Microsoft Excel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buy the dummies book or similar and learn it. Can be done in a couple of days. Tell any potential employer you have extensive knowledge and then use the internet to find solutions in excel to work they give you. It's what programmers do so why not excel people too.
This

I'm self taught with it. At my old job I changed all of the reports so they could be done in excel to speed it up. Just pretty much sat there googling how to do certain things with excel and stuff I never thought I'd be to comprehend I know off the top of my head now :lol:
Same mate, I'm pretty much an expert at this point. If you think there's a quicker way to do something there probably is and Mr Excel will have answered the question at some point.

Same mate, I'm pretty much an expert at this point. If you think there's a quicker way to do something there probably is and Mr Excel will have answered the question at some point.

I've had to teach the lad I work with now as they never used it until I came along. Just said to him that if there's something you wish excel can do, it probably can do

I haven't tried this one but it looks solid and probably a steal for €10 (limited time offer - 5 hours left at the price)

https://www.udemy.com/microsoft-excel-2013-from-beginner-to-advanced-and-beyond/

If you want to be really efficient in Excel, unplug your mouse. Most of the time it will just slow you down and there are key shortcuts for everything.

EDIT: Sorry, just now noticed you wanted a certification. There are some online Excel courses out there intended for Investment Banking where you will get a certificate. They are very expensive though and probably over the top.

Last edited:
www.google.com

The best way to learn is by trying to solve actual problems and there's always someone on the internet who's had the same problem as you. I'm also a fan of the ridiculously convoluted nested logic statement.

I'd say that 80% of excel features and functions aren't used by most people and that if you learn the 20% you would pick up the company specific functionality.

I thought that I was ok with it but then had to change some macros and although it wasn't difficult I realised how powerful excel can be. For instance I didn't realise that personal.xlsx opens up in the background of every workbook.

Every excel test I've done has ended up boiling down to, at the most, a pivot table, a vlookup, calculating a percentage, and being able to explain the data.

If you know how to do those, countifs, sumifs, and if statements you can probably do more than 99% of things you'll come across even if it's not necessarily the quickest way.

Excel isn't hard.
Love a good pivot table me. Hook it up to SQL server with power pivot and I'm happy for a week :oops::cool::lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back