Michigan Central Station Detroit

Once upon a time all American cars were built in Detriot (hence Mo'town, or Motortown).

Where are all the American cars built nowadays that has caused the downfall of Detroit? Despite huge imports of cars from Japan and Europe and foreign manufacturers probably having their own factories in the U.S. I believe US-built American brands are still in the majority.

Once upon a time all American cars were built in Detriot (hence Mo'town, or Motortown).

Where are all the American cars built nowadays that has caused the downfall of Detroit? Despite huge imports of cars from Japan and Europe and foreign manufacturers probably having their own factories in the U.S. I believe US-built American brands are still in the majority.

I've read the Wiki article on the decline of Detroit and it is quite complex. By no means just down to foreign competition.

Last edited:

I've read the Wiki article on the decline of Detroit and it is quite complex. By no means just down to foreign competition.

Apparently a lot of car production went to Canada hence lots of lovely new factories there but now it is cheaper to build in Mexico so the jobs have moved there. Capitalism has no loyalty.

Michigan Central Station - Old photos — Historic Detroit

Last edited:
Work is progressing despite the pandemic. Ford have had to pump out 227,000 gallons of water from the basement and then use 250 trucks of concrete to repair it. It was long rumoured that there were crocodiles down there.

Was talking to a bloke on the Disney bus who told me to make sure I called into Detroit one day at it's great now
Homes became so cheap that people started moving back. Lot of internet workers buying huge family houses for buttons as it doesn’t matter where they live.
I’ve nivver been but having read so many Elmore Leonard and Loren Estleman novels I feel like a native. Frank Murphy Hall Of Justice, Eight Mile Road, Grosse Point, The Birwood Wall, Wayne County Circuit Court, Detroit Free Press, Fox Theatre, The Stooges, MC5, Woodfield Ave, Belle Isle etc
Lions to win the super bowl by 2495, any takers?

Last edited:
Old Detroit has a cancer. The cancer is crime, and it must be cut out before we employ the two million workers that will breathe life into this city again.

Back