Michael Sheen - only welsh actors should play welsh characters

Wheres it gonna stop man we’ve had only gay characters can be played by gay actors

Same with disabled and now a bloke thats probably played 2/3 Welsh characters in 30 years of acting and has played hundreds of characters that werent Welsh has come out and said he finds it ‘ very hard to accept Welsh characters being played by actors that werent from Wales !

Is it ‘ national elitism ‘ or just people being hypocritical knobheads ?!?!

The latter for me 100%
Logon or register to see this image

Angry little nationalist is angry. It’s almost as if he has forgot it’s acting. The amount of British actors who play American characters is massive and can make their career, should they stop and only play characters that have the same accent of their own and from the same socio economic background?

He’s a bitter little man since he stopped being able to get inside Kate beckinsale each night.

Going o/t but in fairness to Sheen he's been with a string of absolute stunners over the years.

To be fair Philip Glenister kept forgetting he was Welsh in The Steeltown Murders, but I imagine most regions feel the same about their accents too. I was born in Sunderland and probably can't do a Sunderland accent these days (or decent Geordie), but it's unrealistic to suggest actors stick to accents they're born or familiar with. Maybe better voice coaches are needed?
He was a bit all over there place but he gets a free pass after the immortal line "Freeze, armed bastards!"

I agree. When I was younger I used to cringe and still do today listening to old British war films for example where supposed north east characters were played by people with Yorkshire accents. It was accepted that Co Durham/ Northumberland dialects would not be understood south of Darlington.
Some BBC documentaries based in Gateshead had sub titles .
The film Get Carter had actors from Coronation Street talking supposedly in a Durham accent !!! sounding like Salford and a disgrace.
A classic case being The Likely Lads where Terry was Sunderland born but Bob was from Bingley ??
In later years Auf Weidersein Pet was like a breath of fresh air with our twang proudly broadcast. The classic storyline filmed in Derbyshire where the pub landlord thought he was from the ‘North’ . Dennis kept him reet.

Moxy was from Hertfordshire.
Barry was from London.
If you’re good, you’re good.

He’s basically just said he can’t take a non Welsh person seriously in a Welsh role given he’s a Welshman and an actor at that. It’s merely a preference for him when watching films.
Aye but it’s easier to get angry at a clickbait headline

Whole point in it is that you're acting, playing or making people believe you are something that you aren't..
If only Welsh can play Welsh then it's not really acting now is it.

Whole point in it is that you're acting, playing or making people believe you are something that you aren't..
If only Welsh can play Welsh then it's not really acting now is it.
Yes but he isn’t saying it shouldn’t happen he’s just saying from his point of view he can’t take it seriously much like when someone fakes a north east accent we generally pick up they aren’t from round here.
Aye but it’s easier to get angry at a clickbait headline
I suppose so :lol:

I agree. When I was younger I used to cringe and still do today listening to old British war films for example where supposed north east characters were played by people with Yorkshire accents. It was accepted that Co Durham/ Northumberland dialects would not be understood south of Darlington.
Some BBC documentaries based in Gateshead had sub titles .
The film Get Carter had actors from Coronation Street talking supposedly in a Durham accent !!! sounding like Salford and a disgrace.
A classic case being The Likely Lads where Terry was Sunderland born but Bob was from Bingley ??
In later years Auf Weidersein Pet was like a breath of fresh air with our twang proudly broadcast. The classic storyline filmed in Derbyshire where the pub landlord thought he was from the ‘North’ . Dennis kept him reet
Moxy was from Hertfordshire.
Barry was from London.
If you’re good, you’re good.
Moxy and Barry did a brilliant job of sounding Scouse and West Bromwich respectively. Alun Armstrong has made many appearances as a Yorkshireman and few in his native tongue, after Our Friends Up North. My point was historically the tv/film media have tried to portray our dialect by substituting the characters with acceptable accents, a million mile away from our own so that they could be understood by the Home Counties.

All he's done is state his own personal feelings on it. Hasn't asked for it to be banned or owt. 🤷
So why didn't he keep his feeling personal? I think we all know the answer.

The whole point of acting is not to be you...it's a no brainer.

Last edited:
To me it depends on the role, minor characters why shouldn't they go with an appropriate actor IF they can muster a half-decent go at the desired accent, but if the character is one of the leads in something historical or famous in terms of geography/origin then I think every effort should be made to fit an actor with the correct voice, it should be more a case of having to justify why you didn't rather than did.

Michael Sheen comes across as a massive bellend generally. The character he played in Midnight in Paris was hardly a f***ing stretch for him

Back