argued that using the time you have spent playing kids computer games would have been much more beneficial doing ground school and actual learning.

Not necessarily. You will learn some theory things but the actual flying is not comparable. Given that the theory stuff is taught on the ground mainly it would be argued that using the time you have spent playing kids computer games would have been much more beneficial doing ground school and actual learning.

I'll bet that kids are overwhelmingly outnumbered by adults on FlightSim.

A few years ago I went to EgyptAir's flight training school in Cairo. The training there started on Microsoft Flight Simulator before progressing into actual full-cockpit simulators and then onto real planes. A PC simulator replicates the instruments and flight systems accurately. It's not a substitute for the multi-million pound simulators or actual flying, but it's now comparable to - or better than - the simulator training pilots were getting twenty or thirty years ago. So no, this is not a 'kids' computer game'. It's a genuine simulator.

For those who don't get the attraction, that's what it's all about. You are genuinely learning how to fly. It takes time and effort to take off and land safely. Once you manage it, though, there's a sense of accomplishment.
How do you know what to do to take off ? The last time I played one of these I never worked out how to move the plane.

How do you know what to do to take off ? The last time I played one of these I never worked out how to move the plane.

The new version will include scenarios with step-by-step instructions.

Otherwise, you can choose to start with the plane ready to go on the runway, or 'cold and dark' on the apron. If you go for the latter, there's a lot to do just to get the plane started. If you start on the runway, everything you need is on your keyboard.

It has to be regarded more as a hobby than a game. As with real flying, you have to put in the hours.

Back