Mick Buckley. RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scored the winner against Man City that kept us up on the final game of the season in 81/82 (or the following season!)

Yep, remember that as well. Possibly his best moment in our shirt.

I also remember being pleased and a little surprised when we bought him from Everton, he seemed to be well thought of there as well

Thought he was a cracking player here for about 4 years iirc.

Looked a bit portly by the time I saw his Beckham goal for the ressies. Must have been 1983. He stood in the middle and sprayed it around iirc

Then hoiked a hopeful effort over the keeper from 50 yards when he spotted him off his line. I thought it was the best goal I'd ever seen, but everyone else just thought it was lucky, (like Beckham ;))

I guess he was on the way out when I saw him, still looked talented, but rather unfit. Went to Boro after us I think?

Looked a bit portly by the time I saw his Beckham goal for the ressies. He stood in the middle and sprayed it around iirc

Then hoiked a hopeful effort over the keeper from 50 yards when he spotted him off his line. I thought it was the best goal I'd ever seen, but everyone else just thought it was lucky, (like Beckham ;))

I guess he was on the way out when I saw him, still looked talented, but rather unfit. Went to Boro after us I think?

As Keith said he was part of a half decent midfield that got us promoted. In effect took over from the players who were relegated in 77. I thought he was shorter than the photos look.

I have a feeling that he scored one of the goals that relegated us in 1976, he certainly played for Everton that day, but don't hold that against him. Jimmy Hill on the other hand !!!!!!
Read somewhere it was Latchford and Rioch, May 1977.

He was on the front of the Everton programme that day though.

Sad news indeed - remember him well R.I.P.
So do I and it is so ironic that in May went to Turkey with the missus, and we were sitting at dinner when I was approached by a lad from our appartments, and he asked if I was the Sunderalnd fan? When I said yes he told me, in his Manc accent that he was born in Cleadon Village and his dad played for us. of course it was Mick Buckley, and I told him I knew exactly which house he was born in, and that his dad would always be loved by those who were old enough to remeber watching him. He appreciated this and told me about his dad's drink problem with sadness, whilst telling me that his lass was pregnant, the only thing is that she was in the early stages in May and therefore Mick will not have been able to see his grand child. So sad and I feel for them all .... RIP Mick thanks for the memories.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back