Michelin Star Restaurants

I think £150 per head is a bit too much like. Maybe a special occasion. £200 for me and our lass with a couple of drinks is my limit really, but I want to be like a busted couch afterwards.
We went to Hjem just after they got their star in 2021 and it was £85 per head. I also spent about the same again on drinks just for me. I can understand why the prices have gone up but a near doubling seems a bit excessive.

We went to Hjem just after they got their star in 2021 and it was £85 per head. I also spent about the same again on drinks just for me. I can understand why the prices have gone up but a near doubling seems a bit excessive.

I could imagine quite a bit of it will have been the recent ridiculous energy price rises. Pretty sure some restaurants were seeing energy prices go from 50/60k to hundreds of thousands a year

Last edited:
I could imagine quite a bit of it will have been the recent ridiculous energy price rises. Pretty sure some restaurants were seeing enegy prices go from 50/60k to hundreds of thousands a year

I remember back in the late 90’s when chefs would put all six burners on the hob to warm the kitchen then leave them running all day.

That's the problem I have as a fussy twat. If you like Indian food and get to London anytime I'd recommend Gymkhana. It's about £100 to £115 for tasting menus which is reasonable for a Michelin star restaurant in the middle of Mayfair. The food is tremendous.
One of my favourite restaurants in London. Superb.

There's a restaurant called carousel on Charlotte street and they host a guest chef with different cuisines from around the world. I went last week and they had a chef from wahaca (the place not the restaurant) and it was simple but superb. Spicy white bean soup was delicious as we're the confit pork belly tacos. The grilled octopus was also superb. The dining room is very small and the chef plates up in the room on a mini prep station.

A lot of the ones down here have decent lunch deals. It's a limited menu but you can often get 3 courses for under £50.

Having said that, I'm not a mushroom fan but have had some fantastic mushroom dishes in Michelin starred places.
A mate of mine is ridiculously fussy. Went to The Kenilworth Cross just before it got its star, lunch menu was 25 quid with plenty of options and he had three bowls of mushroom soup. Said the starter bowl was so nice he didn’t want to risk anything else!

One of my favourite restaurants in London. Superb.

There's a restaurant called carousel on Charlotte street and they host a guest chef with different cuisines from around the world. I went last week and they had a chef from wahaca (the place not the restaurant) and it was simple but superb. Spicy white bean soup was delicious as we're the confit pork belly tacos. The grilled octopus was also superb. The dining room is very small and the chef plates up in the room on a mini prep station.
Do you remember the chef's name? Went to a couple of excellent restaurants in Oaxaca when we were there last year.

Do you remember the chef's name? Went to a couple of excellent restaurants in Oaxaca when we were there last year.
Did you eat at Casa Oaxaca el Restaurante? - nailed on to get at least one star this year now that Michelin is going to award stars in Mexico.

Yes it was called levadura de olla by thalia barrios garcia. Oaxacan flavours the menu said.

We did Myse last week, North Yorkshire bout 10 mins away from Helmsley. Wasn’t over enamoured, scollop course was absolutely amazing but thought both the fish/meat ‘main’ on the taster were a bit bland. Probably the first spring menu I’d had so welcomed the change from venison (I kna, middle class problems).

Wouldn’t rush back, but would certainly try again if I was in the area. If anyone goes there’s a banging Swedish bakery over the road that does some class rye bread & authentic scandy stuff.

Going to try Tommy Banks new one soon, Byland Abbey, dog friendly & not a taster

Did you eat at Casa Oaxaca el Restaurante? - nailed on to get at least one star this year now that Michelin is going to award stars in Mexico.

Yeah, went for the insect tostada which was a bit of an error. It's an amazing location though.
Yes it was called levadura de olla by thalia barrios garcia. Oaxacan flavours the menu said.

Didn't go to either of hers but think she was on Somebody Feed Phil? Don't think the restaurants are very veggie friendly.

Criollo was the best place we went in Oaxaca.

Last edited:
Yeah, went for the insect tostada which was a bit of an error. It's an amazing location though.

Didn't go to either of hers but think she was on Somebody Feed Phil? Don't think the restaurants are very veggie friendly.

Criollo was the best place we went in Oaxaca.
Yes the confit pork belly I don't think is vegetarian friendly.

Went up this year from £120 to £150. Understandable given the current economic climate and works out at about £2 per dish. */ Humble brag alert; First time ever in a Michelin starred restaurant where the head chef came out and greeted us with a "welcome back Mr and Mrs *******, nice to see you again". /* Humble brag alert.

Back