Mick Buckley. RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very sad. RIP Mick.
Looks like the long standing illness was alcoholism.

RIP Mick Buckley ...
I remember reading a couple of years ago that Peter Kay helped him go to the Sporting Chance Clinic , don't know what happened since then .

Not the kindest incident to recall but it raised a laugh at the time. Stood in the main stand paddock one day and we are well under the cosh. Mick, on the edge of his own penalty area and under pressure from a couple of opponents had a wild lash at the ball only to send it skywards. With the ball dropping into the danger zone, attackers closing in and his first touch about to come under scrutiny Mick went for the only sensible course of action. He took a small step backwards and yelled Staaaaaaaaaaaaaan! at the top of voice. :lol:

RIP Mick.

I watched him as kid in the Fulwell. You just don't expect people of that age to go. Surely there must be some support in the game in this age to help people with the drink

Absolutely this.

There's a tremendous amount of money in the game, where's the support network for ex-players like Mick?

Sad loss. He was playing for us around the time I got into football. I don't know if there's some sort of fund for ex players who hit bad times, but there damn well should be.

Mick was in the team when I first started reporting on Sunderland back in the late 70s. Smashing lad, quite quiet but always very helpful to a young reporter (as I was)....real gent. He was a neat, tidy player - very compact get-it-and-give-it style and he could pick a pass. Part of the side that tried to repair the damage done in the 76-77 relegation season... Siddall (or Turner), Clarke, Elliott, Arnott, Rowell, Cummins - some decent players and some happy days.

Most of those of us who have commented must be around the same age. Again, was playing during my first few years there too. RIP Mick.

always liked Mick as a player, always felt ok when he was in the team, a real 100% player, sorry to see this news RIP Mick

Mick was in the team when I first started reporting on Sunderland back in the late 70s. Smashing lad, quite quiet but always very helpful to a young reporter (as I was)....real gent. He was a neat, tidy player - very compact get-it-and-give-it style and he could pick a pass. Part of the side that tried to repair the damage done in the 76-77 relegation season... Siddall (or Turner), Clarke, Elliott, Arnott, Rowell, Cummins - some decent players and some happy days.
I watched them week in week out and in my mind there are some cracking players there. In reality I probably only remember them at their best.

Good footballer, hard working and generally kept it simple, a bit like Paul Bracewell.

The Daily Express 5 a-side has already been mentioned and Buckely revelled in the one touch skills needed for that.

Saw him play a few times as a kid, was also a bugger to get his Panini sticker one year, last one I got to complete the Sunderland team. Sad news.

A very good player for us in the Paul Bracewell mould. Sad to hear he'd fallen on hard times, would have been a multi-millionaire if he'd played 20 years later.

RIP.

Sad news.

I was at Maine Road in 82 when him and Super Ally notched in a 2-2 draw. He had a stormer that day.

RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back