Microsoft Excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelford_safc

Striker
Can anyone recommend any free or decent priced online excel courses that offer a qualification employers will recognise?

I've come across a few I've been interested in that have said extensive knowledge of excel essential. I'm not very good at it.
Buy the dummies book or similar and learn it. Can be done in a couple of days. Tell any potential employer you have extensive knowledge and then use the internet to find solutions in excel to work they give you. It's what programmers do so why not excel people too.

I went to an interview after saying I had excellent excel skills and they gave me a test in the interview. Couldn't even attempt it. Was canny embarrassing :lol:
Ha ha. Been there before. I put on my CV I was 'exposed to Agile methodology' which wasn't untrue except I had actually only had a 2hr overview session at the time and had learned a few terms but the bloke interviewing was a guru.

Er, that would be an ecumenical matter.

This is how I taught myself many moons ago.
Helps if you have problems you need solving as well so maybe create a home finances spreadsheet or something similar. You tend to learn quicker when you get stuck on something and need to find a solution.
I'm ok on excel but we are starting to use access a lot more at work. I've just purchased the "for dummies" access book to see if I can teach myself.

wouldn't waste your time. Most employers won't look for an excel qualification. You need to be an excel wizard at my place and I have no excel qualifications. I was asked to do a demonstration in my interview. That's the best way to find out if someone knows their stuff

wouldn't waste your time. Most employers won't look for an excel qualification. You need to be an excel wizard at my place and I have no excel qualifications. I was asked to do a demonstration in my interview. That's the best way to find out if someone knows their stuff
Every excel test I've done has ended up boiling down to, at the most, a pivot table, a vlookup, calculating a percentage, and being able to explain the data.

If you know how to do those, countifs, sumifs, and if statements you can probably do more than 99% of things you'll come across even if it's not necessarily the quickest way.

Excel isn't hard.

Ha ha. Been there before. I put on my CV I was 'exposed to Agile methodology' which wasn't untrue except I had actually only had a 2hr overview session at the time and had learned a few terms but the bloke interviewing was a guru.

Er, that would be an ecumenical matter.
"It's a religious cult occupied by man babies who refuse to grow up and squeal like toddlers until they are allowed to pretend that toys are an effective part of the development process."
Just in case you are asked again.*;)

*I realise that it can be effective in the right circumstances.

I'm ok on excel but we are starting to use access a lot more at work. I've just purchased the "for dummies" access book to see if I can teach myself.
I did exactly the same. Learnt Excel using Dummies guides, then moved onto the Access ones.
Ended up with quite a successful career in the software industry despite having no qualifications and Excel and Access were the starting points. This was over fifteen years ago so I guess the internet has far more accessible information, YouTube tutorials etc now but the Dummies guides were great for me.

Last edited:
Every excel test I've done has ended up boiling down to, at the most, a pivot table, a vlookup, calculating a percentage, and being able to explain the data.

If you know how to do those, countifs, sumifs, and if statements you can probably do more than 99% of things you'll come across even if it's not necessarily the quickest way.

Excel isn't hard.

I'm self taught with it. At my old job I changed all of the reports so they could be done in excel to speed it up. Just pretty much sat there googling how to do certain things with excel and stuff I never thought I'd be to comprehend I know off the top of my head now :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back