Michael Sheen - only welsh actors should play welsh characters

Toronado

Winger
Wheres it gonna stop man we’ve had only gay characters can be played by gay actors

Same with disabled and now a bloke thats probably played 2/3 Welsh characters in 30 years of acting and has played hundreds of characters that werent Welsh has come out and said he finds it ‘ very hard to accept Welsh characters being played by actors that werent from Wales !

Is it ‘ national elitism ‘ or just people being hypocritical knobheads ?!?!

The latter for me 100%

Wheres it gonna stop man we’ve had only gay characters can be played by gay actors

Same with disabled and now a bloke thats probably played 2/3 Welsh characters in 30 years of acting and has played hundreds of characters that werent Welsh has come out and said he finds it ‘ very hard to accept Welsh characters being played by actors that werent from Wales !

Is it ‘ national elitism ‘ or just people being hypocritical knobheads ?!?!

The latter for me 100%

It’s shite hearing a half arsed generic North-East accent on telly when there are actual North-East actors who could do the work.

All he's done is state his own personal feelings on it. Hasn't asked for it to be banned or owt. 🤷

Yes, he's basically saying that it's probably better if Welsh characters were played by Welsh actors but saying it in the context of starring in an upcoming drama about a disabled young woman (with the question being about whether the disabled should be played by disabled people. It's worth noting that Michael Sheen does not play the young disabled woman, he plays her dad.

I agree. When I was younger I used to cringe and still do today listening to old British war films for example where supposed north east characters were played by people with Yorkshire accents. It was accepted that Co Durham/ Northumberland dialects would not be understood south of Darlington.
Some BBC documentaries based in Gateshead had sub titles .
The film Get Carter had actors from Coronation Street talking supposedly in a Durham accent !!! sounding like Salford and a disgrace.
A classic case being The Likely Lads where Terry was Sunderland born but Bob was from Bingley ??
In later years Auf Weidersein Pet was like a breath of fresh air with our twang proudly broadcast. The classic storyline filmed in Derbyshire where the pub landlord thought he was from the ‘North’ . Dennis kept him reet.

To be fair Philip Glenister kept forgetting he was Welsh in The Steeltown Murders, but I imagine most regions feel the same about their accents too. I was born in Sunderland and probably can't do a Sunderland accent these days (or decent Geordie), but it's unrealistic to suggest actors stick to accents they're born or familiar with. Maybe better voice coaches are needed?

Angry little nationalist is angry. It’s almost as if he has forgot it’s acting. The amount of British actors who play American characters is massive and can make their career, should they stop and only play characters that have the same accent of their own and from the same socio economic background?

He’s a bitter little man since he stopped being able to get inside Kate beckinsale each night.

All he's done is state his own personal feelings on it. Hasn't asked for it to be banned or owt. 🤷
Some hilarious comments already. Every time there’s a program on set round here this board says exactly the same.
Says the man who played Edinburgh born Tony Blair, Boro born Brian Clough, Kent born David Frost.
It's called 'acting' and it's not just for Michael.
Write in mate.

Back